Coastal Circuit tracks?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Coastal Circuit tracks?

Postby ambergraciana » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 9:18 am

Hi!
I'm looking for a coastal circuit hike for 3 days in September. The prom will be open by then but it will be school holidays and FLOODED with people.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
ambergraciana
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Coastal Circuit tracks?

Postby jcr_au » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 9:25 pm

I guess it depends on where you want to go.

From Nelson to Cape Bridgewater on the Great South West Walk is predominantly Coastal, with just a bit of inland near Mt Richmond.

I realise its not a circuit but the Friends of the GSWW will do a ferry service for a donation, and this should get you well away from the crowds.
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 2:32 pm

How far do you want to travel?
The east coast has some lovely walks and you could base camp at Wingan Inlet (past Cann river) and do a few day trips to wet your appetite.
The Great Ocean Walk has some places where you could do the same and even do a bit of a circuit walk sort of if you want.
The Glenelg Nelson area sounds good too I must get down that way with the canoe.
You may be there walking now as the sun is shining.
Marty
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 3:01 pm

Marty

You'd love the Glenelg River section of the GSWW. I think the bit that has the river & walk side by side is about 80km and there are dedicated camp sites for walkers & canoeists
John R
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby webuniverse » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 9:47 pm

jcr_au wrote:Marty

You'd love the Glenelg River section of the GSWW. I think the bit that has the river & walk side by side is about 80km and there are dedicated camp sites for walkers & canoeists

Hey John ,

Tell me more (sorry for hijak) im looking to do 3 to 4 nights with my son, i guess 10 km a day is ok, and probably be going the way of circuit, leaving melbourne Wednesday morning about 715 am and looking to head back to melbourne the Sunday morning.

Boy loves a fish and i hear the Glenelg has a few fish..

Anyway more ideas would be great, i just down loaded the map , interested in contact details for friends of GSWW for car minding ( i read in another post) for duration of walk.....

Thanks in Advance

Andrew andrew at webuniverse dot com dot au
Webuniverse
'Bigger than you Imagined'
webuniverse
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jcr_au » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 1:15 am

Andrew

If you started at Moleside the next few campsites are all approx 10km apart up to Pattersons. From Pattersons to Simpsons is 17km but if you didn't want to walk that far you can come down North Nelson Rd and probably knock off 5 km and whilst its a gravel road it still generally through nice bush until you reach the tip. BUT the area around Donovans is probably the prettiest, but no OFFICIAL camp at Donovans, there's tables, etc: but not toilets shelter or water.

The distance between camps is listed here http://www.greatsouthwestwalk.com/track/campsites.php

I'm not much of a fisherman but I've seen plenty of fish being pulled out of the Glenelg. Brim I think, but check with someone who knows for sure.

I don't see a reference to the friends doing transport any more. Its 4 years since we used that service and there weren't commercial companies doing it then. Not sure what the sponsored links charge but maybe ring the tourist info centre at Nelson or even the pub there. The walker liason officer at the friends' email is gpage@greatsouthwestwalk.com , worth a try

On the other hand there are intermediate camps like Pritchards, Battersby, etc; that are car accessible. We've also walked where I drop my wife at the start, drive to the end of the days walk & ride a mountain bike back to the start

I think this shot is from near battersby

& this near Pattersons

John R
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 11:51 pm

Hey there I am back from a few days off across the ditch (read detch) visiting the North East island of australia.
I have been in that part of the Glenelg river before but in motor boat and fishing for Bream (sory to correct the spelling).
I had planned a canoe trip a few years back but busted my back so had to cancel, back is better now so will put the trip back on the agenda again one day...... hmmm when?
When I was there there was lots of camping spots for both car people and paddle people (we slept on the boat for a few nights - caught nothing but better than being at work).
no chance of me getting there till next year at this rate though.
Marty.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 8:03 pm

MartyGwynne wrote: ... and fishing for Bream (sory to correct the spelling).

I did say I wasn't much of a fisherman, obviously not much of a speller either :D
John R
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al and Bruce Paton » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:43 am

Circuit walks on the coast are always difficult unless you want to walk all the way round the country!
The northern Prom is less crowded but not sure what's open there at the moment - others may know?
Otherwise would highly recommend the Great Ocean Walk.
Start at the campsite above Johanna Beach and head east to see the best and wildest part of the track.
If you can spare four days walk to Ryan's Den (5 hours) on day 1, then on to Devils Kitchen (5.5 hours) on day 2, then head back over the next two days - and see the coast from another perspective!.
Or you can arrange a pick-up at the top of the stairs above Wreck Beach, an hour or two back from Devils Kitchen.
More pics and track notes here http://wildsight.com.au/main/page_classic_walks_great_ocean_walk1.html
Foow our hiking & photography adventures on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wildsight/176627612352438
Al and Bruce Paton
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: wildsight.com.au

Postby trickos » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 3:43 pm

Start at the campsite above Johanna Beach and head east to see the best and wildest part of the track.
If you can spare four days walk to Ryan's Den (5 hours) on day 1, then on to Devils Kitchen (5.5 hours) on day 2, then head back over the next two days - and see the coast from another perspective!.

West?
Can you legally do that? I thought it was a one way track. East to West.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al and Bruce Paton » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 4:49 pm

Good point, might be worth checking that!
Looks like a car pick-up is the way to go.
ps some quick advice on posting images in posts would be welcome!
Foow our hiking & photography adventures on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wildsight/176627612352438
Al and Bruce Paton
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:47 pm

trickos wrote:

West?
Can you legally do that? I thought it was a one way track. East to West.

I can't see how it would actually be illegal?

In regards to that email address above, I fired off one or two enquiries over 6 months ago and never got a reply. I think the site is a little dated.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Al and Bruce Paton » Thu 13 Oct, 2011 4:27 pm

Think I figured out how to include photos (attachements!).
In short, Great Ocean Walk is spectacular.
Not sure if I'd risk the wrath of the authorities by daring to walk it in the wrong direction, but it's definitely worth trying to arrange a car shuttle.
Devils Kitchen.jpg
Devils Kitchen, Great Ocean Walk
Devils Kitchen.jpg (202.72 KiB) Viewed 8986 times

Milenasia Beach.jpg
Milenasia Beach, Great Ocean Walk
Milenasia Beach.jpg (173.94 KiB) Viewed 8986 times
Al and Bruce Paton
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MartyGwynne » Thu 13 Oct, 2011 4:56 pm

Walking east or west is OK for day walks, but for overnight camping it is the way to walk east to west which is what you pay the fees to do.
This way it keeps the right amount of people in the overnight camps without them being too full.
There are some camps next to the GOW campsites where you could walk the other way and not overload the GOW camp sites.
Other round trip coastal walks are on King Island or Flinders Island. They need food and or water drops but it is a very nice place to do it (or cycle camp them).
Marty.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria