Craig's Hut, Mt. Stirling Winter hiking advice

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Craig's Hut, Mt. Stirling Winter hiking advice

Postby shauntho » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi all,
I'm planning a hike to Craig's Hut this winter in the hope of getting some great photos of the hut in snow. Does anyone know the best route (by best I mean shortest/easiest) to get there? I know the roads are closed, and the Circuit road route is approx 20km, but is there a shorter/easier route to take? Also, will my waterproof hiking boots with gators be appropriate or do I need to attach specialized snowshoes to my boots? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Shauntho.
shauntho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Craig's Hut, Mt. Stirling Winter hiking advice

Postby Nelse » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 9:44 am

Hey Shauntho

For sure, spent heaps and heaps of time camping there in winter and have skied out to Craig's in Winter too. Foget the Circuit Rd in winter. It's a long trip round which I've never heard of anyone doing in winter and if you did, you'd want to be on skis. Added to that
1. At its elevation a lot of the road passes through mountain ash and in winter all it takes is one big blow and all the timber starts coming down - this won't be cleared to spring so you're likely to have to fight your way through a lot of fallen trees and branches so best forget that way, but if that doesn't convince you ..
2. once you get to the road up to Craig's, it's steep, rocky with lots of culverts and in winter will be a nightmare, also plagued by the likelihood of more fallen trimber blocking what is a much narrower and steeper path in

All this means the only way really to get out there is the way most of us go:

1. From TBJ make your way to Bluff Hut via Bluff Spur
2. Head over the summit and follow the pole line east to where it meets the pole line coming up from GGS Hut.
3. From this pole intersection you continue east along the Clear Hills trail past The Monument and Clear Hills to Craig's Hut.

In winter this track because of its aspect holds snow longer so expect deeper drifts past the culverts and also expect some fallen timber over the trail. Beecause you're taking photos and likely to have a heavy pack, unless you are a very competent skier, you are best doing this on snowshoes with backcountry ski poles (fat baskets) for balance. If you need a guide get in touch, otherwise all the best for your trip and please contact us if you need any more help. Looking fwd to seeing your pics when you get back.
HC SVNT DRACONES
Nelse
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Walking Tours

Postby Bill P » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Shauntho,

Nelse has pretty much summed the route up from Telephone Box Junction. I've had it pretty icy going out there and walking crampons would have been handy. Just a word of warning the hut is not suitable for accommodation: too big, too exposed .
Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earwig » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:06 am

G'day Shauntho. The alternative is to ski or walk along the ring road on the north side of Stirling from TBJ to King Saddle and up to Geelong Grammar Hut from there. Then its the same route as Nelse described across the Clear Hills to Craigs Hut. Snow shoes or skis and if the weather is crap I'd avoid the summit of Stirling as it gets pretty icy and difficult.

Also, Nelse is referring to Bluff Spur Hut on Bluff Spur, not Bluff Hut which is on a different mountain. Good camping around Bluff Spur Hut.

The Stirling Resort trail map should help you work out a route. Follow the 'winter' link on their website.

http://www.mtstirling.com.au/index.asp

I'm hoping to get there myself this winter.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nelse » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:25 am

Earwig is spot on with this as a second option and about avoiding the summit in bad weather. However BS trail is quicker and you can still avoid the summit once you reach Bluff Spur Hut by ducking around the South Summit trail which will bring you out at GGS Hut and still in the snowgums. Personally I prefer BS trail as I find it quicker and less populated by skiers. Of course there are many other alternatives such as taking the Fork Creek trail and then Wombats Ramble passed the Machinery Shed which will bring you out above the Cricket Pitch on the Stirling Trail, still ... have a look at a map and it will all start to make sense.
HC SVNT DRACONES
Nelse
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Walking Tours

Postby shauntho » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 12:42 pm

WOW! I've just learnt the power of Bushwalk Australia Forums! That's great information, thanks heaps for the directions and tips. I knew there had to be a better route! Reckon I'll get myself some snowshoes, crampons, and take the route decribed by Nelse. Thanks again to Nelse, Earwig and Bill P, very impressed with your knowledge! You've helped me tremendously! Hopefully post some nice pics later in the season... Cheers, Shauntho.
shauntho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewbish » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 8:34 pm

I snowshoed from TBJ to Craig's Hut this weekend, going out via Bluff Spur and returning via the Stirling Trail. Roughly 3.5 hours each way. Camped at Craig's Hut. It's a stunning spot with terrific alpine views and I had it to myself.(Though I was told by the ranger that it's wall to wall 4WDs when the roads are open.) Highly recommend the walk.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby marangaroo86 » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:03 pm

Andrew very interested in your trip. :D
Cannot wait to read about your trip on your Blog
marangaroo86
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum