Access to Running Creek Falls

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access to Running Creek Falls

Postby Nungulba » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 6:06 pm

Having visited Running Creek Falls back in the late seventies, I was thinking about a 'deja vu' trip next year (for my 70th birthday!)
While visiting some friends on Tamborine Mountain last year, I talked them into an overnight 'reccy' (staying at the salubrious Rimfall Cottage). However, despite our best efforts we got lost about 1 km past the last gate on the Drynan property. Most guidebooks (Rankin, Buchanan, & the older BBW Walker's Guide) mention a track contouring around the foothills on the southern side of Running Creek. We never did find that track!!

Has anyone been up to the falls this year? If so, any useful information would be appreciated.

Ta.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Access to Running Creek Falls

Postby tomh » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 3:52 pm

Have not been that way for some time but have recently been told that the trail no longer exists once you cross the creek on to the northern (rainforest) bank. This section from the crossing to the England Creek junction was vague anyway, but as this route parallels and is not far from the stretcher track it must have suffered the same type of damage but unlike the stretcher track will not see restoration by QPWS workers. The Drynans could possibly provide more information.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tas-man » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 3:32 am

Nungulba wrote:<Snip> Has anyone been up to the falls this year? If so, any useful information would be appreciated.

Ta.

There's some discussion and photos on access to Running Creek Falls in this older thread if you have not seen it. Some old and new photos as well to whet your appetite! - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4785
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nungulba » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks Tas-Man,

Yes, Running Creek is a bit remote from the decadence & debauchery(?) of Binna Burra or O'Reilly's so I guess it is unrealistic to expect QPWS (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) to start laying down fully-sealed tracks for wheel-chair access to the Falls!

Also, my informants tell me that the bull paddocks are a bit soggy - what we need are a few years of semi-drought conditions, and maybe a suspension bridge over that major creek crossing. But I may not last that long!!!

Oh well, back to the drawing boards. I might just stay at home and watch highlights of past triumphs or something?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Access to Running Creek Falls (Update)

Postby Nungulba » Fri 15 Aug, 2014 9:20 pm

If there is anyone out there considering a long daywalk, I can recommend Running Creek Falls. Myself and three friends attempted this walk in early July. We nearly reached the falls, but time beat us!

A few observations:

1) Start early (no later than 7 am) - this may involve spending a night or two at one of the Drynan's cottages (check 'Rimfall' on the Internet)

2) Carry small water bottle (at most) as the creek is pristine upstream from the big crossing, and carrying vast amounts of drinking water is unnecessary.

3) 'Finger-food' is adequate for this trip (we carried fruit bars, cheese & snack biscuits)

4) Check weather forecast - if rain is expected I recommend re-scheduling as crossing the creek could be difficult, also boggy approaches (paddocks) become very tiring.

5) Which leads to the suggestion that you do this walk June-August in an El Nino year (which is what we did) It's worth ringing the Drynans to check the exact conditions underfoot before setting out.

6) The actual route is approximately that of the track marked on the Lamington 1:25000 series map. Follow the cattle tracks through paddocks above the Drynan's residence. After about 90 mins of flat walking watch for a four-wheel drive track on the RHS going steeply uphill, then flattening out after steep descent on the other side. Eventually you reach the start of a scrubby section where the track meanders a bit and even disappears at regular intervals. Someone has 'flagged' this section with multicoloured tapes (chiefly pink - but also green and yellow). It's recommended that you take it easy through here as repeatedly doubling back to find the track is both frustrating and tiring (also time-consuming).
After approx 45mins - 1 hour of this stuff the big creek crossing is reached. Taking a 'pocket' towel and removing boots before crossing is probably the best idea, as alternatives generally involve much time-wasting!
The rain-forest proper begins on the northern bank of the creek. Once more pink tapes are on hand to aid route-finding. It's not that there isn't a track, it's just that years of undergrowth and cyclone windfalls have obliterated some parts of it. The next 90 mins + involves a long uphill contour until the track flattens out.
From here it is approx. one hour to the falls. Unfortunately, after having done all the hard work we had to pull out due to lack of time!!!

So, it was third time UN-lucky. Oh well, there's always next year, if El Nino is available.

Summing Up: It's a *&%$#! long way so START EARLY! Check conditions beforehand as things could get very ugly if the water level is up.

Final verdict: A beautiful part of Lamington which few walkers ever see.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland