Water at the Prom

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water at the Prom

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 11:27 am

Hey all!

Just a bit of a noob question, but searching the parks website (and here) has me wondering about water at a few of the campsites. I'll be camping at Oberon Bay, Halfway Hut, and Roaring Meg in a couple of weeks. I have found on these forums that there's a tank at Halfway hut, but unsure about Roaring Meg and Oberon bay. Are there similar setups to Sealers and Refuge with some running water for filtering? Or should we keep an eye out for streams to collect from?

Thanks in advance!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Water at the Prom

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:07 pm

The website has some information about water:
https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/souther ... ight-hikes
If you click on the 'more' link you'll get water information.
Oberon Bay says no water. I think there was a water tank at the toilet, but Parks says no water. The camp is next to the creek. The water is brackish, so perhaps you could walk towards Telegraph Junction a bit and then bush-bash to the creek to collect water or carry it in.
Roaring Meg has water from a creek.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:18 pm

I have no idea how I missed that on the parks page :lol:

Thanks so much. Any idea how far upstream you should go (roughly) to get fresh water?
There's three of us, so might just be easier to carry in from the previous camp. We are only doing a short walk that day from Halfway hut to enjoy the beach for the day, so carrying more in shouldn't be too hard either.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:32 pm

Dexter wrote:I have no idea how I missed that on the parks page :lol:

Thanks so much. Any idea how far upstream you should go (roughly) to get fresh water?
There's three of us, so might just be easier to carry in from the previous camp. We are only doing a short walk that day from Halfway hut to enjoy the beach for the day, so carrying more in shouldn't be too hard either.

To be honest, I have no idea.
I think it's better to carry it in if you can.
There's water at the other camps, carry extra if you're coming from Tidal River, or you can stop at Halfway Hut, which is about 5km from Oberon Bay (if you're passing through Telegraph Junction, it's not a long detour to Halfway hut to collect water).
From Telegraph Saddle you pass MacCalister creek, and Growler Creek, so you can collect there. From Waterloo Bay, you cross several creeks before Telegraph Junction.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:38 pm

We are walking from Telegraph to Roaring meg. Then to southern point, back up to half way hut, then off to Oberon and finish at Tidal River. I'll just get everyone to carry more from Halfway Hut I reckon. Thanks again!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:51 pm

This might help with how far things are apart, where to pick up water.
prom.JPG
Prom
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 1:30 pm

Cheers, yeah I've have a good look at the maps online, and have everything loaded into GPS. I'll buy a hard copy topo map at the info center at Tidal as well. Thanks heaps for your help!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 6:40 pm

There is a rain water tank at Oberon Bay. It collects rain water that runs off the dunny roof and guttering.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 6:49 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:There is a rain water tank at Oberon Bay. It collects rain water that runs off the dunny roof and guttering.

I did see that tank last time I was there (Easter 2019), but I didn't test it.
I'm just saying what Parks are saying.
The weird thing is, they did work on Oberon campsite in the interim, but don't seem to have marked that tank as potable. Perhaps because it will dry out if all campers use it?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 19 Jan, 2021 7:12 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:There is a rain water tank at Oberon Bay. It collects rain water that runs off the dunny roof and guttering.
Interesting to know. I might call up prom info and see what they say. There should have been fairly consistent rainfall of late, but as mentioned by Baeng perhaps it runs out quick and shouldn't be relied upon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Anotherjonesy » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 8:57 am

I'm there Saturday night, I can you let you know if there's water in tank when I get back. Should be obscene crowds but I'm doing the aawt in 6 weeks so this weekend's walk is avoiding the heat down there...

Anyone know if you can just park at the overnight park without checking in at the office like they say you have to?
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 9:02 am

Assuming you've got a booking, just let them know you're starting at a weird time, and if the gate's open to the overnight parking, there shouldn't be a problem.
In mid 2020, I let them know I was starting for Sealer's Cove early to meet the tide, and they didn't require that I check in. However, parking at that time of year was at Telegraph Saddle instead of Overnight parking.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Anotherjonesy » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 9:19 am

Ok thanks for that
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Dexter » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 9:59 am

Anotherjonesy wrote:I'm there Saturday night, I can you let you know if there's water in tank when I get back.

That would be amazing! Thank you. :)

Yeah, I think you're meant to just leave a camp booking print out on your dash? It's all a little complicated if you ask me. Last time I was there, we initially parked in the overnight carpark, and waited for the shuttle bus. We asked the driver about the shuttle service during the week (only runs on weekends) when we were to return, and she just said to follow her up to Telegraph Saddle and park it up there if we liked.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 1:12 pm

Just for anyone else who may look at this thread in the future. I spoke to the prom info centre, they said they don't list water as available at Oberon Bay campground as the rain water tank frequently empties with the number of visitors who use it or leave it running. Best to carry enough water in and not rely on it. Given there's been a bit of rain around lately, and it looks like we will get some when we are walking (29th to the 1st) I'd say there will be water there. I'll take extra though in case there isn't.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 2:00 pm

Dexter wrote:Just for anyone else who may look at this thread in the future. I spoke to the prom info centre, they said they don't list water as available at Oberon Bay campground as the rain water tank frequently empties with the number of visitors who use it or leave it running. Best to carry enough water in and not rely on it. Given there's been a bit of rain around lately, and it looks like we will get some when we are walking (29th to the 1st) I'd say there will be water there. I'll take extra though in case there isn't.

Thanks Dexter!
If you can, report back on the water situation after your trip.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Out_Walking » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 10:48 pm

Oberon Bay is a funny one. Years ago, I swore I used to get water out of the creek next to camp area? I've been there for three summer trips in the past four years and the creek is more or less a stagnant wasteland though. I've no idea if it's correct, but I was told it's been that way as it was realigned after the biblical floods/landslips in 2011. In each of my recent trips the tank at Oberon Bay has been bone dry. I'd be absolutely shocked if there's water in that little tank at this time of the year.
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Anotherjonesy » Sun 24 Jan, 2021 5:52 pm

G'day Dexter , just back from there after trudging through 35kms today, cooked!
Oberon bay campsite has two thumping big tanks. Only thing is it trickles out of the tap barely more than a dribble( still enough to fill bottles), so not sure if it's a poor tap, or it's really low? There is plenty of water around the prom, would of walked past at least 20 water sources today. Wet spell coming this week should give it a nice top up
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Dexter » Sun 24 Jan, 2021 7:41 pm

Anotherjonesy wrote:G'day Dexter , just back from there after trudging through 35kms today, cooked!
Oberon bay campsite has two thumping big tanks. Only thing is it trickles out of the tap barely more than a dribble( still enough to fill bottles), so not sure if it's a poor tap, or it's really low? There is plenty of water around the prom, would of walked past at least 20 water sources today. Wet spell coming this week should give it a nice top up

Ahh good to know! Yeah there looks to be a top up on the way. Thanks for the info! Most appreciated.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria