Mt Difficult - Brigg's Bluff overnighter

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Difficult - Brigg's Bluff overnighter

Postby Dane K » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 11:27 am

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around these forums for a while trying to get some inspiration for some overnight hikes with a couple of friends. We've decide we'll have a go at Mt Difficult to Brigg's Bluff at the end of August as it's pretty close to home and a more of a challenge than the Great South West Walk sections.

We'll be taking maps and compasses for navigation if needed, but is the track well marked? I've read mixed reports, some saying it's easy, others saying they got lost, etc.

Also, any idea what sort of weather we should expect? At this stage we're thinking there'll be low cloud and a fair bit of rain, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks in advance.
Dane K
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Difficult - Brigg's Bluff overnighter

Postby byrnesy8 » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 2:54 pm

Dane,

I did the walk last November. The climbing and descending part of the walk is well marked and easy to follow. the section at the top from Mount Difficult to Briggs Bluff varies -some sections are well marked but for reasonable distances you are just walking on the rock and so there is no obvious path. We had to stop a few times to check directions. If you have a compass and map you should be fine. There is an option to do a loop walk on the top.

At the end of August the weather will most likely be cold and windy and you will have a fair chance of getting some rain.

It is a very enjoyable walk
byrnesy8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dane K » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up Byrnesy.
Dane K
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JamesMc » Fri 05 Aug, 2011 6:31 pm

Nice weekend circuit if you return via the eastern part of the range with a short section along the road that goes around Lake Wartook.

The route up the summit of Mt Difficult itself is not very well marked so it can be hard to find in poor visibility. It goes from a sign at the north end of a camp site, and heads south for a bit.

Nice camping at a range of sites around the top of Mud Hut Ck

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al and Bruce Paton » Tue 11 Oct, 2011 11:20 am

A favourite walk, you will love it. Fun and enough of a challenge to feel like you've done a serious walk, but not too difficult.
There are clear views the whole way and it's pretty hard to get lost, in some places you'll have to look for arrows painted on the rock.
You have the option of camping at Lake Wartook but there are a few small sites just below the base of Mt Difficult which allow a quick scramble to the top for brilliant sunset/sunrise views. You'll have to bring all your water and a fuel stove.
Foow our hiking & photography adventures on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wildsight/176627612352438
Al and Bruce Paton
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: wildsight.com.au

Postby Dane K » Thu 03 Nov, 2011 1:30 pm

Got back from this short hike a couple of weeks ago. It was a great walk, beautiful views, the sun was shining, we couldn't have asked for a better day. It was very easily navigated as there were a lot of cairn stones about the place - the painted arrows were few and far between (I may have been too busy taking in the scenery to notice).

We'd planned to camp at Mud Hut Creek but we got there at 3pm so we decided to push on and camped at Troopers Creek instead.

Can't wait to get out there again!
Dane K
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JamesMc » Tue 15 Nov, 2011 5:34 am

Glad you enjoyed if

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides