Coomera Gorge, Lamington.

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Coomera Gorge, Lamington.

Postby RoganJosh » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 2:12 am

Hello fellow bushwalkers,

A friend I are planning on traversing up the Coomera River and into the gorge from the Gwongoorool Pool. This will be our first time to the area and although I have scoured the internet for information I am still a little hazy on some things. I was wondering if anyone who has done this walk can possibly give me some track tips? Things to do, not to do etc.

Also I was wondering if anyone has gotten onto the coomera circuit from the gorge, or vice versa? I would love to be able to take a different route back rather than going back down the river/gorge. Due to forum rules could you PM rather than publish any such information on this possible side track.

Thankyou :)
RoganJosh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Coomera Gorge, Lamington.

Postby GarethMcguigan » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 12:43 pm

RoganJosh wrote:Hello fellow bushwalkers,

A friend I are planning on traversing up the Coomera River and into the gorge from the Gwongoorool Pool. This will be our first time to the area and although I have scoured the internet for information I am still a little hazy on some things. I was wondering if anyone who has done this walk can possibly give me some track tips? Things to do, not to do etc.

Also I was wondering if anyone has gotten onto the coomera circuit from the gorge, or vice versa? I would love to be able to take a different route back rather than going back down the river/gorge. Due to forum rules could you PM rather than publish any such information on this possible side track.

Thankyou :)

Hey, I'm planning on heading up coomera gorge and was wondering if anyone PM you with a different way back, would be great to know.
GarethMcguigan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cams » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 10:42 am

Secrets of the Scenic Rim mentions a very steep route down from the Coomera Circuit. It doesn't go into a lot of detail. I'll have another look tonight. I'm also hoping to get up the gorge sometime soon. Big day out by all accounts.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby dis » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 4:32 pm

The short cut into the gorge is referred too as the Mystery Track. There is not a lot of beta out there as it is considered a "sensitive route".
Last edited by dis on Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Pteropus » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 8:46 pm

There is an older thread regarding Coomera Gorge -> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7844
The sensitivity of the so called Mystery Track was discussed on that thread and details of the route were asked to be removed. Perhaps consider removing them from here as well dis?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Don R » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello all,

I haven't gone down The Mystery Track to the bottom of Coomera Gorge for many years, however at that time it was very eroded and scrambling. Considering the slippages along the side of the gorge over the years it may not be trafficable anymore. May I suggest that you just go to the swimming pool and walk upstream. I have done that several times, and have walked out after doing the Coomera Canyon (oops, no I have never done the Canyon and Falls abseil if there are any Rangers reading.....). It is a nice rock hop with piccabeen palms, waterholes, etc. from the bottom of the gorge you can gauge the accessibility of the track anyhow. If this isn't acceptable, there is an old tourist mud map which shows the "Commando Track", it is probably available from the State Library collection. I had a copy at one stage and it took a little exploring to find the start.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland