Seeking recommendations for North Queensland hike

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Seeking recommendations for North Queensland hike

Postby Skid » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi all,
Just putting it out there to the brains trust and experience of the forum members…
I’m looking for recommendations for a week long hike in Queensland (preferably North Queensland). Here is the context; for a few years now, a friend and I plan a week each year to go hiking in the dry season (typically September/October). Most of these trips have been to Hinchinbrook Island and we have ‘done’ the island a number of ways, including a couple of trips up Mount Bowen (different routes), Pineapple Peak, Mount Straloch etc.
Whilst the island is a great place with some world class hiking, we would like to explore other places. So, we are looking for a suitable hike with the following ‘wish list’…
• Approx 1 week (Work Friday > 9 days off > work Mon. Travelling from Townsville & Atherton)
• Preferably in North Queensland
• Reasonably challenging (We are hikers, not climbers. But we are up for a challenge and the occasional rope haul)
• A wilderness area, ie the chance to get away from it all
Anyone care to share their thoughts on what might fit the bill…
Thanks in advance.
David
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Seeking recommendations for North Queensland hike

Postby nq111 » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 7:38 pm

Hmmm - I know the context - sounds like me :)

North Queensland is a bit woeful for good longer walks. One problem is the difficulty maintaining trails with tropical rainforest growth rates and cyclones. Other is simply there has not been great effort into serious walks development.

Have you considered Thorntons Peak in the Daintree? Only 3 days offically http://www.wild.com.au/uploads/wild/general/Daintree_NP.pdf? If you were really adventurous you may try to pick your way further to the CREB track and hitch back? But would plan for having to turn back at any point due to thick scrub.

I don't know what the current status of the 'great walk' is from Wallaman Falls to Ravenshoe. It doesn't look that interesting a walk, just linked up forestry roads in flattish high country to be able to tick the box for North QLDs 'great walk'.

Mt Bartle Frere is great but only an overnighter.

For drier country the gorges of White Mountains Nat park are incredible, all-off track and remote (you want to be at the North West part of the system, not near the highway).

Otherwise do you best to map our a route off-track on google earth, download to GPS, and hope it is walkable on the day? That is what i do :)
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nq111 » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 6:24 pm

So Skid, what are you thinking is the plan at this stage?
nq111

Postby Skid » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:48 pm

nq111,

First up, thanks so much for your reply, it is much appreciated!

I haven’t caught up with my partner in crime, so we haven’t decided on a cunning plan yet. I’ll check out your lead for Thorntons Peak though.
The ‘great walk’ you mentioned will be off the list (for this year at least), the road from Cardwell (Kennedy?) is closed, so the car shuffle becomes a pain. We did consider doing this walk and chartering a chopper for the shuffle, but the logistics of getting another couple of hikers to share the cost put this option on hold. Then I had some feedback that at least some sections of the walk were not that interesting, so it’s on the ‘maybe one day’ list.

A friend has given me some track notes for a walk from Paluma to Rollingstone, this looks like a sufficiently challenging walk with some crazy steep sections. It certainly looks worth a closer look. I can’t work out how to add attachments to forum posts, I’ll send you a PM with my email address and I can email you a copy if you want.

You are right about Bartle Frere, we have climbed it a few times in the past and will probably do it again before October as a ‘training’ hike.

Thanks again for your reply, any further ideas are always welcome.
I’ll let you know once a cunning plan is carved in stone.

Cheers

David
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nq111 » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 6:57 pm

Skid wrote:nq111,
A friend has given me some track notes for a walk from Paluma to Rollingstone, this looks like a sufficiently challenging walk with some crazy steep sections. It certainly looks worth a closer look. I can’t work out how to add attachments to forum posts, I’ll send you a PM with my email address and I can email you a copy if you want.

Bullocky Toms? If so not a full week (though would be interested to see the track notes / actual route). Also the cyclone damage in that part of the world is pretty extreme so plan accordingly (lots of lawyer vine). You can also apparently pick along from Bluewater to Paluma (old logging tracks mostly and some thick scrub).

For some Townsville area ideas try this: http://www.drytropics.org.au/trails_gw_route.htm

If you are adventurous enough I can conceive a 5 dayish circuit walk around the 'horseshoe' of the Mt Elliot system. I have climbed the main peak but not sure if this route is all doable. Would be a stunner I reckon. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM my thoughts on a route.
nq111

Postby bauplenut » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:09 pm

In Townsville region. Mt Spec area, most of the tracks are clear. Bullocky Toms Track is open and good, used it last month. Day walk from big Crystal Creek to Gold Falls return, or go to Mt Spec area for 2 dayer.. A few years ago we did a 2 dayer from Paradise Waterhole up Bullocky Toms track to Mt Spec, next day from Mt Spec down Bambaroo track to the highway north of Frosty Mango.

I am unaware if the old track from Paluma to Rollingstoe is clear or viable. I understand effort to re-open was proposed, but unaware and doubt action yet.

Bambaroo track is still a mess from Yasi (was on it Thursday) and not open - be another couple of months before it is cleared. Lot of wait-a-while and vines, fallen trees to clear. Fair bit stinging tree too, one got me on the knee !

All the tracks around Mt Spec are open. The track from Paluma to Crystal Falls Creek is good. In fact, a run- a-thon is using tracks from Paluma to Mt Spec on 25th August. But, the tracks are not published by QPWS, nor maintained by them - privately maintained. Most are well marked though, and junctions have direction markers.

Off track you can walk from Big Crystal Creek up Cloudy Creek to Paluma. Or Ethel Creek too.

October last year we walked from Paluma to Mt Spec day one (rainforest foot track), day two down Waterfall Creek to Bambaroo on the highway.

Track from Rollingstone to Mt Halifax is open, we used it last month. Long day walk (return), about 1,000 metre altitude climb then descent.

Foxlees track unsure if cleared all the way.

Jacobsens track from Hidden Valley to near Jourama falls, was used by friends last year, was not real clear though.

Mt Eliot, did a 2 dayer up there this time last year. No track, all bush bashing, went up ridge western side North (Sandy) Creek, camped in saddle below summit. Next day came down Aliigator Creek. Alternate route is Palm Creek.

White Mtns is very good (Flinders River side) but might be very dry a present, water might be an issue.

There is excellent bushwalking in Running River region, but all on private property and off-track. Good river and creek scenes, gorges, waterfalls etc. Access is problematic.

Basalt Wall is good too - but the best parts are on private property. So need a friendly station owner to allow access.

Anyway, not much help for a week long hike for you. But you coud make a nice 3-4 day track hike in rainforest area around Paluma-Mt Spec area. Includes two good waterfalls, some creeks etc.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bauplenut » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:12 pm

and, if you use the topo map for Bullocky Toms Track, the map is wrong.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 16 Aug, 2013 8:14 pm

Skid wrote:Hi all,
Just putting it out there to the brains trust and experience of the forum members…
I’m looking for recommendations for a week long hike in Queensland (preferably North Queensland). Here is the context; for a few years now, a friend and I plan a week each year to go hiking in the dry season (typically September/October). Most of these trips have been to Hinchinbrook Island and we have ‘done’ the island a number of ways, including a couple of trips up Mount Bowen (different routes), Pineapple Peak, Mount Straloch etc.
Whilst the island is a great place with some world class hiking, we would like to explore other places. So, we are looking for a suitable hike with the following ‘wish list’…
• Approx 1 week (Work Friday > 9 days off > work Mon. Travelling from Townsville & Atherton)
• Preferably in North Queensland
• Reasonably challenging (We are hikers, not climbers. But we are up for a challenge and the occasional rope haul)
• A wilderness area, ie the chance to get away from it all
Anyone care to share their thoughts on what might fit the bill…
Thanks in advance.
David

Hi David
NQ111 has good advice. I was going to suggest Thornton Peak as well, or Mt Pieter Botte.
Beyond them and the others mentioned that you've done it really becomes a game of 'creative bushwalking'. Don't rely on established trails and don't expect to walk off track easily in rainforest (sounds like you know this).
You can use the established trails but for the ones I've looked at (Misty Mountains, Herbert Gorge Great Walk) here's been little or no track maintenance since Yasi.
You can still use Misty Mountain trails or others as a guide if you don't mind pushing through some regrowth areas. I even did the Tchupalla Falls walk from Henrietta Ck to Crawfords Lookout a couple of years ago (machete recommended).
But if you're up for a challenge try off-track dryland walking (already mentioned by nq111) or for rainforest areas look at rock-hop/swim/raft/bushbash trips using creeks and rivers as your conduit into uncharted territory.
I don't mention this glibly, it can be dangerous and potentially fatal (personal experience) but following streams and rivers is your best for going off-track in The Wet Tropics.
You can PM me for a couple of routes I know of or I'm in Townsville too and happy to pore over a map.
good luck
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Myyybizzz » Wed 11 Sep, 2013 2:59 pm

Myyybizzz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Happy Pirate » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 7:03 pm

Myyybizzz wrote:TAKE A LOOK AT THIS :

http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au

The BCT always looks awesome but my understanding is that it is completely unmaintained, uses public roads and walking trails and is more tokenistic than a genuine trail like the Appalachian National Trail in the USA.
I'd love to hear from folk who've walked it.
Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sandym » Fri 18 Oct, 2013 7:06 pm

What about the Wet Tropics walk from Blencoe Falls down the river? I haven't done it, and truthfully, the reports I have heard from Cairns folk were not all that positive (no trail, major bushwacking) but it sounds as if you might like that type of thing.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby Happy Pirate » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:01 pm

sandym wrote:What about the Wet Tropics walk from Blencoe Falls down the river? I haven't done it, and truthfully, the reports I have heard from Cairns folk were not all that positive (no trail, major bushwacking) but it sounds as if you might like that type of thing.

I did the tail end of this recently - just from carpark to river crossing really.
The crossing is really wide and you either have deep, still water (crocs) or you have to contend with deepish, busy water around the rapids (and still maybe crocs in big seasons). While I chose the better part of valour, I saw no track on the far side of the Herbert Riv but lots of nasty weeds. Off-track walking through weedy ex-clearings can be much worse than O/T in native scrub - dense nasty colonising weeds and this looked horrid.
So expect a hard slog on the last leg at least.
Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sandym » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 7:27 pm

Good to know, thanks Steve.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby Scinap » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 10:48 am

I have done the walk from Blencoe falls down to the Yamanie gate pickup section, last year. It's a great walk, particularly if you enjoy fishing and don't mind bush bashing, but I would be hesitant to recommend it to two who have not done it before. The major obstacle is the river crossings. If you don't know the best places to cross you may end up picking some of the harder ones. However, this time of year the water should be at it's lowest.

We do it in four days, and this ends up involving approximately six hours a day hiking. It really is a challenging walk, despite the limited altitude changes. There is a lot of rock hopping and bush bashing involved. The approach to Blencoe is a long one. It's probably going to take you 7 hours from Townsville as you have to go through Ravensho and Mt Garnet. Another option I know some guys take is to hire a helicopter to drop them right in the gorge. This cuts out the two or three hour descent too, which might not be to your liking. The views from the top are pretty spectacular.

Regarding the pick up. There is a 4wd track that takes you about 400m up to the river where you will find a ford. It continues about 5km up on the western side of the Herbert until a place known as Orange Tree. The track has been cleared about 3 months ago and should be in great condition. The end of this trail is probably the preferred place to be picked up, although there is nothing stopping you walking along the 4wd track (it's not the prettiest walking) or continuing to bash your way up the river (although in my experience this section is quite difficult to navigate).

I am very happy to give you more info if you are interested.

I should add that a PLB or sat phone should be considered necessary. There is no easy escape, if something goes wrong and you can't call a chopper, you are going to have to walk out some pretty demanding terrain.
Scinap
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Happy Pirate » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 10:15 pm

Scinap wrote:I have done the walk from Blencoe falls down to the Yamanie gate pickup section, last year. It's a great walk, particularly if you enjoy fishing and don't mind bush bashing, but I would be hesitant to recommend it to two who have not done it before. The major obstacle is the river crossings. If you don't know the best places to cross you may end up picking some of the harder ones. However, this time of year the water should be at it's lowest.

We do it in four days, and this ends up involving approximately six hours a day hiking. It really is a challenging walk, despite the limited altitude changes. There is a lot of rock hopping and bush bashing involved. The approach to Blencoe is a long one. It's probably going to take you 7 hours from Townsville as you have to go through Ravensho and Mt Garnet. Another option I know some guys take is to hire a helicopter to drop them right in the gorge. This cuts out the two or three hour descent too, which might not be to your liking. The views from the top are pretty spectacular.

Regarding the pick up. There is a 4wd track that takes you about 400m up to the river where you will find a ford. It continues about 5km up on the western side of the Herbert until a place known as Orange Tree. The track has been cleared about 3 months ago and should be in great condition. The end of this trail is probably the preferred place to be picked up, although there is nothing stopping you walking along the 4wd track (it's not the prettiest walking) or continuing to bash your way up the river (although in my experience this section is quite difficult to navigate).

I am very happy to give you more info if you are interested.

I should add that a PLB or sat phone should be considered necessary. There is no easy escape, if something goes wrong and you can't call a chopper, you are going to have to walk out some pretty demanding terrain.

Hi Scinap
Is there a defined track on the south side of the Herbert?
It looked pretty overgrown when I went there but I didn't cross the river.
Steve
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 2:39 pm

Posts relating to the e-book promotion have been removed.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Jimmyfish » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Guys,
Im new the forum,
Great info,
Could some one pleas PM me the info for the walk from Paluma to Rollingstone?
Thanks in advance,
cheers
Jimmyfish
Jimmyfish
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland