'Not' FHAC - campsites?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

'Not' FHAC - campsites?

Postby adg » Sat 20 Jan, 2024 2:29 pm

Hi folks,

Partner has expressed a desire to hike in the High Country over the Aus Day weekend. Based on fittness, skill level, etc. thinking about following the Falls-Hotham crossing route, but avoiding Cope/Dibbins campsites since they'll be overrun.

So, currently have in mind Ryders Yards for night one since we've been there before & know it's not too much of a water carry for the overnight.

Bit undecided about night two - was thinking either Blairs Hut or Young's Top Hut. Seems like the trade-off is a bit more distance for Blairs vs. a bigger water carry for Young's, or am I missing something??

What's the opinion? Which is the better campsite??
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: 'Not' FHAC - campsites?

Postby Camminata » Sat 20 Jan, 2024 2:37 pm

Might be better dropping down into Westons Hut night two, good chance Bourke St & tiktok influencers are not here..., has a water source also......beautiful spot too
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 20 Jan, 2024 5:36 pm

Basalt Temple area second night. Not that far from Dibbins, but you'd need to find/carry water.
Blairs Hut is nice, and at the bottom of the track that goes past Westons, so your last day would be about an hour walking to Dibbins area before your back on FHAC.
Or if you're a masochist, you could head up the Diamantina Spur, and along the Razorback to Hotham.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 7:18 am

adg wrote:Hi folks,

Partner has expressed a desire to hike in the High Country over the Aus Day weekend. Based on fittness, skill level, etc. thinking about following the Falls-Hotham crossing route, but avoiding Cope/Dibbins campsites since they'll be overrun.

So, currently have in mind Ryders Yards for night one since we've been there before & know it's not too much of a water carry for the overnight.

Bit undecided about night two - was thinking either Blairs Hut or Young's Top Hut. Seems like the trade-off is a bit more distance for Blairs vs. a bigger water carry for Young's, or am I missing something??

What's the opinion? Which is the better campsite??

Just confirming your start and finish points to better gauge your daily travel but some info before that. If you are starting at Falls it will be a big day to Ryders if you go via Heathy Spur. If you are travelling to Hotham it will be a bigger third day from the other sites but not impossible.

Ryders to Youngs, Westons, Blairs is only a short walk but there is good water at each site. Water at Youngs is from the creek line you follow down as you walk in and there was a pipe. I think there was a sign but not sure if it is still there. If headed toward Hotham after Ryders you can continue on the aqueduct until it finishes then continue off track on the north eastern side of Mt. Jim. Pretty much follow the High Plains Creek line up and eventually you will make contact with the pole line. That will avoid going all the way back to Cope Saddle hut and up to pole 333. If you are headed to Westons or Blairs you could do a similar thing but instead pick your way up to the right of Mt. Jim. There might still be some horse trapyards up there. You will pick up the pole line again and go right to pole 333. The navigation is easy but you might have to pick your way around a few bogs and fens.

I don't see any big water carries at the moment and personally would not carry more than 2 litres while walking.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adg » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 9:50 am

Thanks all for confirming the water situation at the various sites.

Based on info thus far night two is now a toss-up between Youngs or Westons. Ahhh, so many choices!

Xplora wrote:Just confirming your start and finish points to better gauge your daily travel but some info before that. If you are starting at Falls it will be a big day to Ryders if you go via Heathy Spur. If you are travelling to Hotham it will be a bigger third day from the other sites but not impossible.

Yeah, acknowledge that days 1 & 3 are bigger. Will probably take advantage of shorter day two to explore the area a bit more (e.g. following the aqueduct as you described). Partner tends to noisy after the 20km mark & tops out at about 25km, so day 1 seems doable (wouldn't try without daylight saving). Depending on how we feel on the day, might slip the shuttle bus driver some extra $$ to take us around to Langford's Gap instead of Heathy Spur. But personally would prefer to include it since I haven't been there before.

Baeng72 wrote:Or if you're a masochist, you could head up the Diamantina Spur, and along the Razorback to Hotham.

I might be a masochist, but I'm not into having my life prematurely ended by a grumpy partner :lol:
(btw: have enjoyed some of your huffin' & puffin' YouTube trip reports)
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 3:02 pm

adg wrote:Based on info thus far night two is now a toss-up between Youngs or Westons. Ahhh, so many choices!

I would have a preference to go to Youngs as there are more options to pitch a tent compared to Westons. Blairs is not much further but might have a few customers. Still more places to pitch. Westons would be cramped if you have company. If you get to Youngs early you could try to find the waterfall. That would soak up some afternoon. Not much to do at Westons except enjoy the view and at Blairs you might see a Platypus. High Plains Creek runs to a pretty spectacular waterfall and if you keep your eye out you will find the track to it after Ryders. That would be a couple of hours diversion on the way to Youngs. I tend not to follow pole lines where possible but am not inclined to give out too much information as the next thing it will be tagged on insta. The waterfall used to be a secret spot as well but insta and social media has spoilt that.

The FHAC has its tourist walk but there is still the bushwalkers walk with a couple of variations. I am not about to disclose them. Anyone who does that here will earn my ire but those with some experience can work it out. Day one would still be on the usual route but that can't be helped.

Heading to Ryders instead of the Cope hut camping will only cost a bit over an hour so I think it is worth it. It is easy walking with no climbs to speak of from BHP road. Lops tells me there is a toilet at Ryders now. Bonus.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adg » Mon 22 Jan, 2024 6:02 pm

Sounds like Youngs is the go.

Thanks for the tips - day two is shaping up to be a very enjoyable mooch around the plains.

Xplora wrote:I am not about to disclose them.

Amen to that.
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 9:25 am

adg wrote:Sounds like Youngs is the go.

Thanks for the tips - day two is shaping up to be a very enjoyable mooch around the plains.

Xplora wrote:I am not about to disclose them.

Amen to that.

I'll send you a PM with some info that might help. Nothing too secretive but better not public.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 11:43 am

There's good advice above. Consider starting at the Cope Hut car park or nearby and going west. This avoids a lot of road bashing on the aqueduct. How do you feel about going off track?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria