New to hiking

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

New to hiking

Postby snoop75 » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to do some overnight hiking / camping / photography soon. I've spent the last couple of months researching and buying some basic camping gear. I'm thinking about doing the Prom Circuit (2 night / 3 day version) this winter. Love the cold so miserable weather at this time of the year shouldn't be a problem, I hope.

Trouble is none of my friends are interested in overnight hikes so I'm planning to bite the bullet and go on my own. Are the overnight camp sites safe to camp at if you're not in a group? Do many people here ever hike / camp alone?

Thanks n Cheers

snoop
snoop75
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: New to hiking

Postby timmy_pete » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi Snoop,

The Prom circuit is lovely. I've walked it a number of times over the years, including a winter solo in 132km/h winds*. On that particular occasion there weren't any hikers after Waterloo Bay (I did it in reverse to the typical route). Of all spots in the Prom, this is arguably the safest to go solo. You'd certainly find it doable, but it takes a bit of motivation to keep slugging in poor weather between Waterloo and the Lighthouse. You also will probably want to review your gear and abilities beforehand. If things go pearshaped it is purely up to you to get out of the situation :o

In terms of campsites, they are all pretty safe if past experiences are anything to go by. Roaring Meg is a nicer campsite to Halfway Hut, but if alone I'd opt for the latter as it is much quieter in the evenings (probably avoid the hut, there used to be a snake under it). Refuge and Little Waterloo bays are both beautiful, and usually have a few campers there even at this time of year.

There are some nice picture spots between the two, as well as between Refuge and Sealers, and a couple on the NW side of the Lighthouse.

Hope you enjoy the experience and stay safe and warm.

Tim

* Before this descends into a debate about the merits and/or safety of solo hiking, these winds were on one windy night that was considerably rougher than forecast. My trip plans would probably have differed if this was predicted in advance. Nevertheless, I was equipped for the conditions, had appropriate plans for if things went pear shaped and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (which was brought on by the sudden injury, pre-trip, of my planned walking mate). There is a time and place for the practice, but obviously it requires considerations beyond those that group walks typically encompass.
timmy_pete
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trickos » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 7:18 am

No debate here - some of my best and most memorable times hiking have been hiking solo.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:22 am

The Prom is well known as a 'nursery' for bushwalkers just stepping out. I started there, and I still go there. It's a safe place, but the more remote northern sections are best left to groups or people with lots of navigation experience.

The overnight camps are all within an easy walk and there is lots of opportunity to stop and admire, photograph and just take in the changing scenery — and the weather. The classic circuit walk Telegraph Saddle-Lighthouse-Lt. Waterloo Bay-Refuge Cove-Sealers Cove-Tele' Saddle (4 nights) will set you up in terms of experience and diversity of terrain and outlooks, but in winter — umma gumma — that could really test your mettle, but should not put you off if you enjoy it! In February I encountered tiger snakes, marauding birds, nudists (at Sealers Cove), boozing yobs off a boat (Refuge Cove) and even an artist sitting silently in the rainforest with her paints and easle...so you'll come away with a lot of memories, even if they are drenched...

Note that the crossing of Sealers Creek at Sealers Cove needs arbitary research, but at most you'll get wet knees. That's about the only place where some awareness of the local environment is needed. I crossed it in mid-February as the tide was coming in, and it was a bit deeper than 2 days before.

There is a lot to be said for solo walking — it's my preference too, but I also like to join very experienced walkers to incrementally add to my repertoire of different terrestrial walking e.g. alpine, beaches, coastal, inland, easy, medium and hard walks.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby snoop75 » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I'm sure the various tips regarding some of the spots at the prom will be invaluable if / when I eventually get there.

At the moment my itinerary is Telegraph Saddle -> Refuge Cove -> Lt Waterloo Bay -> Telegraph Saddle. Should be relatively comfortable in 3 days / 2 nights. Planning to do a couple of day-hikes at Yarra Valley before then though, to warm up the legs a little. I've done a 5 hour slog in the Prom, in smart casual attire, wearing business shoes and not carrying any water / food supplies before (don't ask), so quietly confident that I'm up to the challenge physically. Main thing is to have enough energy left at the end of each day to appreciate the surroundings and hopefully immerse myself in photography a little.

Once again, thanks. Might post a quick trip report and a few pics in 3-4 weeks.
snoop75
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria