Drinking water beta for Great Dividing Trail

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Drinking water beta for Great Dividing Trail

Postby arhill » Wed 27 Mar, 2024 1:00 pm

Hi - I'll be hiking the Great Dividing Trail this Easter - specifically the Lerderderg, Dry Diggings, and Leanganook sections (northbound).

I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, but I've got a few maps and GPXs of the tracks from the great dividing trail association - and they are in the all alltrails app too - so actually finding my way shouldnt be a problem. I am however, having a lot of trouble finding any good information about drinking water - and really dont want to be carrying days worth at a time.

Can anyone tell me what the water situation on these tracks is - and ideally point me at a resource that lists possible sources ?

Thanks.
arhill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Drinking water beta for Great Dividing Trail

Postby arhill » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 12:17 pm

..I'll reply to my own post, 'cause now I know ... it was a great walk - took me 7 days. As I feared - water was a challenge - although contrary to expectations, only the Lerderderg section was a problem. I got pretty dehydrated in that section - and it would have been worse, if not for a lucky accident - I missed a turn, and discovered a lovely campsite and water source at Margarets corner.

Dry diggings and Leanganook were not so much of a problem, for probably 3 reasons - 1. There was a significant weather event on the 3rd night - 45mm of rain in 8 hours - cooled things down a lot, and meant the creeks were running - even tho I didnt actually need to dip into them, because 2. The touristy mineral springs, and 3. The trail follows a couple of aquaducts into Castlemaine and especially Bendigo. Also, aside from Mt Alexander and Dog rocks, the Leanganook section is pretty easy / fast compared to the others.

..so in the dry and heat, I really needed to be better at finding water or carrying 6+ liters for the Lerderderg section (I was carrying less than 4), and for the other two sections, 3 or 4 liters would have been plenty. (of course, I carried 6+ for these).
arhill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Drinking water beta for Great Dividing Trail

Postby Casparvitch » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 12:25 pm

Aside from the water, how did you like the track?

Any particular sections you'd recommend/avoid?
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria