Rat-A Tat

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Rat-A Tat

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 7:48 am

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has been through to Rat a Tat this season from Echo. Looking for a heads up on track condition, water availability etc.
Cheers JP
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Rat-A Tat

Postby Picaro » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 3:05 pm

Last time I was talking to the ranger maybe 6 weeks ago he told me that section was still trashed from last year.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Picaro » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 3:08 pm

Just trying to remember but I think he said the rat a tat to point lookout was the worst of it

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 4:32 pm

Just got his back from Lamington Rangers... They probably err on the side of caution, and rightly so... but good to know.

We had a lot of damage out that way after ex Cyclone Oswald but the trail from Echo Point to Rat A Tat is still OK. After that I could not tell you definitely what the conditions are like. I know the track up from the west to Point Lookout received a lot of damage and is very difficult going. Based on this, to be on the safe side I would anticipate some damage and prepare for that. However, we have had campers out that way over Easter and haven’t received any bad condition reports.
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 10 May, 2014 2:49 pm

Hey Jayps68,

I did the walk to Rat-a-Tat hut over Easter (check out my blog for more details: http://sirkingchampionmunch.blogspot.co ... lbert.html). This was my first time there so I can't comment on how the track was like compared to previous years, but it took us 2.5-3 hours from Albert River Circuit to the campsite each way (we are slow walkers, plus got lost a few times). Didn't see anyone else on the track, and didn't notice there being water anywhere near the track except at the campsite itself. There was a short sidetrack we accidentally took on the way there that seemed to take us to a dry creekbed, about 15 minutes from the actual hut.

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jayps68 » Mon 12 May, 2014 9:26 am

Munch...
Champion effort. Thanks for the details, photos and notes. Havent been out there for a few years so it will come in very handy. See you on the track!!
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland