Great Ocean Walk - tank water levels

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great Ocean Walk - tank water levels

Postby ccar » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 9:47 am

I will be doing a section of the Great Ocean Walk soon and I have contacted Parks VIC about the water levels in the tanks at the campsites.

My question to the experts:

- If a tank was last checked on 12/1 and it was 70% full, do you think I could rely on it 10-12 days later? We have had mild temps and a little rain in SW Vic since then.

Just trying to work out how much water I need to carry.

Thanks!
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Great Ocean Walk - tank water levels

Postby Eremophila » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 7:35 pm

How accessible is the campsite, I.e. is it accessible by vehicle? If so it will cop a lot of wastage from the summer crowds.

We had a decent amount of rain in Warrnambool last Friday/Saturday, and little bits since then. I reckon this has been a wetter summer than normal, and I’ve not heard any complaints in the past about lack of water.

Keep an eye out for the tigers :wink:
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ccar » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 6:06 am

No vehicle access, it's a hike-in site only.

For the 2 days (1 night), I think I'll just take 3 litres (instead of 5) and hope to be able to topup from the tank for the second day with another 2 litres for the 4-5 hours walking.

Thanks
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Out_Walking » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 10:38 pm

Parks Vic are usually pretty good with info on the water tanks. In January a couple of years ago the tank at Devils Kitchen was dry for quite a few weeks. Apparently someone left the tap running? No idea, but that's what Parks told me. There are two tanks there though, so no idea what shenanigans were going on at the time. Anyway, before the walk I left a water drop in the bush at the Wreck Beach carpark and collected what I needed on the way through to Devils Kitchen. There were a couple of other water drops in the bush at the same spot. Depends on which bits of the walk you're doing of course.
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria