Greater Otway NP in October - weather??? etc

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Greater Otway NP in October - weather??? etc

Postby eddie the eagle » Sun 09 May, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi All,

I don't have the local knowledge of coastal Vic, particularly how cold and unpredictable weather changes can be in Oct.

This is a bump of the issues with apologies in advance as nobody responded to an earlier post.

Here's some of the issues I identified.

(1) Is there anything in particular to look out for on the walk re: safety? anything else? Thunderstorm season?

(2) How much water is available? (I carry a MSR gravity filter, spare cartridge, iodine and puritabs as backup, gotta love duty of care as leader.)

(3) I'm looking at the first week in Oct to do the walk, after the Vic school holidays finish. Looking at the BOM site, is the weather drizzle one day out of two??? Need for extreme cold gear???? What sort of gear should kids have to get them through safely - my key priority (did I also mention that their average household income is $24K p.a. so new expensive gear is not an option?) I don't have the local knowledge on how unpredictable and cold the weather can be.

(4) Parks and Wildlife told me that snakes can be an issue (probably more near the fresh water - tigers & copperheads, I'd be guessing.) Are they scaremongering? [and yes, I am familiar with snakes - tigers are one of the few that can get aggressive first, as you know.]

(5) I've driven the Great Ocean Road twice, but not walked the GOW. Looking through the Parks VIc notes (the only tracknotes that I can find,) they quote 5 hours to do 14km. Is the track that steep/difficult?

http://svc015.wic028p.server-web.com/re ... ow-faq.pdf

(6) Is there anything else that I should know about? The one thing I do not have is the local knowledge.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Greater Otway NP in October - weather??? etc

Postby Maelgwn » Sun 09 May, 2010 6:39 pm

Hey eddie

I went to this area at about the same time last year. Yes we had drizzle every day and a fair bit of wind but weather was reasonable. There was a pretty big storm the night before we left but it actually cleared up all right. The weather is unstable at that time of year so you could have anything weather wise. I would think extreme cold gear is not needed but good rain gear is. Im not a local either so can't help much.

Every Parks campsite has water tanks that are fine to drink from. There is a sign saying treat it but its collected rainwater so will be no problems. We didn't filter or treat at all.

In general the times are quite generous for experienced walkers and we could assume included breaks. The track is mostly not steep or difficult but has some slow sandy sections and a bit of rugged terrain ... So times are generous but still in the ball park of what most people would do.

I wouldn't worry about snakes. But then again I never do. Anyway, they are scared of us and not vice versa. I guess to talk your party about them before you go if they need it.

We had a great deal of trouble communicating with Parks Vic before the trip. Anyway make sure you book well in advance and use your own judgement about their advice.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby trickos » Mon 10 May, 2010 11:11 am

I guess you could call me a local as I live in Geelong - and travel along the Great Ocean Road regularly although have never done the full walk.
September and October are the two months with the highest monthly rainfall. October has very changeable weather and we can get regular cold fronts that bring icy winds from the South.
Having said that we can also have long periods of stable warm weather. Unfortunately this time of the year is a mystery and very difficult to plan for.
Snakes are generally starting to get active that time of year after winter - Blanket Bay is notorious for Tiger Snakes. I'm writing this not to scare you but to inform you, the previous post is correct though, they are more scared of us and Tiger snakes rarely rear up.
Also, there is a great map that Parks have put out and you can get it online at the Melbourne Map Shop for $14.95. Its a 1:25000 Topo and is called Information guide and Map to The Great Ocean Walk.
Here is the link:
http://www.melbmap.com.au/cgi-bin/site/ ... =2026&Sno=
Best of Luck,

Dale.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby eddie the eagle » Mon 10 May, 2010 8:37 pm

HI Maelgwyn/Dale,

Thanks a lot for the great info and links.

Should clarify, I've had tigers and red-bellies regularly in my yard in the past - in breeding season, tigers used to go on the attack if you got close to a nest - probably as they bear live young, not eggs. (Pity that I didn't have a lazy 10 million, the paddocks next to my yard are now a Mirvac gated estate.) Just wondering what snakes to brief the kids on, and no, I'm not scared or concerned in the slightest. I'm used to dealing with them.

If anyone else has any information that may be of use, please continue to post it.

THanks again and;

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GerryDuke » Mon 10 May, 2010 8:52 pm

There was a very good documentary on the Great Ocean Walk on National Geographic Chanel yesterday. Did anyone else see it? Made you want to do it.

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site
Region: Tasmania

Postby eddie the eagle » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:52 pm

HI Gerry,

This one?

http://theartofwalking.com.au/

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 May, 2010 7:54 pm

eddie the eagle wrote:Should clarify, I've had tigers and red-bellies regularly in my yard in the past - in breeding season, tigers used to go on the attack if you got close to a nest - probably as they bear live young, not eggs.

That's the only time they're a problem - do not get between a mother and its young as they're very protective. But in October, that's not likely to be an issue.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GerryDuke » Tue 11 May, 2010 8:09 pm

That's the one Eddie. I have only been as far as Apollo Bay. The doco is very nice with some great aerial shots.

Must spend a few days there when I can organize the time.

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby trickos » Wed 12 May, 2010 5:00 pm

Its definately on my to do list.
Although having spent a bit of time down there, I know the track can get pretty busy with organised tour groups etc. It's great to see Television documentaries and I'm sure this will add to the demand. It's a well trodden path.
I read recently the walk is to be extended somewhat at the 12 Apostles end.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby eddie the eagle » Sat 29 May, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the info - planning going well at this stage.

NNW - agree - Probably seen 2-3000 snakes in the bush at least. Having been chased by two of them (one Browns, one Tiger) in the middle of summer (Brindabellas and my backyard - 15 years apart,) as well as having a Redbelly running through the house once, I'm familiar with their foibles - wondering if it was overkill in the warnings or not.

Dale, thanks for the map info - will be ordering on once I clear the hurdles this end re: gaining permission in a government school.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria