Border Track and Children

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Border Track and Children

Postby timmyandjane » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum.
We are looking at walking the Border Track (Binna Burra to O'Reillys) in June. We have 3 children (6/8/10). Is anyone able to tell me if this walk is suitable for little guys of this age ? They are very active, fit etc...... but I have no idea whether this is doable or not. Are we crazy ? Help / Advice please.
timmyandjane
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Border Track and Children

Postby tomh » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 8:07 am

The border track is easy walking, graded (no steep sections) and well signposted. The only reason for concern is its length - 21.4 km - which will take about 7 hours for an adult. Your decision on whether your children, especially the six year old, could walk that distance without tiring.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi Timmyandjane,

Agree with tomh, border track is easy, well-signed, mostly flat or gentle gradients, only concern would be over the distance. After storms treefalls can block the track, particularly along the escarpment, but these usually get cleared pretty quick. Do you have a bit of time to spend in the area? Would suggest doing a shorter walk at either end if you're concerned about distance, avoids the hassle of a car shuffle and you get to explore some of the great tracks away from the BT.

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby timmyandjane » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for replies. Yes, I think we might start with some of the shorter walks first :)
timmyandjane
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Superscout » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:09 am

Hi my name is jack I am from Bracken Ridge scouts I am planing to do a hike from O'reillys to Binnaburra does anyone know a decent stop over on the border track for an over night hike it is supposed to be called the tuckeroo bush campsite and what are the permits I need.
Superscout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Jack, never heard of tuckeroo bush camp but you can camp at Mt Bithongabel, about 1/3 of the way from O'Reilly's to Binna Burra - see here for details http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamin ... mping.html

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Superscout » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 10:33 am

it was an amazing hike and it was very beautiful. it was an easy walk except for the wet track
Superscout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland