Grampians Walk Advice?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grampians Walk Advice?

Postby adventuremum » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi
Just wanted some advice from those of you who've walked in Grampians. Doing two 3 days walks with a 13yo in early July.
Part A: 3 Day
    Day 1) Halls Gap to Bugiga
    Day 2) Bugia to Borough Huts
    Day 3) Borough Huts to Halls Gap
Part B: 3 Day: tossing up between Major Mitchell/Mt William in South and Briggs Bluff/Mt Difficult in North
    * Which would be the most spectacular for 13 yo?
    * With both these walks, do people recommend doing loops clockwise or anti-clockwise?
If Major Mitchell/Mount William
    Day 4) Sheep Hills to First Wannon
    Day 5) First Wannon to Jimmy Creek
    Day 6) Jimmy Creek to Sheep Hills (OR skip this day & do bike stash? looks like fire track?)
    OR IN REVERSE
OR Briggs Bluff/Mt Difficult
    Day 4) Beehive Falls Carpark to Briggs Bluff to Mt Difficult to Longpoint West (?or East which is nicer)
    Day 5) Longpoint West to Beehive Falls Carpark
    Day 6) Day Walk: Stapyleton or Hollow Mountain
Other Questions
    1) Grampians Peak trail's completion has been delayed from June 20 to Dec 20 and now June 21. But it sounded like some of track work has been completed? But couldn't work out where? and presume not enough to make a 5-6 day walk?
    2) It snowed last year in July @ Mt William, but trying to keep weight down (as my kid's only 40kg, so carrying 8-9kg pack(20-22% of bodyweight). If we take 4 season sleeping bags, but 3 season tent (not 4 season) does that sound OK?
    3) For x2 car camping nights, what are best campgrounds? (eg most scenic)
Thanks very much
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians Walk Advice?

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:30 am

Done all of these once only. I would say mt difficult is a great all round walk. Lots of variety, lots of everything. Mitchell is more about the platuea which is truly beautiful and feels a world away. Both are difficult walks in my opinion requiring a bit of endurance.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby J M » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:30 am

I've also walked around Mt. Difficult, Major Mitchell Plateau and the Stapylton area. You really can't go wrong - they're all beautiful walks.

Mt. Difficult I would do anti-clockwise as from memory there is a moderately steep section coming down from Briggs Bluff. Neither of the Longpoint campsites are particularly interesting in my opinion but will give you more shelter than camping up higher.

I did the Major Mitchell loop clockwise but like you say, there is a bit of road walking at the end from Jimmy Creek. Bikes would be a good option if you are comfortable leaving them and riding with packs. I would recommend checking if the plateau track is open, as I believe it was closed when I looked a few weeks ago.

Weather wise, a three season tent will be fine as I can't imagine there being so much snow that it overloads a tent. Be prepared for it to be bitterly cold if the weather comes in though, I've had some very icy days - especially up on the Plateau.

Apart from that, enjoy!
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Amahb » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi,
We did the Mt Difficult circuit clockwise from BeeHive Falls car park last Cup weekend.
3 kids aged, 9, 11 and 13.
We camped at Longpoint East, its small and we had the place to ourselves. We lugged water up the hill as I could not find information on it. There is a creek 50mts before the camp and another one maybe 400mts past so water is not an issue. We liked camping here, not much view but I felt it was a good choice compared to when we passed through West campground the next day.
Longpoint West has newish drop toilets and tank water and a communal fireplace area. It is bigger with several purpose built flat areas. There was one other group there when we went past. I don’t feel its nicer than East as you are looking onto the toilets from most spots that I could see.
The walk for the kids was fine but the first day did get us all working. The track has been slightly altered from the map and I think it was slightly longer, there are signs but I cant remember the details.
I think this is a great walk for the kids with great views and exciting walking.
For car camping we like Stapleton, Plantation and Jimmy Creek.
Have fun.
Amahb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby adventuremum » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi All
Thanks for all those comments, suggestions & updates on tracks etc. Really appreciated.
Have decided to do Mt Difficult (+ 3 Peaks) & come back & do Major Mitchell another time...
Cheers
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 8:45 pm

Mt Difficult is brilliant. I go there over and over again. I I always walk it clockwise. There is the new route and the old route. I take the old one as it gives great views of Mt Difficult and the walk along the plateau above Beehive falls is great.

