Conondale Range Great Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Conondale Range Great Walk

Postby jdman » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 10:07 pm

I was thinking about doing the full circuit for the first time in the next month or so however according to the following NPRSR alert a large part of it is still closed after flooding.

The Conondale Range Great Walk is closed south of Wongai walkers camp.

Sections currently open-:
•Booloumba area 2 to Wongai walkers camp and return.
•Booloumba area 2 to Summer Falls walkers camp and return.

All other sections of the great walk are closed including Tallowwood walkers camp.

Adverse weather conditions have prevented inspection and repairs to be carried out to these areas . These areas will remain closed until further notice

Last updated 10 April 2013
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/11836.html

Has anbody walked the sections that are still open recently? If so what was the general condition of the track?

Yes I understand the need to play it safe but surley the effects of the flooding which I assume was from late Jan early Feb would be fine now.
Even an indication from NPRSR of when the circuit is likely to be opened would be handy.

I would really like to complete this walk in the coming months, however if the risk is great I would not. If it is a case of the alerts just not being updated and a low risk then maybe it can be considered.
Thoughts anybody?
JD
jdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Conondale Range Great Walk

Postby hunsta » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:23 pm

I actually want to walk some of this walk myself soon. I was going to run a beginners overnight hiking group to do the Wongai walker cam and return to the Brooloumba day use area. The biggest obstacle I believe was the three creek crossings, as there was a lot of water through them.
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 5:51 pm

I would not think the parks and wildlife service would of opened that section if it was in such a bad way.

Take some sandals to cross the creek so to keep your shoes/boots dry. Take your time crossing the creeks and be sure of your footing, hiking poles help a lot.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hunsta » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 8:54 am

Phillipsart wrote:I would not think the parks and wildlife service would of opened that section if it was in such a bad way.

Take some sandals to cross the creek so to keep your shoes/boots dry. Take your time crossing the creeks and be sure of your footing, hiking poles help a lot.

To clarify a bit of what I said. Its the creeks you have to drive over to get to the day use area, I was talking about. A lot of water came through there and I have heard that the crossings were a bit cut up. Not actually any of the crossing you have to cross on the track.
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:05 am

hunsta wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:I would not think the parks and wildlife service would of opened that section if it was in such a bad way.

To clarify a bit of what I said. Its the creeks you have to drive over to get to the day use area, I was talking about. A lot of water came through there and I have heard that the crossings were a bit cut up. Not actually any of the crossing you have to cross on the track.

Sorry. Cant help with that.
I know someone that can. Call bell bird creek cafe.
07 54460211

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hunsta » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 5:22 pm

Phillipsart wrote:
hunsta wrote:

Sorry. Cant help with that.
I know someone that can. Call bell bird creek cafe.
07 54460211

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Actually I know Pete from the Bellbird quite well and will probably be riding to have breakfast there on Sunday. Ill go check out the creeks then. If I can get over the creeks on my GS, then by car should be fine.
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mountnman » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 5:35 pm

I've decided that I'm going to head up there for an overnighter soon, but not having being there before I have a few questions:

What are the road conditions to Booloumba Creek day use area like? Can a normal 2WD vehicle access it with no worries?

And also can anybody recommend which way to head for an overnighter? Would it be better to go to Summer Falls walkers camp, and climb the Mt Allen fire tower, or go to Wongai walkers camp and going via the gold mine, and the Falls and breadknife?
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dannnnn » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 7:48 pm

i was up there over easter and for a two night walk. 1st night at wongai, then skip tallowood by walking along a logging road (i think it's funnels hut rd? have a look on the topo map, it is obvious) to where it intersects the great walk trail, and follow it up to summer falls. the track conditions were fine, but the crossing at artist cascades was a little exciting because the creek was full of water from very recent rains. i was planning to have a swim anyway so it didn't matter for me, but it was thigh deep water so could have been annoying if i didn't want to get too wet. the logging road is a bit steep in parts, and there were approximately three million leeches at wongai unfortunately - some of the campsites were better than others, so look around. if it were me i would do wongai and back for a one nighter. but a two nighter would be better. i saw a few people with 2wd vehicles at the bolumba day use area but i think they were being fairly reckless. you can leave your car beside road just before the first creek crossing and walk the 1-2km in to the trail head, which is what i did and is a much better option i think.

it's a great walk - enjoy!! i just hope the weather is kinder to you than it was to me!!
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hunsta » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 7:34 am

Mountnman, could have small group doing an overnighter last weekend in May if your up for it. Will be doing the day use to Wongai walkers camp and back. I've crossed the creeks with my 4x4 a few times. They are tame, but with the amount of rain we did have up here I wouldn't advise it in a 2x4 at present. I didn't get to check them last weekend
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mountnman » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 3:51 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I occasionally work weekends (stupid rotating rosters), so if I have the weekend off I'll be a definite. Should know fairly soon, will keep you up to date.

Just to clarify, thats the 25th-26th May?
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cjkerr » Wed 01 May, 2013 3:40 pm

The Alert for Conondale Range Great Walk has been updated. To "No current Alerts".
cjkerr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cjkerr » Wed 01 May, 2013 3:52 pm

The alert for the Conondale Range Great Walk has been updated.
cjkerr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mountnman » Thu 02 May, 2013 12:36 pm

That's great news!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hunsta » Thu 02 May, 2013 7:19 pm

mountnman wrote:That sounds like a good idea. I occasionally work weekends (stupid rotating rosters), so if I have the weekend off I'll be a definite. Should know fairly soon, will keep you up to date.

Just to clarify, thats the 25th-26th May?

Ive sent you a PM Mountnman
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby camusunary_ben » Sat 25 May, 2013 12:21 pm

I am going to head up this way for a day walk tomorrow I think.
camusunary_ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jdman » Mon 03 Jun, 2013 11:09 pm

camusunary_ben wrote:I am going to head up this way for a day walk tomorrow I think.

How did your walk go? Any info on things to see, track conditions ets would be great to hear.

Thanks
JD
jdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby camusunary_ben » Tue 04 Jun, 2013 1:49 pm

jdman wrote:
camusunary_ben wrote:I am going to head up this way for a day walk tomorrow I think.

How did your walk go? Any info on things to see, track conditions ets would be great to hear.

Thanks
JD

Sorry, I went for an explore around Brisbane Forest Park instead. Chickened out on the early start to get to Conondale.
camusunary_ben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mountnman » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 9:13 am

A few of us did an overnighter up there a couple of weeks ago and had no issues with the track conditions at all. The river crossing at Artists Cascades was apparently a bit higher that usual, but no higher than knee deep.

We walked from the Booloumba Day use area to Wongai walkers camp, camped overnight and then return the next day.

Water tank was 95% full, and we were the only ones camping there, which was surprising considering it was a perfect weekend.

Will definitely do the 4-day version sometime next year I think.
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hunsta » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 7:20 pm

mountnman wrote:A few of us did an overnighter up there a couple of weeks ago and had no issues with the track conditions at all. The river crossing at Artists Cascades was apparently a bit higher that usual, but no higher than knee deep.

We walked from the Booloumba Day use area to Wongai walkers camp, camped overnight and then return the next day.

Water tank was 95% full, and we were the only ones camping there, which was surprising considering it was a perfect weekend.

Will definitely do the 4-day version sometime next year I think.

Hey Andrew. Was a great couple of days. Definitely went along way to sorting out some of my gear. I'll give the four day a go next year if your keen. I reckon I could get my pack down to just over 10kg.
When Mary and I got back to Kenilworth we were having a bite to eat and a mini bus full of kids and a couple of adults pulled up and they were on there way to do the 4 days. As they knew some of the track was closed they were going to traverse the road sections to bypass the closed sections. I asked how much the kids(all about 14yo) were carrying, one said around the 25kg mark. :shock: All I could think of was that section after the cascades. Hope they didnt suffer too much. :lol:
BTW mate, feel free to put some pics up on the FB site.
Attachments
Cascades lunch.JPG
Cascades lunch.JPG (518.65 KiB) Viewed 34558 times
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mountnman » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 7:34 pm

Put me down as definite for 4 days next year. If I know well in advance I can request some days off work.

I couldn't imagine having a 25kg pack as a 14yo. Mine was 19kg with 5.5L of water and all my gadgets and that was heavy enough!
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby metastable » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi all,

Since I used this site for research on the Conondale Great walk, I thought I should post a bit of a track notes for how it went, in case others find it useful. Also, people walking with kids might find some interest in it.

This was to be my son's first overnight walk (he's 6). We planned to do the walk from Booloumba Creek camping area 1 to Wongai, camp then return the next day. I assume some people will be saying "6 is a bit young, he'll never make it", but he's a bit of a pocket rocket. We previously did Daves Creek Circuit at Binna Burra which he walked all but one km, (so about 10 km) when he was 5. We've also done a 8hr Rogaine which he has walked (this year)

I haven't been overnight walking for about 8 years, the last major hike was the Overland Track.

We drove our Forester through the first 2 creek crossings to Booloumba 1 and camped the first night. They did seem deeper than I last remember, about 6 years ago, as I got through with a Lancer that time, but it was fine.

Got up the next day and then started to pack my bag. I have an old Aiking travel/backpacking hybrid top loader (maybe an old Elvis version? Not sure. They don't make this version anymore). I was intending on carrying pretty much everything, and he would carry an Osprey Jet, with some of the day food, his rain jacket and jumper, and his own water. As per being a newbie again and despite all my best intentions, I ended up with a massive pack. I don't know the weight, but I would have guessed at least in the order of 25kg or more. Ouch.

Because of my dithering regards packing, we didn't head off till round 10am. This in retrospect was way too late. We always walk with him in front, to keep to his pace and having the short legs of a 6yr, this is about 2.5km an hour. We ended up getting in before dark, but it was only through very few stops.

I should have looked at the profile more thoroughly before we started, to realise that we would be climbing the whole day. He had a bit of a whinge at one point, but we put some blister guards on a (somewhat dubious) injury and he was fine after that.

The incline was the first "gotcha" of the walk, the second was the crossing at Artists Cascades. I didn't expect it to be so wide/large. When we got there, I was starting to worry how we were to get across. Fortunately at the time, a lone hiker who had passed us as was pausing on the opposite bank, offer to help him rock hop. This ended up with us going downstream a fair way, where there was a better crossing, but it was still dicey stuff. We made it across, said our thanks, and he headed off. It was at this point I thought maybe it would be better to bail. I would have to get back across this creek with my son by myself, and I was just feeling a bit stunned by how hard it had all gotten. So I asked him if he wanted to go back, knowing how hard it had been, and knowing it would climb straight out of the Cascades. His response "Nope, let's keep going". I asked again, just to be sure. "Nope I know it's been tough, but let's keep going". What a little champ.

With the renewed confidence of being bouyed by the enthusiasm of a 6yr old, we headed off. The climb out of the Cascades was straight up, tough, but he didn't complain and we soldiered on.

I'd forgotten to turn my phone off and at a random high point on the way to Booloumba Falls, it pinged with new messages. So we had a call home, but noone answered, so we left a message saying it was tough, and we might only make it on dark, but we're doing ok.

We skipped the look at Booloumba Falls for the next day, and headed on towards Wongai. I think we got there about 16:30, and my back was sure glad to be rid of the pack. He was also glad to sit down.

Wongai, has decent camp sites, a proper drop toilet, and the tank was full, so water wasn't a problem (I used a recently purchased Steripen, which seemed to work fine).

I found a large lump on my shoulder on bedtime which I got him to look at, and he got a chance at extracting his first tick, as I couldn't reach it.

We made camp, cooked some tea and had a good sleep. I apologised to him, saying I didn't realise it was going to be so hard, and he said, "That's ok, we're having fun"

When we woke up in the morning, his ear was covered in blood. After the initial shock wore off, it was clear that it was probably a leech. I cleaned his ear but could not find the leech, which made me worry it was something else.

On packing the tent before leaving camp, a massively gorged leech was found hiding under my air mattress, which he wanted to nurture, so we put safely under a leaf....

We headed off the next day, with the knowledge that it was all downhill. We stopped for a while at the Falls, and generally had a far more leisurely walk on the way back.

We made really good time to the Cascades and this time I did the smart thing of take my shoes off and support him that way as he rock hopped. If I was to do it again, I would bring sandals and we could both just walk in the creek instead of all the mucking around trying to rockhop. Much safer in my opinion.

He's getting really good at map reading, (he carries it in a map case when we walk) so we kept track of the creek crossings and track direction to see where we were up to.

We made it back to B Creek 1 at mid afternoon. Happy to have finished.

Things I learned on this reboot to my walking:

1. Plan what you're going to put in your pack more thoroughly. I think I had doubles of just about everything and it showed in the weight of the pack. I think I could easily take a few kg off it, just with some smart organisation, let alone trying to go ultralight.
2. Take more notice of the walk profile
3. Bring sandals for anything that has a creek crossing. I guess I was more used to Lamington track type crossing, which in my experience have been easy to rock hop.
4. I still love Garmont shoes (I bought a new pair for the walk and they're just great)

About a week later, we were talking about the walk and he said, "Dad, that walk was tough, but next time, let's go on something harder".....
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:03 am

Great report metastable,
I walk with my son and he is 7 and has a similar outlook to difficulty, loves the challenge and always wants "harder" next time.

We have not done this walk but have it down as one to do in the future, so thanks for the little person perspective.

G_U

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards"
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hunsta » Fri 16 Aug, 2013 8:35 pm

Yes In May we also found the Cascades crossing a little wider than we thought it would be. We just offed boots and waded across. A set of crocs wouldnt have gone astray.
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ossie » Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:42 pm

Heading up to Conondale National Park on Saturday, start the Great Walk on Sunday. Doing the 4 day walk with a mate. Looking forward to it! Weather forecast not too bad either.
ossie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Giddy_up » Fri 18 Oct, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi ossie,

There are a few intense storms up this way at the moment, keep checking the weather reports and plan for an afternoon downpour. Creeks should be fine as its been so dry of late and enjoy the walk. Look forward to the trip report and pics.
Cheers
G_u
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ossie » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 7:50 pm

Just got back today from this Great Walk. Had a ball. No rain, it is very dry. Will attempt to post a trip report and some photos in the near future. Thoroughly recommend it. Outstanding forest diversity, best Bunya pines and largest number of red cedars I have ever seen. Also had a great number of good sightings of Wompoo Pigeon and other birds.

Ossie
ossie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 8:20 pm

Good stuff ossie, sounds like you had a good time. Were any of the falls running or had they stopped completely.
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ossie » Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:35 am

Artists Cascades, Booloumba, Peters and Summer Falls were all running well. Very few of the many little creeks were running at all. Very dry. Will go and do it again one day when it is wet again, enjoy the wetter environment and many leeches it brings.

Evidence of feral pigs and a cow in places.
ossie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 24 Oct, 2013 2:05 pm

ossie wrote:Artists Cascades, Booloumba, Peters and Summer Falls were all running well. Very few of the many little creeks were running at all. Very dry. Will go and do it again one day when it is wet again, enjoy the wetter environment and many leeches it brings.

Evidence of feral pigs and a cow in places.

Great to hear that those falls are still running :D , not so great about the ferals :evil:
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fitdingo » Sat 03 May, 2014 1:08 pm

G'day all,
anybody want to do the 4 day circuit at the start of the June School Holidays? Starting Saturday 28th. Show those leaches who's boss.

Chris K
fitdingo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Queensland