Bindaree Flat - Howitt plains

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bindaree Flat - Howitt plains

Postby houndsman » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 9:42 pm

A question to those more experienced walkers out there.
I saw a number of vehicles parked at the top end of the bindaree flat where the old queens spur track was... it seemed they were walking up to howitt or in that direction.. is there a walking track that goes from there to the summit or does it end before the top??
houndsman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Bindaree Flat - Howitt plains

Postby gmac » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Houndsman

You can follow what remains of the old vehicle track (i think 4-5 river/creek crossings), for approx 4 km to where the Queens Spur track runs off to the left and works its way upwards where it crosses the Stanley Named Spur. At that same point you will find a track that runs off to the right that crosses a creek and starts to climb with the final climb up to the western end of Howitt and then the track to the summit and onwards to McCallister. Just forget the distance from the track junction to the summit but the track was well defined.

I have never walked up that way but I have walked down it twice, the last time in March this year.

Hope that helps out.

gmac
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Bindaree Flat - Howitt plains

Postby north-north-west » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 7:22 pm

You can also keep going and then follow Stanley's Name spur up to the Crosscut or, further on, Queens Spur up to the top of Buggery. The second is effectively off-track, although once you're away from the old logging road there is a faint footpad.
All three climbs are steepish, with Howitt spur in particular getting a bit eroded at the top. But terrific country.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Victoria