Long Point East isn’t much of a campsite, and Long Point West is OK. Dispersed camping is allowed in most of that area, so I’d push on for Mt Difficult. You cross a ridge and then get to the old, closed campsite just below the summit. If you back track over that last ridge, there are some nice rock shelves to camp on - weather permitting. If you camp here, you can walk up to the summit for sunset and will be able to wake up with sunrise.

The last reliable water is the spring that crosses the track just before Long Point West or the tank attached to the dunny at the camp site.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adventuremum » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Tino
Thanks. Camping near ridge sounds really great if weather is OK ( with Longpoint West as back-up if weather is bad)
Is old route obvious? With trail markers or on map?
Have Northern Grampians SV 1:50,000 map (3rd ed, 2019) & it's confusing with lots of bits of partial tracks.
Does anyone have old map, which they could do screenshot of, so I can see old route?
Thanks again everyone. What a great community with info sharing...
Cheers
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:27 am

I can’t find a PDF of the old track but have an image file. I’ll look for the PDF but I can also make a map from AllTrails and send it to you.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:41 am

I cannot find the pdf maps on the new Parks Victoria web site either but the map is here (through the Avenza app)

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/815673/ ... cult-range

This shows the old route. You can see the new route here in orange (ignore the off track part near the pins)
Attachments
Screenshot_20200624-055430_Avenza Maps_copy_118x267.jpg
Screenshot_20200624-055430_Avenza Maps_copy_118x267.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 39262 times
CraigVIC

Postby Bill P » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi Adventuremum,

The Fortress might be good with a 13yo. Camping in a cave is a heap of fun.

Not as strenuous as the others you're looking at.

Bill
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 1:06 pm

Here's a map of Mt Difficult that I made in AllTrails.
Attachments
alltrails-map-d072677--16.pdf
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 814 times
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 1:32 pm

Excellent map and notes Tino B
CraigVIC

Postby adventuremum » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks so much Tino B, the map and notes are great. I feel much more confident now of finding start of old track
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 11:51 pm

I tried to overnight hike Mt. Difficult yesterday, got to the point where you choose the long or short route to the Mt. (past Brigg's bluff turnouff).
The weather forecast was 0 to 1 mm of rain. It was a very big 1mm of rain if that was accurate.
I saw the another shower coming in from the junction as I was having lunch.
I had been slipping a bit over rocks at that point, and the views for the previous 2 hours were drizzle.
NRLW4582s.jpg

Being old (47), fat, and wearing trail runners with apparently poor grip, something they'd not had on previous hikes, said 'that's it'.
So, I headed back.
I did try the old way up, but wasn't successful. It's just after the climb from the overhang where there's a bit of a drip in spring/shower in winter.
Just past the last steps from Beehive falls.
IMG_2002s.jpg

My runners wouldn't grip the rocks, made slippery by the water running down the rocks, so I went up by the newer route.
The GPS (according to the exif data on my phone) of the junction with the old route is: (36.58.31/142.27.2) and this is what it looked like (with some (un)-helpful route marking how far I got before realising my ambition far exceeded my capability and returned by the dignified derierre on the rocks-feet in front descent manoeuvre, observed by a nice couple who happily didn't follow my example and try the 'short cut').

IMG_2007-x.jpg
IMG_2007-x.jpg (146.4 KiB) Viewed 38672 times
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 8:39 am

It's amazing the difference shoes can make to your confidence. I tried some Asics trail runners at one stage and walks on rocks went from nothing special to actually scary. They were relegated to around town shoes pretty quickly.
CraigVIC

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 9:00 am

Yeah, it's not good when you feel like you're walking on mud/ice.
I might try a different pair, but I'll probably just wait until the weather is better and hope we're not in another lockdown.
Tangentially related, there was big group of people, mostly kids and youths, plus some who should know better setting off for Brigg's bluff when I was getting gear out of the car.
Then on the way back down, another big group of young-uns with some grey-haired folks sitting at the top of the steps at Beehive falls.
No social distancing, nothing. Not sure if it was a youth group, church group, extended family, but they aren't helping much.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MulgaBill » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 11:32 am

