South East Queensland Walks and Camping

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South East Queensland Walks and Camping

Postby dizzyman » Thu 01 May, 2014 10:25 am

Hi All,

I am looking to get into multiple-day walks with a group of people and just had a few questions:

- Does anyone here use a hammock for these types of walks? And are you allowed to use the trees surrounding the campground for the hammock? Ever had any hammock related problems? I was thinking of a Hennessy variant.
- I have heard a few people mention bush camping, which I assume was not using the designated walkers camp areas and just going slightly off track to make camp. I presume this is illegal? Does anyone have experience doing this?
- I have looked at the designated 'great walks', are there others that are also good?

Thanks for the advice.
dizzyman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: South East Queensland Walks and Camping

Postby ofuros » Fri 02 May, 2014 5:59 am

Stick 'ofuros' in the search box......most of my trip reports are in the SE QLD, hanging from trees.
Wide straps around the base of the tree is the key, so there's no damage now or for future hangs.
Inch/ 25mm straps or wider are the go.

If it's your first time playing with hammocks, definitely play with it at home first, in a local park or
do an campground overnighter. So you know how to set it up to your liking.
Don't forget some form of insulation too, mighty chilly without it. :wink:

I'm sure other hangers will help with your questions once they see your post....there's quite
a few in this forum, especially in the SE.Qld :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Fri 02 May, 2014 5:09 pm

dizzyman wrote:Hi All,

I am looking to get into multiple-day walks with a group of people and just had a few questions:

- Does anyone here use a hammock for these types of walks? And are you allowed to use the trees surrounding the campground for the hammock? Ever had any hammock related problems? I was thinking of a Hennessy variant.
- I have heard a few people mention bush camping, which I assume was not using the designated walkers camp areas and just going slightly off track to make camp. I presume this is illegal? Does anyone have experience doing this?
- I have looked at the designated 'great walks', are there others that are also good?

Thanks for the advice.

I also use a hammock. So comfy and they suit the climate up here in the warmer months very well.

Bush camping to me would refer to any camping where you've walked out and camped. Rather than just camping next to the car. Different people may refer to this differently. As far as I'm aware if there are designated campsites available you should use them. If there isn't, then you can pretty much set up where your tent/hammock will fit. For walks such as the 'great walks' there are designated campsites with tent sites marked out and you should use these to avoid damaging the area surrounding the camp grounds. If you find yourself not being able to make the next campsite in a day because of whatever reasons you're not going to get arrested for setting up camp wherever you can.

The options for overnight walks in SE Queensland are endless. The great walks are a good starting point if you are fit (some of them have quite long days of walking). They don't require much navigation because they are on marked tracks and the campsites are well fitted out with toilets and water tanks.

Once you graduate to walking off track you can literally choose your own adventure. In these situations the camp sites are sometimes just known clearings in the middle of the bush. You can find the bush campsites for Main Range NP on the National Parks website. You can get a list of bush campsites for Lamington NP from the ranger. Just keep in mind that you do still have to pay camping fees for bush camping.

Have a good search on these forums, look for the 'Take a walk: in SE Qld' book at your local camping shop, do plenty of research and check out my blog here: http://www.hikinginseqld.com/ for some suggestions.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Trailrider74 » Wed 07 May, 2014 11:07 pm

I recently hammock camped in a designated bush camping area in a SEQ NP. I've not seen any policy restricting the use of hammocks, but I definitely advise on during tree straps. Designated bush camps in NPs are generally well away from busy areas so it shouldn't be a problem to set up a hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trailrider74
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland