Water on Mt Barney

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water on Mt Barney

Postby bigkev » Sun 14 Sep, 2014 8:39 pm

I am planning an overnight walk on Mt Barney in a couple of weeks. Permits organised, logistics sorted, I was wondering about the likely hood of obtaining water near the rum jungle camp site. Never having walked there before I'm not sure how reliable the creek is and would greatly appreciate any local advice.

Cheers
Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Water on Mt Barney

Postby tomh » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:15 am

Rum Jungle campsite is close to the beginnings of Egan Creek and Barney Gorge Creek. Unfortunately the area is also used as the Rum Jungle toilet, especially the first ~20m of Egan Creek, with visible toilet paper. Campsite is heavily used including school groups. Advice is don't use the water, take all you need - or boil/treat any you might find.

The Mount Lindesay map shows Egan Creek starting at the south west of Barney West Peak - but it does have a tributary, not shown on the map, which starts at Rum Jungle.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bigkev » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for that tomh, it sounds a little nasty! I think I'll carry enough to see me through, if I do collect any I'll definitely treat it.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pastuseby » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 8:56 am

I have done Barney 5 times from different routes, including the gorge. I have used the water on 2 occasions dropping in a pill. The water is clear but may not be sterile. Was quite drinkable and no ill effects.
pastuseby
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bigkev » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks for that Pastuseby, I'm looking forward to my trip up there next week. I'll use a pill if I'm collecting it from below any camping areas.

Cheers
Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Sun 19 Oct, 2014 6:44 pm

DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG

Hi Guys,

I had a successful trip, I climbed South East Ridge and descended South Ridge. I treated the water and have no ill effects so far.

I've written up a trip report with a heap of photos at http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/mtbarney if you want to have a look.

Once again, thanks for sharing your local knowledge.

Cheers
Kevin
Attachments
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0113.JPG
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland