Feral pigs in Brisbane Forest Park?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feral pigs in Brisbane Forest Park?

Postby Lazy J » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 11:28 am

I went for a camp near the North Kobble area and on the hike back up I ran into two groups of feral pigs on the Lepidozamia track. I was trekking back at dusk, the first group was only three pigs and I managed to get them on film (about 8 minutes in) but the second group consisted of around six adults and a number of piglets - and they didn't run. We just stared at each other for a while before I chased them away by making loud noises and banging my hiking poles together.

Has anyone else run into feral pigs in D'aguilar? I didn't think they would be up there and they're obviously breeding. Bit of a worry for the rainforest ecology in the area.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/v0eMW_eIrts[/youtube]
Lazy J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Feral pigs in Brisbane Forest Park?

Postby lajs » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 3:40 pm

Nice video Lazy J :-)
If you haven't already, you should report it to QPWS with a link to the video.
lajs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Sun 13 Aug, 2017 7:36 am

Haven't been there recently, but sometimes saw the animals and often saw a pig wallow on Joyners Ridge Road when doing an England Creek circuit.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gbagua » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 10:58 am

Why chase them away?

I'd be really worried about human activity on the environment rather than wild pigs.
gbagua

Postby Lazy J » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 8:08 am

I chased them because there was one track and I didn't fancy walking through a group of feral pigs with piglets in tow, that's when they are most likely to attack you as they think you are after the young ones.

Agreed that human activity around there is damaging. However feral pigs prey on native species and carry disease as well as ripping up vegetation so they are a serious pest. I spoke to the rangers the other week and they've told me that they monitor the pigs and try to reduce the population but it's difficult as the pigs can repopulate from other areas very quickly.
Lazy J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland