Lamington National Park experience

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lamington National Park experience

Postby WillingYesAbleMaybe » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 7:32 pm

Hello everyone, first post for me here at Bushwalk Australia. :D

If I'm in the wrong place, please nudge me in the right direction (ie. if this forum is for reports rather than discussion / questions or whatnot)...
Edit by moderator - done - split this to a new topic.

Reading with interest all the talk about Lamington NP in general, but Black Canyon in particular. BC has captured my attention and imagination now for some time, but I'm yet to get a chance to get in there. Well, I've decided that has to change!
It seems that all the talk is of gong in from off of the Albert River loop from O'Reilly's - but has anyone got any info about an approach from the Albert right branch side, through the Worendo-Lost World saddle? I would like to give this a go, and in fact went on a bit of a reccy several days ago, though a late start (unavoidable) made it a bit aimless.

Also, if doing this I have an idea that I'd like to make it a 2-day trip. So, up to the saddle, and drop gear/set up, then down into BC, and out the next day via the same way in (ie. avoid a car shuffle) - so any info on that particular camp site would also be very welcome.

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!!

I love Lamington NP, and simply have not had enough time yet to do and see everything I want to there. I bet from the posts I've read here, that a few of you can relate to this. Sooooooooooo glad to have found this forum :D

Cheers,
Nathan.
WillingYesAbleMaybe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lamington National Park experience

Postby cams » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Nathan. Welcome to the forums.

I haven't approached from that direction, but I vaguely remember someone posting about it here at some point. Maybe do a bit more searching on the forums.

I can say that the Worrendo-Lost World saddle campsite is quite obvious and spacious. Plenty of room for numerous tents. Just watch for bull ants.

Sounds like a good trip.

Cam
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Pteropus » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:36 pm

I've only entered Black Canyon by the regular route and haven't come off the Lost World into the Albert River. However, one of the blokes I used to walk with said he had done the Lost world traverse and came out down into the Albert River Left Branch, and since he was very experienced in Lamington, i'd say it's doable. I do think you would pop out onto the river below Red Rock Cutting (see tas-man's old map). I am not sure what the cutting is like, though it is directly below where the Shooting Creek, which is where the regular route to the canyon joins the Albert River. I can't remember what it looked like down river from there, but I do recall that the canyon is steep at that point. It might be worth a recce rock-hop up the Albert River to look for possible routes before going onto the Lost World? If you make it up there, please let us all know how you go (with photos!).
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby The ghost who walks » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 10:28 am

I have done Black Canyon as a 3 day walk, in to Lost world saddle on day one. Day2 down to the river, up to BC and return. Day 3 out along the river, up commando track to Luke's farm. It is doable as a 2 day if you are fast(I am not). Veeeery early start from O'Reilleys, over Worendo to the saddle campsite, I concur with Cams about the bull ants. Drop your heavy stuff here and go down to the river,(don't forget to bring your water bottles with you to fill up for the night). You hit the river a short way downstream of Red Rock Cutting, unless you want to swim(freezing), climb up on the opposite bank a fair bit downstream of the cutting, stay relatively close to the edge as you bypass the cutting, it gets very scratchy higher up. You will return to the riverbed where a side creek enters from the left. The rest of the way is full of boulders, classic Lamington stuff. The canyon is a remarkable spot, but don't linger as you have to make it back before dark. I suggest that you put up a very visible temporary marker such as a red jumper on a stick at the spot where you enter the river from the campsite. You do not want to miss the spot and GPS reception can be dicey or non existent in a deep canyon like that. You will sleep well at the camp that night, unless of course the bull ants got other ideas.
I hope this is helpful.
Cheers.
The ghost who walks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WillingYesAbleMaybe » Wed 24 Jun, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the info - I will be doing this soon, and will report back! It might have been in the next few days (even tomorrow), but the wether is looking iffy, so I'll watch it and see what plays out.

Ghost who walks - I'm not familiar with the "commando track", and also it sounds like you came in from O'Reillys (ie. border track / Albert loop / off track), is that correct? I'm looking at coming in to the saddle camp from the end of the Kerry Road. But great info, thank you.

Also, the grid listed for the Lost World (Creek) site is 113 745, from my information. Can anyone tell me, is this accurate? When I plot that I land on a piece of topo that is unlikely to have much of a campsite : ) and from things I have read (my subconscious might be fooling me here) I had an idea that camp was on the NW area of the formation, not to the south / looking south, and thus I thought the creek would be one that ran to Albert Left, not Albert Right - this might be important should it be difficult to ultimately locate this camp.

Maybe best to just go in and wander around, with a few good hours to spare! : )

Not looking forward to potentially meeting these bullants! I'll be sure to check that they're not booked in for the same night as me...

Thanks again.
N.
WillingYesAbleMaybe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tomh » Thu 25 Jun, 2015 8:52 am

On my 9541-34 Lamington map dated 1995 the Lost World creek campsite is at 110 748 with the northing perhaps a bit more '748.5'. Close to, a short walk to, the top of the small falls.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WillingYesAbleMaybe » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks Tom. Yeah, your numbers plot more where I would have "expected".

The camp is not marked on my chart (same sheet, Lamington 9541-34; dated 2004). Interestingly, that other reference comes directly from http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au
Attachments
LWCCS.PNG
LWCCS.PNG (27.68 KiB) Viewed 8043 times
WillingYesAbleMaybe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland