Stinson Wreck

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Stinson Wreck

Postby gregsmith » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:37 pm

In 1973, when a member of a school air force cadet group, we did a three day walk from Christmas Creek to the Numinbah Valley. We walked the stretcher trail, Stinson wreck, Echo Point, Binnaburra and Numinbah Valley. Air force helicopters dropped us off into the Christmas Creek valley and we walked back to our camp near Egg Rock. The stretcher trail was heavily "blazed" but easy to follow. The Stinson wreck site was depleted but discernable. I recall a fellow walker taking a piece of the wreck as a souvenir and subsequently losing the piece on the walk. Such a selfish waste!
The walk was hard but I note that the sections these days are not in good condition. This is a pity as I have always recalled this walk as a great challenge and one I hope to repeat one day.
I gather our experience was unique and not often replicated by inexperienced walkers these days. Cadets have fallen from favour these days but they did challenge and teach great resilience and skills. I wonder what offers such challenges to the youth of today?
I will always dream of doing this walk again and hope to organize my two kids to accompany me. (They are very fit and capable - I hope I could manage it myself!)
Greg Smith
gregsmith
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Stinson Wreck

Postby Nungulba » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:12 pm

gregsmith wrote:In 1973, when a member of a school air force cadet group, we did a three day walk from Christmas Creek to the Numinbah Valley. We walked the stretcher trail, Stinson wreck, Echo Point, Binnaburra and Numinbah Valley. Air force helicopters dropped us off into the Christmas Creek valley and we walked back to our camp near Egg Rock. The stretcher trail was heavily "blazed" but easy to follow. The Stinson wreck site was depleted but discernable. I recall a fellow walker taking a piece of the wreck as a souvenir and subsequently losing the piece on the walk. Such a selfish waste!
The walk was hard but I note that the sections these days are not in good condition. This is a pity as I have always recalled this walk as a great challenge and one I hope to repeat one day.
I gather our experience was unique and not often replicated by inexperienced walkers these days. Cadets have fallen from favour these days but they did challenge and teach great resilience and skills. I wonder what offers such challenges to the youth of today?
I will always dream of doing this walk again and hope to organize my two kids to accompany me. (They are very fit and capable - I hope I could manage it myself!)
Greg Smith

Hard to believe that it's the 80th anniversary of the Stinson crash this year!
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland