Howitt Spur-Howitt-CCS-Camp Creek-Razor Viking Circuit

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Howitt Spur-Howitt-CCS-Camp Creek-Razor Viking Circuit

Postby ham_cam » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi,

Three of us are planning the following hike in November:

Day 1 (Sat)
Mansfield to Howitt spur carpark by car > Howitt spur > Howitt > CCS > Spec > Camp Creek

Day 2 (Sun)
Camp creek > Razor-viking > Camp creek

Day 3 (Mon)
Camp creek > Spec > CCS > Howitt > Howitt spur > Howitt spur carpark > Drive home to Melbourne

Questions:
1. Is this an unreasonable hike (in terms of distance) - we have hiked in this area before, but are lacking some recent practise. We're three reasonably fit males. Are any of the days massive hikes - we're keen to have a great walk, without overdoing it - but want a challenge at the same time.
2. Is howitt spur accessible via a 2WD or AWD via the circuit track/Bindaree track? how bad are the roads after all this rain?
3. any other advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Hamish
ham_cam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Howitt Spur-Howitt-CCS-Camp Creek-Razor Viking Circuit

Postby gmac » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 8:49 pm

Gidday Hamish
Have done some walking in that area of recent times, hope the following info assists.

If your aim is to get to Camp Creek you might want to look at using Queens Spur then Stanley's Named Spur to access CCS, then across to Spec and Camp Creek. Three of us walked Queens and Stanley's Jan last year and it wasn't too bad. May save a little time as you come out on CCS a little closer to Spec.

Have been thinking of walking to the Razor and Viking again and working on the idea of driving to Camp creek (4wd required) walk to Razor/Viking Saddle camp and return the next day via the same route. That should allow for some time to climb either the Razor or Viking but probably not both. Did walk over Mt Despair back in Nov 2006 (just before the fires) but didn't get to the Razor or The Viking due to lack of water.

Did walk in off track to the Razor last Nov from the Razor Track and then onto Viking Saddle, camped, and then walked back out to the Razor track via the Viking and Barry's Saddle the next day. They were 2 big days of walking with full packs.

Haven't walked the full distance along the CCS so hard to comment on that, except that friends have said that they have had their moments on it, depending on the weather.

Once last thing, I suspect that water should be reasonable to find due to our wet winter. Last Jan we found plenty of water at camp creek and in Nov last year we found water on the Razor right over at the eastern end and also plenty at Viking Saddle.

Regards

gmac
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ham_cam » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks gmac - appreciate your advice.

So I assume razor-Viking from camp creek in a day is out of the question?
ham_cam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gmac » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 9:22 am

My preference would be to do it over 2 days as it is a fair walk in from Camp Creek to Viking Saddle and then to climb up to the top of the Viking.

I did some very rough time calculations based on carrying full packs and come up with about 6 hours one way to get up on the Viking. That would be using the old vehicle track from Camp Creek to Catherine Saddle and then following the AAWT to the Viking and I do remember the walk over Despair being very long.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 7:54 pm

Bindaree Road is 2wd rated, though it can get a bit muddy after a lot of rain, especially if the 4wders have been tearing it up. But I never had any trouble negotiating it at this time of year in my old 2wd Hilux.
From the Upper Howqua Camp to Camp Creek is a fair hike. I've done it via Queens Spur - took from dawn to dusk - but not on your planned route. Howitt Spur is steep and undulating, and so's the Crosscut. A great walk, but it will be a very long day.
Last I heard Cobbler Lake Rd was closed and being reworked due to flood and storm damage. If you decide to go from the Speculation end, check with VicRoads/Parks first that the roads are open. And you'll need a 4WD to get all the way to Camp Creek. And yeah, I wouldn't try to do the Viking/Razor in one day from the carpark. It's further than it looks and not the easiest walking in the area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby ham_cam » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:05 pm

thanks heaps. looks like we'll need to rearrange our plans!
ham_cam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 7:59 pm

I just realised: I don't think you'd be able to get to the Upper Howqua Camp, anyway. Isn't the Stirling Circuit Rd closed until the beginning of December?

You could go in from the Howitt carpark. Day 1 to Camp Creek (with a side trip up Howitt), then into the Viking/Razor. Make it a real circuit by going down to the Wonnongatta Valley and back up the Old Zeka Spur Track. I've been thinking about that for a few years but was put off by the lack of water on the first part of the route. That wouldn't be an issue this year.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Victoria