P1170298.JPG
Taipan wall Mt Stapylton
Can advise the GPT in the Northern Grampians section is effectively complete (ie traversible) from Mt Zero to Halls Gap, except for the GPT campsites (Troopers Ck Campsite OK) However at present there are numerous NO ENTRY signs advising the walking track is temporarily closed so you need to use your discretion whether to proceed or not. Independent campsites not associated with the GPT are available along the track. (Near Roses Gap, near summit of Mt Difficult and between Bluffs above Long Gully Ck - Peak 756). Watch out for turnoff to the left prior to reaching Wartook campsite - otherwise you will spend half an hour trying to work out where the track is within the maze of designated campsites. (yet to be completed). At peak 829 ignore the track leading back to Mt Difficult Rd. Otherwise you will need to walk 1km down the road to reconnect with GPT. This walk when completed will prove popular as there are enough features and views to satisfy any walker. Enjoy!
MulgaBill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wobbly » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks Mulga. Looking forward to doing this soon, open or not..Wondering if you used the Troopers creek approach to Mt Difficult or the Beehive?
wobbly

Postby MulgaBill » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 10:12 pm

Stayed at Troopers upon arrival but nxt day drove to Mt Zero where the GPT starts. Spent nxt 4 days (3 nights) along the trail to Halls Gap. Can thoroughly recommend, noting passed thru Troopers Ck on Day 2 without stopping except for morning tea. Approach from Beehive clearly shorter but suspect Troopers Ck approach is more interesting which also includes several waterfalls. Allow 20 mins (one way) to reach Briggs Bluff from Junction. Good Luck.
MulgaBill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FNM » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi guys.

My brother and I are looking at doing a Grampians hike in the next week or two. Very lucky not to be living in Melbourne. The last pieces of our gear have just arrived so we’re ready to go. Just a quick question as we don’t have a PLB or the like, yet. Just wondering how well marked the above mentioned trails are?

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 3:14 pm

A PLB won't help with navigation, it has another job. There are numerous apps for your phone that can tell you where you are, possibly even better than a dedicated GPS unit. Just make sure you have offline maps and aren't relying on reception.
CraigVIC

Postby FNM » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:09 pm

CraigVIC wrote:A PLB won't help with navigation, it has another job. There are numerous apps for your phone that can tell you where you are, possibly even better than a dedicated GPS unit. Just make sure you have offline maps and aren't relying on reception.

Ah yep, I was coming more from the angle of ‘how likely am I to get lost?’ .. offline maps is a good idea. Ta
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:27 pm

FNM wrote:Hi guys.

My brother and I are looking at doing a Grampians hike in the next week or two. Very lucky not to be living in Melbourne. The last pieces of our gear have just arrived so we’re ready to go. Just a quick question as we don’t have a PLB or the like, yet. Just wondering how well marked the above mentioned trails are?

Cheers

Well marked trails at Mt Difficult and Wonderland (Pinnacle/Mt. Rosea) areas.
Often with yellow triangles pointing the way.
But take an app like Avenza maps and download free maps from GetLost.
Also there are PDFs from Parks which have GIS information and so work with apps like Avenza.
Always nice to know you're on the trail if in doubt and how far you've gone or go to go.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:53 pm

You'll be fine, there are few junctions and you won't lose the track itself.
CraigVIC

Postby FNM » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 8:20 pm

Great! Thank you. Is Mt Difficult just an overnighter? Sounds like a pretty cool hike. If we wanted a 2-3 nighter and a decent little workout, would Part A from the opening post be a good choice? Or Major Mitchell/Mt William?
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:00 pm

Doing Difficult and Major Mitchell as 2 overnighters is an option. Day 2 of Difficult can be done and dusted in less than 3 hours - I’ve done it in 2:00:37 but pushing.

Sheep hills car park to First Wannon is 3-4 hours. Even if you take longer, plenty of time to do it.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:05 pm

Tino B wrote:Doing Difficult and Major Mitchell as 2 overnighters is an option. Day 2 of Difficult can be done and dusted in less than 3 hours - I’ve done it in 2:00:37 but pushing.

Sheep hills car park to First Wannon is 3-4 hours. Even if you take longer, plenty of time to do it.

Cool! Sounds like I should grab some maps and get an idea of it in my head - thanks.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 6:25 am

FNM wrote:Great! Thank you. Is Mt Difficult just an overnighter? Sounds like a pretty cool hike. If we wanted a 2-3 nighter and a decent little workout, would Part A from the opening post be a good choice? Or Major Mitchell/Mt William?

You could do the Wonderland section of the Grampians Peaks trail (A above). It's Hall's Gap to Bugiga day 1 (via the Pinnacle, so that'll get you puffing with a pack), Bugiga to Borough Huts day 2 (via Mt. Rosea, so more puffing), then bit of a road bash back to HG via a fire trail on day 3. Without all us virus ridden city folk, booking shouldn't be a problem and the path is well marked and it's a good intro to hiking if you don't mind puffing a lot. (It could be I'm a fat old *&%$#!, which explains the puffing). Also, if you get to Wonderland carpark and realize your gear's not up to it, it's only an hour back to HG for fish and chips and drink.

Mt Difficult is a bit 'rougher' than the above (it's getting/got the Grampians Peaks Trail make over), so probably the same, but it feels more isolated (except Beehive falls) and more of a adventure.
I've not been to Major Mitchell plateau, but I read is closed for Grampians Peaks Trail work past 1st Wannon camp, so you'd be hiking from Sheep Hills to 1st Wannon, then back out the same way the next day.
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/places-to- ... ll-plateau
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:36 am

Baeng72 wrote:
FNM wrote:Great! Thank you. Is Mt Difficult just an overnighter? Sounds like a pretty cool hike. If we wanted a 2-3 nighter and a decent little workout, would Part A from the opening post be a good choice? Or Major Mitchell/Mt William?

You could do the Wonderland section of the Grampians Peaks trail (A above). It's Hall's Gap to Bugiga day 1 (via the Pinnacle, so that'll get you puffing with a pack), Bugiga to Borough Huts day 2 (via Mt. Rosea, so more puffing), then bit of a road bash back to HG via a fire trail on day 3. Without all us virus ridden city folk, booking shouldn't be a problem and the path is well marked and it's a good intro to hiking if you don't mind puffing a lot. (It could be I'm a fat old *&%$#!, which explains the puffing). Also, if you get to Wonderland carpark and realize your gear's not up to it, it's only an hour back to HG for fish and chips and drink.

Mt Difficult is a bit 'rougher' than the above (it's getting/got the Grampians Peaks Trail make over), so probably the same, but it feels more isolated (except Beehive falls) and more of a adventure.
I've not been to Major Mitchell plateau, but I read is closed for Grampians Peaks Trail work past 1st Wannon camp, so you'd be hiking from Sheep Hills to 1st Wannon, then back out the same way the next day.

I like the idea of ‘feels more isolated’! That said, both sound great and I’m sure I’ll knock them both over in the not too distant future. Sounds like Maj Mitchell is closed for now. Can’t wait for that 13-day epic. Thanks for the info! I’ll do some more digging and then try and figure out dates and the like. I’m setup for around -5 degrees, so assuming that’ll be fine. Water is the other thing we’ll need to think about. Am yet to fork out on a filter, but ready to purchase one - just not sure if I need it before taking on these hikes. We’ve had a bit of rain down my way Bellarine/Surf Coast recently, so imagine streams would have water in them if they’ve received the same.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:58 am

FNM wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

I like the idea of ‘feels more isolated’! That said, both sound great and I’m sure I’ll knock them both over in the not too distant future. Sounds like Maj Mitchell is closed for now. Can’t wait for that 13-day epic. Thanks for the info! I’ll do some more digging and then try and figure out dates and the like. I’m setup for around -5 degrees, so assuming that’ll be fine. Water is the other thing we’ll need to think about. Am yet to fork out on a filter, but ready to purchase one - just not sure if I need it before taking on these hikes. We’ve had a bit of rain down my way Bellarine/Surf Coast recently, so imagine streams would have water in them if they’ve received the same.

I camped at Bugiga early June last year, and it was about 4c and clear, and my -5 synthetic bag was fine.

Water should be easy to come by until summer (was at Mt. Difficult last September and just recently and water was flowing).
As for filtering, if it's flowing and you're not downstream from a campsite/toxic waste dump it's probably OK (not an expert), but a Sawyer mini isn't too expensive and is good for filtering, if a bit slow.
You can also chuck in a chlorine tablet if you really want to nuke anything in your water.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Victoria