bundaberg area bush walking

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

bundaberg area bush walking

Postby mickdobesch » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 1:52 pm

looking for bush walking places within the Bundaberg area - preferably not mentioned by tourist information brochures as I have been to all (I think)? all suggestions welcome!
mickdobesch
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: bundaberg area bush walking

Postby bigkev » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi mickdobesch, my inlaws live near Bundy so I've spent a bit of time up there.

Last year I decided to head out to Biggenden and check out Mt Walsh NP, I did a couple of posts on my blog if you want to check out what things are like on the ground.

The first post is about the climb up The Bluff http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... ional.html

The second post is about an easy stroll called the Rock Pool Walk, a nice one if you want to enjoy a swim as well http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... ional.html

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Fifimeow77 » Tue 18 Jul, 2017 11:07 pm

Good info Kevin.
I love the Utopia rock pools and they are definitely worth the day trip to visit :)
Fifimeow77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bigkev » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 6:37 pm

Fifimeow77 wrote:Good info Kevin.
I love the Utopia rock pools and they are definitely worth the day trip to visit :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts Fifi, the rock pools are a very nice little oasis aren't they. I'll get back with my partner one day for a longer visit I think.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby owlrigh » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 7:48 am

If you're heading out to Mt Walsh, there's also Mt Woowoonga (640m in 1.6km) which is on the road from Childers to Biggenden, about 5min from Biggenden. Class 4 walk - picnic area there, no facilities, no camping. Good dirt road when the sealed road stops. At the top you can climb on the rocks to get a better view, just be careful about it as it's a sheer drop down. It's pretty unforgiving straight up/straight down track in places ... did it in about 1h45m return, it's suggested 4hrs.

Also in the Biggenden area is the Coalstoun Lakes national park -- I didn't do the walk (4.4km, grade 4) there when I was out there, but it was always on my list. You could easily stay in that general area a weekend walking.

20776369_10154878795315665_2719968778488546791_o.jpg
owlrigh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby bigkev » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 5:59 pm

owlrigh wrote:If you're heading out to Mt Walsh, there's also Mt Woowoonga (640m in 1.6km) which is on the road from Childers to Biggenden, about 5min from Biggenden. Class 4 walk - picnic area there, no facilities, no camping. