Secrets of the scenic rim, Robert Rankin

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Secrets of the scenic rim, Robert Rankin

Postby Drazah » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 9:58 am

I was wondering if any one could tell me if the book Secrets of the Sceibc Rim by Robert Rankin has many different walks in it to the Take a Walk SEQ guidebook. I own the take a walk book and am just wondering if it's worth buying Secrets of the scenic rim also. I am mainly interested in more challenging walks these days so am looking for info on good remote, off trail, and routes that require a fair bit of scrambling. Does the Robert Rankin book include many walks of this nature?
Thanks
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Secrets of the scenic rim, Robert Rankin

Postby cams » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:03 am

Drazah wrote:I was wondering if any one could tell me if the book Secrets of the Sceibc Rim by Robert Rankin has many different walks in it to the Take a Walk SEQ guidebook. I own the take a walk book and am just wondering if it's worth buying Secrets of the scenic rim also. I am mainly interested in more challenging walks these days so am looking for info on good remote, off trail, and routes that require a fair bit of scrambling. Does the Robert Rankin book include many walks of this nature?
Thanks

Haven't looked at it in a while, but from what I recall, yes. IMO it is worth getting for any SE Qld bushwalker just to have as a record. It is a brilliant book with beautiful photography. It is definitely not just a repeat of take a walk. It has a lot more detail on Barney, and the scenic rim traverse for starters. The photo topo's of Barney alone are worth it. :) The story sections are great too.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drazah » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks cams, sounds like it's worth getting
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 3:43 pm

Invest & explore some more. ;)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:03 pm

Drazah wrote: I am mainly interested in more challenging walks these days so am looking for info on good remote, off trail, and routes that require a fair bit of scrambling. Does the Robert Rankin book include many walks of this nature?

If this is what you are after, then this book is definitely for you. As cams said, the glorious Barney spread aerial photos alone are worth it! The style is very different to the take a walk series. Unlike Take a walk, Secrets doesn't give you detailed route notes, but rather an idea of what routes are possible and how you would go about finding them and their relative difficulty in terms of the terrain/scrambling/exposure. You will probably also find reading the stories at the end of the book enriches your experiences in the rim.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drazah » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 7:34 am

Thanks champion_munch. I often find the trail notes in take a walk to be to specific for some walks as I end up searching for the specific way described in the book when more often than not it's a better option to just make your own way to the next objective. Sounds like secrets will be good
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland