Wild camping around Brisbane?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wild camping around Brisbane?

Postby kneighbour » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 1:46 pm

I really like wild/bush/remote camping...you know – the kind that involves hiking through the bush, finding a nice patch of ground, and setting up camp for the night. I used to do this a bit as a kid, but it seems to be a dying activity.

The problem is camping is getting pretty heavily regulated by the government/local councils. I can understand why some areas are restricted, ie due to heavy usage perhaps. But I do a lot of day walks around Brisbane, and I can tell you, we would be lucky to see anyone on our walks. At best we might see a few motorcycle riders go through. But walkers? We are almost always totally alone. So heavy usage is not an excuse, at least in the areas we seem to be walking in.

I have been a car camper for years, but am starting to give that away for the very reason it is so hard to find a remote campsite. It is getting well nigh impossible. I am moving into bush walking and overnight camping as perhaps a better way to get that 'back to nature' experience.

I understand that one park allows this - Sundown. I have not been there yet, but most I most certainly will soon.

Are there any other areas around Brisbane that allow for this sort of camping?
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Wild camping around Brisbane?

Postby RonK » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:03 pm

You don't have to go very far at all. There are bush camps in D'Aguilar NP right on Brisbane's doorstep...

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/daguilar/pdf/south-daguilar-trail-map.pdf

I have been to Sundown some years ago - it's really a base camping/car camping experience with circuit walks, although you can camp anywhere. The 4wd access track we used in to the waterhole was extremely rough which made for a very slow trip.
Last edited by RonK on Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby kneighbour » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:11 pm

RonK wrote:You don't have to go very far at all. There are bush camps in D'Aguilar NP right on Brisbane's doorstep...
Well, I am way south of Brisbane, so not that close at all :wink:

I had a look at the government website for that park, and while it says that there are eight remote bush camps (and that you need a permit), it does not seem to actually prohibit wild camping. Are you suggesting that it is ok to camp at any location you like?
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:12 pm

Main Range NP too....http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main- ... mping.html

Sent from my X98 Plus(A5C8) using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:25 pm

kneighbour wrote:
RonK wrote:You don't have to go very far at all. There are bush camps in D'Aguilar NP right on Brisbane's doorstep...
Well, I am way south of Brisbane, so not that close at all :wink:

I had a look at the government website for that park, and while it says that there are eight remote bush camps (and that you need a permit), it does not seem to actually prohibit wild camping. Are you suggesting that it is ok to camp at any location you like?

I have walked the England Creek fire trail many times. It rare to see another human there let alone a ranger. I don't see why you couldn't camp anywhere. But would you want to? The bush camps are probably in the best locations for camping.
RonK

Postby kneighbour » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 3:49 pm

RonK wrote:It rare to see another human there let alone a ranger. I don't see why you couldn't camp anywhere. But would you want to? The bush camps are probably in the best locations for camping.
I most certainly DO want to. One of the big reasons I go bushwalking (and then overnight camping) is to get away from civilization. Even when I go car camping, I try to find the most remote site I can - and if there are people there, I camp as far away from them as I can. My ideal is to camp somewhere where I know there is not a human presence for 100km.

I don't mind the fees at all - that is not the issue. After all, I don't think we are paying enough taxes. :lol: But I don't want to camp where there are other people. If these remote and specified camp sites are empty, then I don't have too much of a problem with it. But there is something special about being able to camp in a clearing on a whim - just because it looks good or has a nice view. I think we are too regulated as it is - and the whole point (for me) of bush walking is to get away from Big Brother and your other daily concerns.

It is good that you say that you rarely ever see any other walkers. That has been my experience on my day walks as well.In the last year I guess I would have seen maybe a dozen all told (we walk every weekend). Places like Plunkett Reserve or Nerang Forest we never see anyone at all.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tomh » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 4:01 pm

Yes, if you follow the rules it probably is a dying activity. I have yet to find an official ok to camp without approval - i.e. on the spur of the moment - in SE Queensland.
Two examples:
Main Range NP: From the NPRSR website "Non-designated sites in Main Range.
Camp sites located in areas of the park, away from existing designated sites, will be approved if considered appropriate. To discuss non-designated sites, phone 07 4666 1133. There are no facilities."

Sundown NP: From the NPRSR website under the heading 'Bush Camping.' Location: 'Throughout the park' the 'Bookings' para. reads "Advance bookings are required at all times for these sites. Self-registration camping does not apply. Book online or by phone."
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 7:30 pm

Mt Barney, Girraween & Lamington NP's also have some remote camps. ; )

Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kneighbour » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 8:03 pm

I have checked with QPWS and there are NO parks in Queensland that allow wild camping, not even Sundown. I have asked for clarification on Sundown, as their website does say it allows it.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 10:01 pm

There plenty of designated bush campsites that you can walk to and expect to see nobody. Most of the bush campsites allow max one group per night to stay there anyway?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nungulba » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 2:59 pm

ofuros wrote:Main Range NP too....http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main- ... mping.html

Dear "ofuros",

Yes, The Main Range would be an ideal choice: I recommend the campsite due west of Lizard Point (about 200-300m back from the Point). There is water obtainable by following down a gully in the vicinity of the camp.

I have vivid memories of an evening spent at Lizard Point, sometime around 1970, cooking and brewing tea on the edge, while watching the car lights of local farmers making their way home after a night at the Boonah Pub(?)

Happy days!\

P.S. Access, I assume, would be from Emu Creek, or following the old route up the range from Teviot Gap?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nungulba » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 3:29 pm

kneighbour wrote:I really like wild/bush/remote camping...you know – the kind that involves hiking through the bush, finding a nice patch of ground, and setting up camp for the night. I used to do this a bit as a kid, but it seems to be a dying activity.

The problem is camping is getting pretty heavily regulated by the government/local councils. I can understand why some areas are restricted, ie due to heavy usage perhaps. But I do a lot of day walks around Brisbane, and I can tell you, we would be lucky to see anyone on our walks. At best we might see a few motorcycle riders go through. But walkers? We are almost always totally alone. So heavy usage is not an excuse, at least in the areas we seem to be walking in.

I have been a car camper for years, but am starting to give that away for the very reason it is so hard to find a remote campsite. It is getting well nigh impossible. I am moving into bush walking and overnight camping as perhaps a better way to get that 'back to nature' experience.

I understand that one park allows this - Sundown. I have not been there yet, but most I most certainly will soon.

Are there any other areas around Brisbane that allow for this sort of camping?

If you do a "search" of the Tasmanian forum on this site you will find an interesting observation by a "local" walker down there to the effect that "bush-camping" degrades an iconic area. Now, I'm not suggesting that there are too many "iconic" areas in S.E.Q. but there definitely are places (e.g. the Barney Saddle) which we ought to be protecting from "bush campers".

The issue is a moot one, I concede, but it is definitely "food for thought" when the question of how best to enjoy these wild places is concerned?
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 8:47 pm

Regarding the lizard point camp - I was up that way on a day trip from Teviot gap a couple of weeks ago. It's a fairly easy walk in from Teviot Gap as the starting height is already quite high, maybe 3 hours walk with a heavy pack, although some short but steep/slippery parts on the way up to Superbus shoulder.

From Emu Creek it would be a much longer walk, either via Mt Superbus or Mt Steamer.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby newhue » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 7:56 am

kneighbour wrote:I have checked with QPWS and there are NO parks in Queensland that allow wild camping, not even Sundown. I have asked for clarification on Sundown, as their website does say it allows it.

Plenty of parks allow wild camping, often it's up to the ranger's way of thinking though that is getting more regulated these days. Parks like Girraween are constantly full. Firstly from being to small, but secondly from bushwalking clubs fill the numbers quickly and well in advance. Thirdly NP's figure their allowed numbers are enough, and perhaps so. Reason for enlarging NP's every where across the country.

Get yourself a few bushwalking guid books and a few typo maps. Read a little, follow the track description on the map, then start to look at ridges or possible paths to places of interest. I wouldn't bother asking, the answer will most likely be NO. It means more work for NP staff, and something out of the norm. They are set in stone with OH&S obligations for their staff's risk assessments. And being "only the environment" are low on the budget totem pole.

If you get somewhere and people are there, it's not hard to wander another 200m for everyones serenity.
If you happen to get found, or fined, then consider any fine as your contribution to National Parks. You pay the same money for remote bushwalking with limited access as you do for a maintained camp ground with walking tracks, mowing, toilets, bollards, fire rings and so on. So a fine if ever is no big deal.

Of course let someone know you plans, and be responsible. Take a PLB if you like. Walk with another. But asking for permission to do something creative, a little different, away from the formed normal routes most likely will result in NO from the authorities. Some will see this as irresponsible that puts others at risk. But for the amount of people bushwalking to the amount who need rescuing the rules are little skewed. Plenty of people do this already anyway. They give NP's the predictable common path in the guid book, than go do what they want.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you for that reply. It seems a sensible approach to the situation. I am still in the early days of my overnight camping, so am still going out to regulated/approved sites. For now that will do me just fine, so am not sure that the situation will arise too often anyway.

I am still fine tuning my equipment (not too happy with some current choices), and am considering a PLB. My biggest problem is actually finding the time to get out there.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby newhue » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 5:58 am

If you wish to fast track things, find a club and seek out their "hard core" through walkers. They will take you to remote places. You will get fit almost immediately, learn a few tricks, stream line the gear, and visit specie places you never thought possible.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 8:23 am

Well, an not sure about the 'get fit almost immediately' bit, but am looking into the club idea. I have been doing day walks for almost a year now (every Sunday) and a few overnights, and don't seem to be that much fitter than when I started. I also road cycle every Saturday (and have for 10+ years), and not much fitter because of that either. But I appreciate the sentiment and I am looking around for a club in my area.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 5:29 pm

Track down a copy of 'Bushpeoples guide to Bushwalking in Southeast Queensland'
& 'Secrets of the Scenic Rim' for more info on remote camps & off track walks.
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 13 Aug, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby newhue » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 6:26 pm

two good books ofuros.

hey kneighbour, actually the booking system it's better than ever, so I owe you an apology, and perhaps NP's. I just booked remote camping online for Girraween NP. We are just starting to venture from car camping back into bushwalking now the kids are getting to the right age and capability. But NP's don't ask what you do these days, no plan submitting, no capability questions, just hand over the loot and your all good. Weird hey.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland