Big River crossings /Bogong

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big River crossings /Bogong

Postby Xastorm » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 6:27 am

Hi all, planning on doing the Falls-Mt Bogong loop this weekend. This is new ground for me, and I’m not sure how the rain forecast may affect the two Big River crossings (one will be on Friday so should be okay but the other will be Sunday).
Should I anticipate Sunday could be problematic?
Cheers
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River crossings /Bogong

Postby Xplora » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 9:46 am

I am not seeing any significant rainfall this week but there may be some isolated heavy falls. Not really much of a concern for the crossings this time of year. It will rise quickly but also drop quickly after a heavy fall but what is forecast will not cause it to rise much at all. Currently the T spur crossing would be below the knees. If you are doing a loop then I assume you will be going up or down Quartz ridge and up or down Duanne and T spur. You could always do T spur crossing first and get it out of the way. You may not have to take you boots off for the other crossing or you could do the Grey Hills and cut out a crossing. Being new country for you then the Grey Hills may be better left until you have a better feel for the terrain. Timms spur is quite boring up or down. Just another road, but some people like that sort of thing. Certainly quicker walking.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks Xplora, was hoping you’d chime in! I’ll go Duane’s Spur tomorrow and the plan was to do Timms spur or the Grey hills on Sunday depending on how I’m travelling. Good to know that what is forecast shouldn’t make a significant rise in water level. Cheers :)
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xastorm » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 5:39 pm

Ended up going back via Grey Hills.. parks have done an awesome job of clearing the Grey Hills track, part of the initial climb up to Mt Arthur not so much and some bush bashing ensued after I lost the track a few times! Whoops :lol:
You were correct, the river crossing was knee high at best.
Magnificent country.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Feb, 2020 7:35 am

Good to hear. The Grey Hills is so much nicer than Timms Spur and I was not aware of the clearing apart from some up from the helipad toward Mt. Arthur. Losing the track is a common issue on the Grey Hills and I have asked for a couple of pointers at a number of key locations but seems that is a low priority. If you are switched on then it is obvious quick enough that you have taken the wrong track. One easy mistake is when you come out of the scrub to a nice wide clearing and the tendency is to follow the clearing down but the track is actually straight ahead but not obvious. It is nice to have some walks that make you think instead of following highways with signs. Looks like you beat the worst of the weather also. Still not enough rain to cause any significant rise in the river but enough to make the walk less appealing. Low cloud and no view is worse than just rain. I was wondering how much timber is down on T spur and Duanne. I know there was a big tree down across Duanne about half way up but it was a very handy size to sit on and in a good spot for a rest.

I am sure you will be back for more.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xastorm » Mon 10 Feb, 2020 9:32 am

The section up Mt Arthur past the cleared bit (and abandoned whipper snipper!!) was pretty overgrown - as in, over my head in some parts.
GH1.jpg

Once up on Grey Hills, parks have recently brush cut it at least 1.5m wide and you'd struggle to go off track now, even in a white out. I was surprised to see no track markers, surely a few arrows wouldn't go astray.
GH2.jpg

I ended up hiking from Camp Valley through to Johnston's Hut in one day to avoid the forecast rain, only for Sunday's weather to clear.. typical :lol: Made for a VERY long day and I probably didn't get as much enjoyment from Grey Hills as I would have on fresher legs. But I am still pleased I went that way versus Timms Spur, as the clouds had lifted by afternoon and I got some great views. On Bogong, not so much.. foggy and (surprise surprise) blowing a gale.
GreyHills3.jpg

Have uploaded some more photos here;
https://flickr.com/photos/77837409@N07/ ... 3043214097

Re fallen timber on Duane and T Spur, again parks have been through with a chainsaw within the past month I'd say as there were only a handful of smaller downed trees to navigate.

Need to get to the Fainters next!
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 5:57 am

Some great photos and the cloud provided good contrast and definition for the mountains. Personally I don't have a problem with no markers on the Grey Hills but as more is written about it then more will go and one regular to this forum had a great deal of difficulty finding his way over the Grey Hills without markers. I have another project running with the man who makes these decisions and will raise the matter again. He may be open to it being done for PV but there may also be some sort of formality he has to follow in order to mark a track. There is no formed track between the Grey Hills and the Spione Kopje track and that could be good until traffic gets heavy. Dispersed walking does not seem to be having an effect on the low scrub. Big effort to Johnsons hut in a day but a very nice place to end a long day. Winter walking (or skiing) though that area is also great. You can nav your way through the trees without worrying about formed tracks.

Fainters next is a good choice but when you do Grey Hills again, go the other way and maybe camp at Bogong Creek Saddle. If you have time you could try to find Cairn Creek hut and if very keen and up for a bush bash then head up Granny spur. Most people have trouble finding the hut.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 11 Feb, 2020 11:22 pm

Those photos are really good. Well done.
I am interested to hear that The Grey Hills have had a haircut. I have not been back for a few years but I might give It another go one day in the future.We found our way easily from Spion Kopje to Mt. Arthur. Coming down off Mt. Arthur was interesting finding the route and it was quite overgrown. Closer to the Old Helipad much track clearing had been done by BTAC and the route to Bogong Creek saddle was simple from thereon, humid heat , empty drink bottle and spent legs aside of course. I read somewhere that Black Possum spur has been given a haircut too.
The Fainters are great. There are some top spots to bush camp out there and water is usually not that hard to find.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria