Canyoning around Brisbane Area

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Canyoning around Brisbane Area

Postby CanyonChief » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Guys,

Looking at doing some more canyoning/abseiling around Brisbane area I have done Black Canyon, Back Creek and few of the waterfalls around the place.

I am wanting to do Burnett Creek Gorge, but cant find any information on the track notes, does anyone have any details they could share with me?
Also plan on doing Coomera Crevice some time in future.

Besides these is there anything else? I have heard some mentions of Barney Creek & Boolumba Creek on the internet however I cant find out much information does anyone have any experience with these at all?

Cheers
CanyonChief
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Canyoning around Brisbane Area

Postby Flinders » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:48 am

Haven't tried this but might be what you are looking for very close to Brisbane.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7F80TQZeBPM

Also look at England Creek in Diagular NP. There is a left and right branch and I've seen the both called the left branch. The one east of Joyners Ridge Rd sounds like a pleasant scramble and from what I have heard the branch west of Joyners Ridge Rd is steeper and requires an abseil.
Flinders
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 3:11 pm

I'd search the archives of OzCanyons. There have been a number of discussion regarding canyons near Brisbane or in northern NSW over the years: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OzCanyons/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Postby bumblefoot » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 1:14 pm

CanyonChief wrote:Hi Guys,

Looking at doing some more canyoning/abseiling around Brisbane area I have done Black Canyon, Back Creek and few of the waterfalls around the place.

I am wanting to do Burnett Creek Gorge, but cant find any information on the track notes, does anyone have any details they could share with me?
Also plan on doing Coomera Crevice some time in future.

Besides these is there anything else? I have heard some mentions of Barney Creek & Boolumba Creek on the internet however I cant find out much information does anyone have any experience with these at all?

Cheers

Hi Fat Canyoner, We had some email corro a while back. I know those areas and in fact did Burnett Creek Gorge last weekend. There are some photos on FB. Coomera Crevice has been banned for some years, you will have to do the black ops approach for that one.

Barney Creek & Booloumba Creek are both very beautiful but they are not canyons.

Cheers, Bumblefoot. PS send me a PM and I'll give you more details. Would be happy to take you to Burnnett Gorge.
bumblefoot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andynwoo » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi. Keen canyoner here that would like info on Burnet creek again and Coomera Crevice. Have done Burnett creek at least twice but was over 15 years ago and cant remember directions. Im new at this forum and cant seem to PM. so an email to andy at sunshineunicycles.com would be great
cheers
Andy
andynwoo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bob_oz » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi,

Keen canyoner moved form sydney a few years ago. Bungonia (spring creek / long gully / jarara) were my regulars - Back Creek is my local but wanting to check Burnett Creek

Any trips or tips?

Thanks
bob_oz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hypothermiahollow » Sun 15 Mar, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi local canyoners. I'd really like to do the Burnett Creek Gorge again. Are any of you planning to go soon and would you mind if I came along with you? Do you know of anyone who runs trips for small groups. I'd love to introduce a couple of my good friends to this pastime - it's a great way to spend a day - especially a hot one!! I hope someone will get a nudge from this oldish thread.......
hypothermiahollow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Brandon_Hawkins » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 9:00 am

Hi hypothermiahollow, would you still be interested in doing Burnett Creek?
Brandon_Hawkins
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby lchln » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:14 pm

Sorry to bump an old post but would anyone be able to PM me directions for Burnett Creek? It's quite easy to find on a topo map but I'm just aware that there are private properties in the area and would rather stick to a track that is used, if there is one, rather than create my own. Alternatively, if anyone wants to head out there as well, I'd be happy for you to show me the way :D
lchln
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Agms » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi. Access from qld is on private property and when i went we got reported to the police by the land owners. Might be better to go from NSW border.
Agms
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Na

Postby Coastal75 » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 11:34 am

Hi Guys,

Would someone be able to please msg me the directions and some info on the Burnett Creek gorge also? NSW access and Co-ordinates would be great! Thanks!
Coastal75
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nath_outside » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 8:54 pm

Just got back from a long weekend canyoning in the Blue Mountains. I've done quite a bit down there and introduced some friends to this new world. They are now hooked and would love to try some up here in Queensland.
Any up to date info would be greatly appreciated.
Nath_outside
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby breesmith87 » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey people

Just got back from Canyoning in the Bluies and am now hooked. Bad news is I live in Brisbane. Anyone know of some canyons near Brissy that are accessible via 2wd?
breesmith87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby breesmith87 » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:48 pm

Can anyone please tell me what length of static rope is required for Back Creek Canyon? Thanks :)
breesmith87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Happy hiker » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi everyone, I was looking for somewhere else to go canyoning after doing Back creek, and stumbled on this website. Looks like it has the full list of canyons for Brisbane area! So keen! Anyone else done the ones mentioned?

https://www.theverticaladventurer.com/s ... ning-guide

Peace!
Happy hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Happy hiker » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 6:50 pm

breesmith87 wrote:Can anyone please tell me what length of static rope is required for Back Creek Canyon? Thanks :)

60m rope does it!
Happy hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby The ghost who walks » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 7:10 pm

Just a quick reminder, Happy hiker. Quite a few of the exciting abseils described in your link can not be done as there is a ban on abseiling in Lamington National Park.
If someone has found a way around the ban, please tell me as I know a number of people that would be very keen to do them. Cheers.
The ghost who walks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jamazzle » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 12:23 am

Anyone here looking for someone to do some canyoning around Brisbane with? Similar to most, started canyoning in the Blue Mountains and keen to do more here. Have abseiled a few of the waterfalls around and keen to do some more exploring.
jamazzle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ofuros » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 8:10 am

Just as a heads up, the NorthernRivers bushwalking club (Lismore) has some abseil training coming up in early Aug & usually has some abseil & exploratory trips planned during the warmer months...on both the Qld & NSW sides of the border, if your interested.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 12:47 pm

Please refer to the following info:

The Ultimate Brisbane Canyoning Guide
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius