Where Have All the Good Walking Guidebooks Gone To???

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Where Have All the Good Walking Guidebooks Gone To???

Postby Nungulba » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm planning a walk along the McPherson range next winter. The aim is to start from Border Loop station and finish at O'Reilly's. It's a sort of 'sentimental journey' and replaces an earlier idea of mine to explore the Running Creek area. Apparently it's under water still?? So I reckon I'll head for the hills instead.
When I started collecting info, however, I discovered that all of the guide books that I have for the area in question are ten to twenty years old (& some older than that!!!)
Does anyone know where I can buy a good guidebook for the Lamington Area, especially the western section? For 'historical' purposes I want to approach it from Mt Gipps, over Nungulba (my namesake!) then via Tweed Range Trig to the Point.

Failing a guidebook, perhaps an up-to-date website with 'track notes' or route guides?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Where Have All the Good Walking Guidebooks Gone To???

Postby Don R » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:36 am

interesting route it has been many years since I was up there. My recollection was that west of Tweed Trig the vegetation was quite horrible, albeit it was passable only a few years beforehand. From Tweed Trig to O Reillys shouldn't be a problem. parts of the border ranges can be very easy going, such as the nth side of Lever's Plateau. Do you need a copy of Ross Buchanan's 20 year old notes on the area ?
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby gbagua » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 7:06 am

I would be interested too. Thank you :)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nungulba » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:03 pm

Don R wrote:interesting route it has been many years since I was up there. My recollection was that west of Tweed Trig the vegetation was quite horrible, albeit it was passable only a few years beforehand. From Tweed Trig to O Reillys shouldn't be a problem. parts of the border ranges can be very easy going, such as the nth side of Lever's Plateau. Do you need a copy of Ross Buchanan's 20 year old notes on the area ?

Since posting my trip proposal I have been considering a number of other options (including one suggestion from a fellow-exiled Queenslander). One idea is to start from O'Reilly's and walk West (young man!) This means that the 'easy' part of the trip is first, & this way allows time to get rid of some mental cobwebs ( inevitable weight in the saddle bags of old age!!). Walking East to West also means that some long climbs turn into descents - another concession to Pensioners?!

Again, I've been looking at the possibility of dropping off into Running Creek Valley at the end of the walk instead of continuing along the old rabbit fence to Richmond Gap (for 'Old Times Sake'). I've been UP Black Snake Ridge so going DOWN it shouldn't be too bad? Perhaps an extra day recovering at the Rimfall Cottages!

Thanks for the offer of the Buchanan guide. I've actually got that one (2nd revised edn, I think) but it's a bit out-dated now (post Global Warming, etc). The new book by the Dalys is useful as far as Point Lookout, but SILENT on the rest of the Lamington traverse. I guess it's just up to basic instincts & the stars???

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from any 'old-timers' who feel like 'stretching the legs'!
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nungulba » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 8:31 pm

gbagua wrote:I would be interested too. Thank you :)

Good News! A revised edition of the Rankin guide is due for publication in mid-2014.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nungulba » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 4:03 am

Good News!!! The Rankin guidebook is finally available, with some great aerials of Barney. Looks like I'll have to postpone retirement for a little longer?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 5:57 am

For those interested, available from here.....http://www.rankin.com.au/books.htm 8)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 6:51 am

Interested to know for those who have read it - the only QLD guidebook I have is the Daly's Take a Walk in SEQ, is there considerable overlap with Rankin's book or is it worth getting as an additional guide?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 5:30 pm

I'll let you know when It arrives.... :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 7:00 pm

Cheers ofuros!
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nungulba » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 11:02 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Interested to know for those who have read it - the only QLD guidebook I have is the Daly's Take a Walk in SEQ, is there considerable overlap with Rankin's book or is it worth getting as an additional guide?

Rankin's book is in the same style as the original 'Secrets...' , more aimed at the experienced/adventurous walker than the Daly guide (which doesn't venture much away from the 'tourist' routes!) It's always advisable to have an alternative if possible.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 2:24 pm

Quickly perusing the guide after taking it from my postmans sweaty fingers.....ditto what Nungulba said.

Definitely for 'off track' lovers.
The aerial views of Lindesay, Maroon, Lost World Plateau & Barney with the routes marked are a standout.
Maps are large scale, giving you rough route, vegetation & topo detail.
He's short & concise, tells you what you need to know with useful hints based on his experience in that area.
There is overlap with other guides, but this has more depth....worth the $25 to have it on your bookshelf.

Your still going to have to scan the internet for past trip reports & pics, ask questions in forums, crosscheck with other guides,
hunch over map details..imagining the landscape, plan access & possible exits if things go awry. My favourite bits. 8)

Remember all these guides are just a stepping stone, a spark... to get you off that oh-so comfy leather couch & out there having your own
breathtaking adventures in the scenic rim. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:14 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the tips Nungulba and ofuros... sounds like it will be an exciting addition to my collection. Anything that leads to more internet browsing for trip reports and photos can only be a good thing. ;)

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 12:11 pm

Just got my copy. What a beautiful book. The photos are stunning and it covers a really cool range of walks. I wasn't expecting the climbing information too. Some definite adventures to be had there.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 2:38 pm

Just makes you want get out there & explore some more... :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wombeyan » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:53 am

I have walk from border loop to Binna Burra. I was on the Brisbane train and organised it to stop at Border look, then I walked to Richmond Gap and then followed the border fence east to Nungulba and along a foot pad to the escarpment. From there a foot pas sticks to the ridges along the escarpment until the stratcher track and then on to Rat a Tat hut. The track improves from there ober Throakban and Bithongabel where the tourist track netword is reached and from there Binna Burra is easily accessibe. The walk took 3 days. My great grandfather was william Rowland who along with Roberts put down the original border survey in the 1850s so I was actually following my great grandfather's blaze marks.
wombeyan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: nil

Postby ofuros » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:24 pm

I like thought of you walking in your
great grandfather's footsteps...well done wombeyan.
Any pics to share ?
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nungulba » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 2:16 pm

wombeyan wrote:I have walk from border loop to Binna Burra. I was on the Brisbane train and organised it to stop at Border look, then I walked to Richmond Gap and then followed the border fence east to Nungulba and along a foot pad to the escarpment. From there a foot pas sticks to the ridges along the escarpment until the stratcher track and then on to Rat a Tat hut. The track improves from there ober Throakban and Bithongabel where the tourist track netword is reached and from there Binna Burra is easily accessibe. The walk took 3 days. My great grandfather was william Rowland who along with Roberts put down the original border survey in the 1850s so I was actually following my great grandfather's blaze marks.

Hi, Wombeyan! Thanks for the memories.

Tell me, when did you do this walk? Recently? I am interested to learn about the current state of the track from the end of the rabbit fence to Point Lookout. It used to be reasonable condition during the 70s but the coming of the big rains (2010/2011) suggests that it is not so easy nowadays?

Pics please!!!
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland