Mt Barney Burn

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Barney Burn

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 12:28 pm

I just received photos of the burn on Mt Barney on Monday!! What a dumb time to burn. It could have been done last week after the rain, this week the high temps and winds just did not make sense. I bet it was a decision by some dumb twit in the government that does not have a clue about how the weather works! It looks like the wildlife would never have had a chance to get the hell out of there! I doubt it would have been a rangers decision at all, but someone high up! Very disappointing indeed! Looking at the photo I received, no one would want to go anywhere near the place for some time.
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Barney Burn

Postby Nungulba » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 1:40 pm

Ranger-Jules 1 wrote:I just received photos of the burn on Mt Barney on Monday!! What a dumb time to burn. It could have been done last week after the rain, this week the high temps and winds just did not make sense. I bet it was a decision by some dumb twit in the government that does not have a clue about how the weather works! It looks like the wildlife would never have had a chance to get the hell out of there! I doubt it would have been a rangers decision at all, but someone high up! Very disappointing indeed! Looking at the photo I received, no one would want to go anywhere near the place for some time.

I'm APPALLED!!!!!!!

Why can't these bureaucrats (both desk-bound & hidebound) practise mastering INACTIVITY for once in their lives????

My own experience of working in the public service back in the 60s & 70s (before I saw the error of my ways & went back to school!) was that everyone had to appear to be BUSY, even if they weren't, and those few tempted by the greasy pole of promotion were always devising crazy schemes so as to be NOTED by the 'powers that be'.

So, next time you see a public servant, tell him to keep his hands in his pockets and his ideas to himself!

Cheers.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby phan_TOM » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 2:32 pm

Idiots. I've been thinking about heading up there soon too, hopefully it rains so the vegetation can recover a bit...

I found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCplDv14LY
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gbagua » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 6:12 pm

Ranger-Jules 1 wrote:I just received photos of the burn on Mt Barney on Monday!!

Could you please post the photos?

Thanks.
gbagua

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 8:18 pm

I was going to spend this weekend at Mt Barney but had to cancel because of this stupidity.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Sat 28 Sep, 2013 3:37 pm

ULWalkingPhil wrote:I was going to spend this weekend at Mt Barney but had to cancel because of this stupidity.

Likewise :?
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 29 Sep, 2013 6:37 am

Was so looking forward to Mt Barney, never been there before. Matter of hours after booking camp permits we received an email from Parks Service that the park is closed . I cant believe they done this during school holidays and long weekend.

Similar is happening up my way, it appears the Government is using every excuse it can find to close our parks.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Mon 30 Sep, 2013 5:17 pm

Walked out to Castle Crag from O'Reilley's today - could still see the smoke coming from Barney.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Art » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 12:50 pm

I thought this was going to be about the burn you feel in your Quads after the trip!
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 2:58 pm

I wish it was that sort of burn. It is closed, saying "wildfire" we all know it was bombed!! I bet it became a wildfire after what they did to it!!!
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Art » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 7:14 pm

Ranger-Jules 1 wrote:I wish it was that sort of burn. It is closed, saying "wildfire" we all know it was bombed!! I bet it became a wildfire after what they did to it!!!

Clearly.. an accidental fire wouldn't begin simultaneously in many locations,
and the park entrances would be taped.
It would be interesting to know the difference in this outcome, if any, to what the anticipated result was.
I imagine the area does need fire.
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sef » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 2:23 pm

Did something finally claim the tree on Logans? Sad. Be interesting to see what it does to the saplings on top of leaning too.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Art » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 11:22 am

It is interesting, no comments allowed on the video.
I asked if the photographer has seen a fire like this before in the same location.
Art
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby findbuddha » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:34 pm

Mt Barney National Park has been re opened to bushwalking and camping following a wildfire. This applies to all tracks and camping sites throughout the park. Caution needs to be exercised when walking through burnt areas due to the ongoing possibility of falling trees and unstable areas.

For more information contact the Ranger on
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gav » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 8:12 am

Did something finally claim the tree on Logans?
It survived.
gav
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mt Barney Lodge » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 1:41 pm

To put this burn in context, QPWS were responding to a rapidly expanding bushfire days after a signal fire from lost bush walkers on SE Ridge got out of control.

Their mitigation strategy was to do a top- down burn which in the adverse weather conditions was a cooler burn than just letting the existing fire burn without plan.

To be fair, QPWS has been monitoring the mountain for several years to select the most ideal time to burn, and they have cancelled these plans several times when the conditions became unfavourable.

As an Ecotourism business at the base of Mt Barney, I am very satisfied with the QPWS intervention on this occasion.

There are some great photos of the 2 weeks of fire on Mt Barney on Mt Barney Lodge's timeline: https://www.facebook.com/mtbarneylodge?ref=hl

By the way, Mt Barney is open again for hiking, and with recent heavy rain, the new green shoots should be a sight to behold!!
Mt Barney Lodge
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mt Barney Lodge

Postby Picaro » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 10:09 am

Good to know, thanks. Reminds me, I'm overdue for a Barney visit.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nungulba » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 5:25 pm

Mt Barney Lodge wrote:To put this burn in context, QPWS were responding to a rapidly expanding bushfire days after a signal fire from lost bush walkers on SE Ridge got out of control.

Their mitigation strategy was to do a top- down burn which in the adverse weather conditions was a cooler burn than just letting the existing fire burn without plan.

Thank you for supplying the background to this incident.

I'm still confused about why QPWS decided to do a 'top down' burn! If the fire was trending up then this would not ultimately make any difference???
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby findbuddha » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm guessing because flames burn upwards they tend to travel faster/hotter uphill - if the uphill fuel is already burned the only possible direction for the fire to go is slower/cooler downhill.

Thanks for the info Barney Lodge :)
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland