Basket Swamp Routes? (just over the border)

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Basket Swamp Routes? (just over the border)

Postby Moocattle » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 6:35 pm

Hey all,
I've been searching all day for track notes and route details for a Basket swamp overnighter and I haven't been able to find anything except a few cool pics and vague trip details. From what I gather, the main route taken heads down basket creek to the Cataract river, then head south for a bit where you camp at a waterfall on a sandy beach. The second day heads up a ridge somewhere to wellington rocks and maybe Timbara Trig?

Here's the route I've planned, about 24km, might cut it down by taking two cars so we don't have walk for ages on fire trails and gravel roads. If we end up with one car we might cut cross country from the rocks back to the car depending how swampy it is.

Not sure if it's the best ridge to head up, definitely less of an incline, depending how open it is maybe we'll head up the gully just north of the ridge. Topo obtained from https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/
Anyone done something similar before? any POI's I should checkout up any of the other creeks? Send me a PM if you have info ;)

Cheers.
Last edited by Moocattle on Tue 05 Jul, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moocattle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Basket Swamp Routes? (just over the border)

Postby The ghost who walks » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 9:18 pm

Sent info in PM
The ghost who walks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 6:23 am

Let's us know how you go, moocattle, been thinking of something similar.
Enjoy your adventure.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moocattle » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 9:56 am

Ended up going this past weekend. Was a lot of fun and really spectacular! The route was a perfect length to make the trip from Brissy for a one nighter.

Some risky waterfall navigating is involved; our group of six had to split up as some non risk-takers called it quits at the sight of the waterfall before the campsite. Took about 2.5hrs to get down to the campsite from the rocks, 3.5hrs back up for the non risk-takers, and my group took about 4.5hrs to get to basket swamp falls via Cataract river and Basket Creek. We all met up for Lunch at the top of the falls.

If you're planning something similar definitely take two cars and go in the warmer months where you can actually consider wading through some of the water sections comfortably (water was numbing).

PM me if you want more notes and details about the route (Can include GPS route or Topo w notes)

Here's an imgut album with some pics!

http://imgur.com/a/uA5IM
Moocattle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:00 am

Good looking trip, moocattle. 8-)
Pm sent your way.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davison1981 » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 1:39 pm

What are the roads like to Wellington Rock and Basket Swamp falls? Wondering if we will need a 4WD to do it in dry weather? thanks
davison1981
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moocattle » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:44 pm

The roads are somewhat maintained - no park fees means there's couple pot holes and trees taking up the track. The Wellington rock Rd was a bit worse off, but my sisters Citroen got to both carparks all right, and there were L platers in sedans at Basket Swamp falls when we were leaving. As long as you've got high clearance you should be right.
Moocattle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland