Mt Barney for the casual Hiker?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Barney for the casual Hiker?

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:00 pm

I am new here and been reading up the routes for Mt Barney and been a bit terrified that all the tracks leading up to it is rather dangerous! Like you got to do some steep scrambling up steep cliffs and wondering if it is casual hiker friendly? I read that if your not experience then just do the hike for Mt Mooron as that is easier and more visual for its trails then Mt Barney where you can get lost?

So can anyone please help me to determine which route is the safest up Mt barney? With out any steep scrambling? I could use a walking stick so that is not an issue with me! I also got a GPS on phone and it works outdoor does not need internet and works well in places like Binna barra. So I can track where I am going and won't get lost! :)

I had a look at this link and let me know if I got it correct?

Are all these routes rank the easiest to climb?

--Easiest--
South Ridge
Gwyala Peak
Egan Creek/SE Ridge
Midget Ridge/North Ridge
Barney Gorge/Rocky Creek/Barrabool Ridges
Savages/Barney Spur/Logans/Mezzanine
Moonlight Slabs/NE Ridge
Eagles Ridge
Leaning Ridges
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Mt Barney for the casual Hiker?

Postby tomh » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 4:06 pm

Use the South Ridge route - the only one with a continuous well-defined track. The only bit of scrambling is about halfway up, a ~45 degree rocky slab that is short (~15m) and not difficult. Have you read this topic?
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 6:50 pm

yes I have thank you! :) And why i am worried that even the south ridge is very dangerous!

The Angle of that slab! is it dangerous to climb up it? Are you cllimbing up a rock face? While a drop cliff is just below? Is there a cliff below? Any pictures on the other side???
https://summitmax.wordpress.com/2015/09 ... ge-ascent/

Thank you for that post i have read it but need to know about that rock face as I cannot see what is beyond it!

And how about the other routes? I had a look at aussiebush walking and they say its hard too very hard so what does that mean? What is very hard about the other routes in mt barney?
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tomh » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm

another photo https://highandwideblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/c756b-p1060344_1050x1400.jpg
Barney is a high mountain for SEQ and there is no easy way to climb it - it is a long hard climb for a daywalk and if you still have concerns after all the information you already have - then give it a miss. If you haven't tried already, walking with a bushwalking club is good way to gain the skills and confidence needed to tackle difficult situations as you come across them.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you for that pic! But what does it look like facing outwards? Does not look very scary but it is 45 degree right that you need to craw up? Then do you need to crawl down the same way? And if not careful slip off? I would like to try it but thank you if anyone else can show more pictures? And is that the only cliff to climb up?

How about this?

Like this? Same route?
http://www.eventsafetyservices.com.au/w ... 21x380.png

How about this?

Mt Barney East Peak - Looks easy!

If the Rigid looks like this then its not hard at all and perhaps i can try out all the routes then? :)
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Hardest Route Leaning Ridge

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 9:46 pm

Logan Ridge
https://scrubtales.wordpress.com/tag/logans-ridge/

South ridge

:arrow: Short leaning Ridge Trail

My BAD! :( Not a good idea!

Information
Leaning Ridge is by far the hardest non protected route up Mt Barney. It consists of multiple steep rock slabs with exposure over cliffs where a slip could easily be fatal. The climbing is not hard; however, there is over an hour of combined exposure, making the route AWESOME! with stunning unobstructed views. The route starts at top of Barney Waterfall which can be accessed by a foot pad to the north of the waterfall. From there it is a hard slog up the ridge. There is only one detour with a traverse to the east accessing a less exposed ridge. The scrambling up the steep slabs are easily navigated by using pockets in the slabs caved by the water courses. However, these would be extremely slippery and dangerous when wet. I would NOT attempt this hike if there is a chance of rain or the top of the leaning peak is in cloud. Access off the back side of Leaning Peak is by a 25m abseil. The rope in the pics is 50m. There is multiple slings of varying decay around two small trees as a rap station. I would take enough tape to make a min 4ft sling to leave behind. This route can not be done without a rope and the knowledge to use it. We hiked down north ridge back to Yellowpinch with a car shuffle back to the lower portals car park. This route started a lower portals as I forgot to switch my GPS on at the Lower Portals car park. Access to Barney Waterfall can be made by rock hopping up Barney Ck. However, following the western ridge line above Barney Ck offers good views of leaning ridge prior to the hike. This route is off track but not hard. I would recommend following the my GPX route of Barney Waterfall to access the start of leaning ridge, it is easier and a more direct route. Personally I would not take anyone on this hike who has not had at least some experience in rock climbing and abseiling.

Still want to go???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: No way! :oops: But Wait I see hope!! :o WOW! Another girl is attempting the Climb! That must mean I should Climb too! I must learn the basic skill and then attempt it! :D
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:02 am

Shrike, as tomh has already mentioned... if you are unsure at this stage just hit up Mt Maroon first to get a feel for the type of terrain you're likely to encounter in the western Rim (if you're not familiar with the Mt Barney region, it's very different to the flat, rainforest tracks at Binna Burra). Mt Maroon is awesome and you won't be disappointed. If you find Maroon difficult then give Barney a miss. If you find Maroon straight-forward then give the South Ridge of Mt Barney a go. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time... and even better if you go with someone who's been up the mountain before.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 12:48 pm

Scrambling and climbing are acquired skills. You don't want to start on something like Barney. If you're unsure, find either a bushwalking club with people who can teach you the basics, or even try a formal course.

South Ridge is neither hard nor dangerous - if you're a competent scrambler and it's dry.
Just because other women have climbed the more 'interesting' doesn't mean you have to - bushwalking isn't a competition.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:12 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Shrike, as tomh has already mentioned... if you are unsure at this stage just hit up Mt Maroon first to get a feel for the type of terrain you're likely to encounter in the western Rim (if you're not familiar with the Mt Barney region, it's very different to the flat, rainforest tracks at Binna Burra). Mt Maroon is awesome and you won't be disappointed. If you find Maroon difficult then give Barney a miss. If you find Maroon straight-forward then give the South Ridge of Mt Barney a go. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time... and even better if you go with someone who's been up the mountain before.

Thank you Champion :D It seem Mt barney on SE ridge seem pretty good! The 45 degree slab does not seem very scary at all and it should be easy! :) You know know that they are videos off the track? :idea: So much better now and others can come here and it will help them decide! :) Its what I've been looking for that help so much and BIG Thank you to those guys and girls who posted it up on youtube! But thank you for your suggestion of doing the easy ones first before attempting South East Ridge.

Mt Barney South East Ridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6P90Jfwv-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIhLKBdHQI

This is a really good Drone video and shows Tree Marker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeqJOYmmmKg

Mt Barney Logan Ridge This looks Scary and very Hard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIBLMMwy1Ko

https://www.aussiebushwalking.com/qld/m ... -via-gorge
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:17 pm

north-north-west wrote:Scrambling and climbing are acquired skills. You don't want to start on something like Barney. If you're unsure, find either a bushwalking club with people who can teach you the basics, or even try a formal course.

South Ridge is neither hard nor dangerous - if you're a competent scrambler and it's dry.
Just because other women have climbed the more 'interesting' doesn't mean you have to - bushwalking isn't a competition.

it just inspiring to see other women hike these routes! :D And who says its not a challenge you set yourself goals and see if you can do better! :) I invite you to this! :D
http://www.52hikechallenge.com/

NEVER ever did I imagine pushing myself to such extreme limits, but I thank GOD literally for my protection and giving me the strength to endure. How the 52 hike challenge has changed my life, well gosh it's even hard to put it into words!!! As I am very much grateful for the vision that was pioneered by Karla and Phil. I am forever changed!!! The mountains have taught me so much about myself. I have grown so much spiritually and physically. I will end this with YOU too can DO IT!! Don't be intimidated go out and EXPLORE you will not regret it! It will be LIFE changing!

Perhaps I should go out and see if can climb Mt Barney and if its too hard I can always turn back and try again as its not like i am going along routes where you need to abseil or climb vertically. :) Just don't be intimidated and know your limitations. :)
Last edited by Shrike-Thrushes on Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:17 pm

Delete please!
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 3:20 pm

Shrike-Thrushes wrote:It just inspiring to see other women hike these routes! :D And who says its not a challenge you set yourself goals and see if you can do better! :) I invite you to this! :D

a) Been there done that.
b) I don't 'hike', I bushwalk.
c) There's virtually nothing women haven't done, so be careful choosing your inspirations. I, for instance, am not a good choice.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Shrike-Thrushes » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Shrike-Thrushes wrote:It just inspiring to see other women hike these routes! :D And who says its not a challenge you set yourself goals and see if you can do better! :) I invite you to this! :D

a) Been there done that.
b) I don't 'hike', I bushwalk.
c) There's virtually nothing women haven't done, so be careful choosing your inspirations. I, for instance, am not a good choice.

Yes we must be careful who we follow and if you want a more detail philosophical I can PM you? But just be happy for me and other who see other girls climb and inspired to do the same! And who says you are not a good choice? A little boy seeing you climb? A drug addict having his life change cause he notice your videos and blogs and got his life sorted out! And you are saying you are a bad choice to follow in terms of rock climbing?

They don't have to follow you every thing you do in Climbing just that they saw you climb and do many different things and to them that is very rewarding! And they want to be the same! You could then instruct them to do things better then what you did but I would not exclude you completely. I got interested in Climbing from seeing others and they might have seriously bad background, how would I know? I got interested from observing wildlife so my inspiration to climb is different to yours so you got to remember that too! :) And to me when i see other women climb that is enough for me for inspiration. If i want more of better inspiration to follow and they become mentors then your advice is true I got to pick the correct role model or else I might get into trouble myself! :) But guys can be good role models too just that you don't know until you ask if you then get serious in bushwalking or Climbing.

Are they any guys here that are good role models in bushwalking? Is this what you were talking about? So you don't do dangerous things that can be harmful?

Anyway I got a question is there any easier climb you can do to test to see if you can walk all the way up a Mt like Flinders? See how long your legs can last climbing steep heights?
Shrike-Thrushes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 9:51 pm

Mt Coot-tha
Mt Gravatt
Both of these city peaks have tracks to
the top...& a cafe if you feel like some nibbles
& fluids while taking in the view. ;)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 11:55 am

Shrike-Thrushes wrote:Is this what you were talking about? So you don't do dangerous things that can be harmful?

What I'm saying is that I'm stark staring bonkers, so my doing something (or the way I do something) is not exactly a trustworthy example.
Of course I have done potentially dangerous things - martial arts, technical diving (including deep caves and wrecks), solo bushwalking, etc etc etc. It's just that I've never believed in measuring myself against others, regardless of their gender, and have difficulty understanding why anyone does.

Role model, schmole model. If something interests me, I try to do it. If I succeed, that's great. If I don't, well, at least I gave it a go. Doesn't matter who may have done it in the past.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:16 am

Shrike, definitely try Maroon first. Barney (and to a lesser extent Maroon) has a significant ascent / descent component that will challenge your fitness much differently to flat tracks like at Binna Burra - think 1000m up and down in a day if you summit Barney.

Also, the path between Barney saddle and the East Peak is often overgrown and easy to get off track. I am a smartphone GPS user too and I can say from repeated experience that they are not infallible in mountainous terrain.

There is nothing technically challenging in the scrambles on South Ridge, but don't underestimate the effects of fatigue, sense of exposure or poor weather. With South-East ridge and the other harder routes the scrambling does get more difficult and you will definitely feel like you are somewhere exposed at times.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland