Kondalilla NP

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kondalilla NP

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 9:48 am

Hi all,

Thinking about doing a day walk sometime soon at Kondalilla NP - I haven't been there since I was a kid, just wondering what folks recommend as the best option for a day hike? Currently looking at the first section of the Great Walk from Baroon Pocket Dam to Kondalilla Falls and back again, looks like around 20 km but not sure if this is a good option? Is there something else better to see there in a day walk?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Kondalilla NP

Postby Schmeed » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 11:35 am

I walked the whole Sunshine Coast Great Walk, in preparation for the Kokoda Challenge (96km over 39hrs). We started at Baroon Pocket Dam and did the walk that way. I can say that the track is fairly easy and extremely hard to get lost on (we did this section between 8pm and 11pm). The scenery should be alright, but just as you get towards Kondalilla Falls it is much like a super highway. I reckon the worst bit of the whole walk is walking along the road sections, I'm so glad we did them at night time.
Schmeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Kondalilla NP

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 8:47 am

Was that 3 hours it took you to walk from the start @Baroon Pocket Dam to Kondalilla falls area Schmeed? I was planning on doing this section yesterday but arrived to find a horde of trail runners about to set off on a race with cameramen, megaphones etc... ended up just visited the falls section and doing the short walks there instead. Signs at the day area suggested the dam to the falls takes 5-6 hours one way!

Also I wonder has anyone has done the Obi Obi Gorge walk as highlighted in the Take A Walk in SEQ book (the rock-hop/float/swim along Skene and Obi Obi Creek) ... would be interested in hearing people's experience on this track.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland