Multiday Daintree/Cape Tribulation hikes

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Multiday Daintree/Cape Tribulation hikes

Postby andrew7 » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Is anyone aware of any good multiday hikes in the Daintree/Cape Tribulation area (or failing that, other rainforests)? My partner and I were planning on going for a multiday hike during early September and the rainforests in Northern Queensland look spectacular.

I've seen references to hiking from Bloomfield to Cape Tribulation but can't find any more details.

Thanks,

Andrew
andrew7
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Multiday Daintree/Cape Tribulation hikes

Postby Skid » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey Andrew,
Check out the reply to my post here... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14160
If you are prepared to go a bit further south, check out Hinchinbrook Island. There are also a few overnight walks amongst the 'Misty Mountains' trails.
Hope this helps :-)
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 16 Aug, 2013 9:34 pm

andrew7 wrote:Hi everyone,

Is anyone aware of any good multiday hikes in the Daintree/Cape Tribulation area (or failing that, other rainforests)? My partner and I were planning on going for a multiday hike during early September and the rainforests in Northern Queensland look spectacular.

I've seen references to hiking from Bloomfield to Cape Tribulation but can't find any more details.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew
FNQ is not great for established trails, particularly multi-day. Hinchinbrook is one of the best walks in Aus, even after being 'Yasi-ed'.
Bloomfield to Cape Trib?
Was this a reference that pre-dated the road (that used to be a trail before it was bulldozed through?

You can do an over-nighter into Ceder Bay north of Bloomfield, It's a day's walk each way and worth a couple of days stay.
There are a series of hiking-trail books by an old friend called Tropical Tracks (Footloose Press) that list all the prescribed trails in the region. I don't think they've been updated post-yasi.
The Misty Mountain Trails can be a bit neglected and I certainly haven't done them all but if you start and end on the Atherton Tablelands (rather than attempting Atherton - Tully Gorge) you should be OK.
There are the "Great Walks" but don't expect the same sort of trail marking and ease of access as in Southern Aus. You need to be pretty self-reliant and aware of the specific challenges.
If you're not familiar with the region and it's challenges I would recommend the Thorsborne Trail on Hinchinbrook or the Mt. Bartle Freer walk as the only 2 regularly maintained overnight walks.
Hinchinbrook is awesome and you're unlikely to find better so start with this unless you have good reason not to.

cheers
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 7:52 pm

MODERATOR EDIT - E-book promotion post by other member, quote of e-book promotion post and subsequent reply has been removed.

BTW.....there are no better walks than Hinchinbrook
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Skid » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:49 pm

MODERATOR EDIT - Quote of e-book promotion post removed.

Better than Hinchinbrook? Really? I'm thinking that you are not doing Hinchinbrook right!
Last time I was there (two x week long trips last month) the ferry cost was reasonable in my humble opinion. There are two operators at the north end. For those who consider a $50 fare too much for a drop off, well, there is nothing stopping you arranging your own boat. There is a flip side to the effort/cost to get to the island, you can be fairly sure you won't have to share the area with four wheels drives, dogs, generators etc..

If you are the author of the book you mention, please just declare that (and be proud), it is more ethical than pimping and I would be far more likely to buy it.

Cheers
Skid
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damodamod » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 3:28 pm

Hinchinbrook is nice, but you have to weigh it up; along the Thorsborne track you have to share with lots of other walkers, stay at sites flogged by the crowds and have transport costs which you don't have at other places. There are numerous other areas in NQ that don't have these problems. Finding the track info for the better tracks is the hard part though.
damodamod
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland