Conondale Great Walk Access

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Conondale Great Walk Access

Postby jimmyrut » Mon 21 Dec, 2015 9:09 am

Hi All

Just a quick question as with the research I've done there seems to be some conflicting info. Can you in fact access the Booloumba Creek section with a 2WD vehicle? I note the NPSR website says 4WD access only, however I've read in the 'Take a Walk' book that it can be accessed in 2WD weather pending.

If anyone could give me some clarification it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :D
jimmyrut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Conondale Great Walk Access

Postby danthewanderer » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 2:57 pm

The main issue with 2wd vehicle is the rocky creek crossings, do-able if your vehicle has ok clearance & water levels are low, but it if rains & the creek comes up, I don't rate your chances. Hope this helps.
danthewanderer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 3:34 pm

you can get a lot of places with a 2wd. As Dan said, its a clearance concern. A tall vehicle will have not much problem, an average street car will scrape in the crossings. they are also the kind of crossings I wouldn't want to tempt when flooded, but to each their own. Its been a while since I've been there, but I don't recall the crossing being all that good.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lajs » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 4:13 pm

Was there today in a 4WD. Took a 2WD earlier in the week but turned back. Water levels seem fairly low at the moment but I personally wouldn't risk it. There are three creek crossings between Booloumba Creek Rd and the Great Walk entrance. You could walk from the first creek.. not sure how long it would take.
lajs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby canthardlywait » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:51 am

I did the walk in November this year and we parked at the bellbird cafe and the owner of the cafe dropped us to the first creek crossing. From there it's about 1-2km to the beginning of the Great Walk. If the weather forecast is fine you'd be okay to drive in in a 2wd (this is what we all thought when we were walking in), however we had a weekend of heavy rain and wouldn't have made it out.
canthardlywait
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland