Wingan inlet to Bemm River walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wingan inlet to Bemm River walk

Postby SteveJ » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 4:32 pm

I am keen to do this walk in the next few months, can any one point me in the direction of some decent track notes? Any one done it? thoughts?

Much appreciated.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Wingan inlet to Bemm River walk

Postby peregrinator » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 11:15 am

"Walking the wilderness coast - Lakes Entrance to Pambula", Peter Cook and Chris Dowd. It's a decade and a half old, but has useful information. For example, they suggest going in the opposite direction to your subject line, due to the prevailing winds.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby SteveJ » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for that I'll get it thhrough the Library :-)

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Out_Walking » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:33 pm

I walked that last year and Peregrinator is spot on with the wind. I had some pretty wintry stuff happening, but luckily the wind was behind me! It would be torture going head on into it as clouds of sand were whirling over my head, but luckily not into my face!

I'm not sure what track notes you would need SteveJ? Are you sticking to the beach? Just make sure the inlets are closed as the Sydenham Inlet wasn't when I went, so I had get a lift on a boat from Bemm River. Wingan Inlet was closed though, but I managed to have that info before I started as the Parks Victoria office at Mallacoota were really helpful. PM me if you need anything specific!
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Out_Walking » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:36 pm

Actually I should read before posting! Ignore the bit about Wingan Inlet as I meant to say the Tamboon Inlet! Wingan Inlet is always open :)
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby SteveJ » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks for that, I had already decided to walk with the wind on this leg (Bemm back east). It looks like there are a few none beach sections/ headlands that need to be crossed? It is not a long walk and I was going to allow some extra time to cruise a bit so I should be fine picking my way along. I always take my packraft and explore/fish the inlets so crossing is never an issue. I have done Merica to Wingan and am just finishing off the last bit of the walk :-)

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria