Stairway Falls Lamington National Park

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Stairway Falls Lamington National Park

Postby Captain Cool » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any info or GPS points on where the track actually starts to Stairway Falls via Bull-Ant Spur in Lamington NP? I know there's several small areas off to the side of the road before O'Reilly's to park the car, just not sure which one is the start of this particular track... I've done the walk to the falls already via O'Reilly's -> Yerralahla Pool on the west canungra ck circuit, but I'm keen to get there a bit quicker & try a different route this time. Any info appreciated.

Cheers
Captain Cool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Stairway Falls Lamington National Park

Postby tomh » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 8:59 am

tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Stairway Falls Lamington National Park

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:34 pm

If you have trouble finding it from the top, you might have better luck from the bottom (if you would prefer to make it a circuit walk). I did it this way a few months ago, but after I walked out onto the road I looked back and the rainforest appeared to have gobbled the path right up! There is a NP sign a few metres into the forest though, so if you see this you will be all good.

Take care if you are following directions from the Take a Walk book (from the bottom)... it says the route starts climbing the spur from the first major right hand bend on the marked path heading to the border track from blue pool, but it was actually a few minutes further along from here (by my reckoning at least!). You will know immediately whether you are on the right path or not - although not obvious from the road or the marked track, it's pretty clear once you start on it. As mentioned in the wikiloc there are plenty of taped trees along the way (but higher density nearer to the road). Just stay on the top of the ridge and you will be fine!

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland