Snakes alive!

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snakes alive!

Postby johnnymacfnq » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:05 pm

Just a reminder for anyone heading up to the far north, all seasons are snake seasons. I've encountered them around Cairns and on the Atherton Tablelands, especially in rainforest where the thick canopy often means the only place the sun hits the forest floor is in cleared areas, like the trail you're walking on...... :o
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Snakes alive!

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:07 pm

There must be more story to this...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnnymacfnq » Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:39 pm

I saw one swimming in the Barron river near Cairns today, which reminded me of the red bellied black sunning itself on the track on a steep section of the Kahlpahlim rock trail that I had a close encounter with just recently. The problem with logging trails in heavy rainforest is that they allow light to hit the ground where it otherwise might not, making them great spots to encounter snakes, especially after a tough climb, and you're not paying attention.
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Wed 23 Jul, 2014 9:44 am

johnnymacfnq wrote:Just a reminder for anyone heading up to the far north, all seasons are snake seasons. I've encountered them around Cairns and on the Atherton Tablelands, especially in rainforest where the thick canopy often means the only place the sun hits the forest floor is in cleared areas, like the trail you're walking on...... :o

Good advice, I also have first hand experience of that. Staying in Port Douglas almost exactly this time 2 years ago. I went for a solo walk from the top end of the Bump Track, detouring down to Mowbray Falls. On the steep descent down to the falls almost stepped on a snake slithering across the track. Can't remember the species but think I may have taken a photo. Just as well I saw it in time. :shock:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Wed 23 Jul, 2014 8:21 pm

Good advice.

Actually I think they are more a risk in 'winter' up here as they spend more time sunning and a bit slower to get away. In summer they will be out of your way before you ever see them. They certainly don't hole up like down south. Indeed winter is breeding season for some NQ snakes.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jackhinde » Wed 23 Jul, 2014 8:38 pm

Dogs alive! Just a reminder for anyone walking anywhere urban or suburban that dogs are active even at this time of year and can be encountered at any time of day. These animals are known to attack even when unprovoked and cause thousands of injuries and even deaths to Australian each year...
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 4:35 pm

I dodged a largish Tiger Snake 'sunning' itself on the M4 Road yesterday. Quite a shock to see that down here in winmter, even if the recent conditions have been pretty mild.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby nq111 » Thu 24 Jul, 2014 6:20 pm

jackhinde wrote:Dogs alive! Just a reminder for anyone walking anywhere urban or suburban that dogs are active even at this time of year and can be encountered at any time of day. These animals are known to attack even when unprovoked and cause thousands of injuries and even deaths to Australian each year...

I don't think the intention of the OP was to overdramatise the risk of snakes (yes the risk of bite is very low, though worth being mindful of it).
nq111

Postby johnnymacfnq » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 2:36 pm

haha, very funny, nq111 is right, I just wanted to point out they are active at times when visitors might not realise. Same for ticks.
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland