Mount Barney hike - late August 2013/early September

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Barney hike - late August 2013/early September

Postby aaron10001 » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi
A few of us are intending to ascend Mt Barney either on 31/7 or 7/9. With the weather heating up an early start around 5 or 6 at the very latest would be ideal. We have experience on some of the other mountains in the area (Maroon, Greville, Edwards) and were wondering whether anyone out there is going to be heading up there around that time. We've been told that its preferrable to go with someone that has some prior experience on the mountain. Peasants Ridge sounds like the way to go. We have some of the track notes from some of the guide books.

So if anyone reading this is willing for us to tag along, then please respond to this thread. Thanks
aaron10001
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mount Barney hike - late August 2013/early September

Postby findbuddha » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 10:46 pm

Peasant's ridge is fairly straightforward. The only navigational 'difficulty' is between the saddle (Rum Jungle) and the east peak, where there is no clear track. It's easy to go too far to the right on the way back from the summit and end up in the top of the gorge.

Other than that make sure you've all got plenty of water (3-4L each) and a first aid kit. Enjoy! :)
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pteropus » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 10:45 am

If you have climbed Maroon, then Peasant's ridge will be pretty similar. Check out the Mt Barney routes thread for other info. And as findbuddha mentioned, take plenty of water. There is an ephemeral creek in the Rum Jungle Saddle, but if it hasn't rained recently it may not flow, and in my opinion the water quality is likely dubious from all the rubbish I have seen around the camp area...
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby gbagua » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 2:26 pm

How many of you are heading to Barney? This Sunday I will be hiking with a small group of roughly 8 people via North Ridge. Peasant's Ridge is a bore fest. :D
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gbagua » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 2:29 pm

Pteropus wrote:There is an ephemeral creek in the Rum Jungle Saddle, but if it hasn't rained recently it may not flow, and in my opinion the water quality is likely dubious from all the rubbish I have seen around the camp area...

I drank water from there about 2 weeks ago and it was delicious. Plenty of it, just go past the camp site and you won't turn into a zombie. :lol:
gbagua

Postby Pteropus » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 2:38 pm

gbagua wrote:
Pteropus wrote:There is an ephemeral creek in the Rum Jungle Saddle, but if it hasn't rained recently it may not flow, and in my opinion the water quality is likely dubious from all the rubbish I have seen around the camp area...

I drank water from there about 2 weeks ago and it was delicious. Plenty of it, just go past the camp site and you won't turn into a zombie. :lol:

Always collect water from as far up the stream as possible I reckon. When I was there late last year the creek was dry and there was used toilet paper strewn about the creek bed near the old hut site...
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 3:28 pm

I'll be heading that way the week before you will be there. Going with a mate that knows the place like the back of his hands.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 8:32 pm

gbagua wrote:How many of you are heading to Barney? This Sunday I will be hiking with a small group of roughly 8 people via North Ridge. Peasant's Ridge is a bore fest. :D

I definitely wouldn't call it a bore fest. It is a good way for someone to introduce themselves to the mountain. It is still plenty challenging enough and there are great views from the various lookouts as you go up the ridge.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby Art » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:51 am

findbuddha wrote:Peasant's ridge is fairly straightforward. The only navigational 'difficulty' is between the saddle (Rum Jungle) and the east peak, where there is no clear track. It's easy to go too far to the right on the way back from the summit and end up in the top of the gorge.

Other than that make sure you've all got plenty of water (3-4L each) and a first aid kit. Enjoy! :)

^^^^^ Pretty much this ^^^^^

On the way from East Peak back to Rum Jungle, if in doubt, use the left (South) most track.
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 8:27 am

Unfortunately around Rum jungle and old hut site, it is a bit sad to see so much toilet paper. I think they should limit school groups. They only allow small groups of private walkers,but school groups have up to 20 or so people up there. We were up there once with all these school girls and they were going to the toilet on the track and just near Eden creek, toilet paper and everything else exposed, no toilet etiquette whatsoever!! we were appalled that the leaders/teachers did nothing about this. These were teenagers and should have known much better. If they are allowing so many to use this, then they should put in a toilet to stop this from happening and stuffing up the water table. We need water up there to be clean. All I can say is there are some pretty disgusting and ignorant people around the place and as Mt Barney is so popular now, they should do something about it.
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tomh » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:13 pm

It was three years ago - October 2010 - when I posted the following:
'...Egan creek is a good and relatively easy descent from Rum Jungle as long as hold your breath and be careful where you step for the first 20m as it appears to also have a role as the Rum Jungle toilet (as your water bottle empties you also realise Egan drains into Cronan Creek and then into the Logan River). After that 20m there are some small waterfalls to bypass but generally enjoyable walking. There may be no huts up there now but considering the numbers camping (incl school groups) there is a good case for a composting toilet.'
Agree with you R-J 1 and I would be surprised if QPWS are not aware of the situation. As for the reason why there has been no action only they could answer.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Art » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 3:28 pm

Ranger-Jules 1 wrote:Unfortunately around Rum jungle and old hut site, it is a bit sad to see so much toilet paper. I think they should limit school groups. They only allow small groups of private walkers,but school groups have up to 20 or so people up there. We were up there once with all these school girls and they were going to the toilet on the track and just near Eden creek, toilet paper and everything else exposed, no toilet etiquette whatsoever!! we were appalled that the leaders/teachers did nothing about this. These were teenagers and should have known much better. If they are allowing so many to use this, then they should put in a toilet to stop this from happening and stuffing up the water table. We need water up there to be clean. All I can say is there are some pretty disgusting and ignorant people around the place and as Mt Barney is so popular now, they should do something about it.

If you'd gotten the "responsible adult's" number plate, and, as sick as it sounds,
photographic evidence (after the girls were done of course),
I think that would be actionable.

There are people in Dept NPSR that care.
THey cared enough to remove pink spray paint track marking two yrs ago.
for *&^%$# sake, if you need to track mark the South ridge go somewhere else.
I'd love to see Peasant's permanently closed for this reason alone,
but it wouldn't stop anyone using it.

The Old Hut was destroyed because it made the area a toilet.
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gbagua » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 1:50 pm

I think restricting access to the mountain would stop this sort of feral behaviour.

I hope QDNPRSR will start taking action soon.
gbagua

Postby Art » Mon 09 Sep, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm sure I wouldn't like to be told I can't go there at some time of year.

If one of the ascents such as Peasant's was made a descent route only,
the result might be more people getting lost, which is expensive.

gbagua wrote:I think restricting access to the mountain would stop this sort of feral behaviour.

I hope QDNPRSR will start taking action soon.
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland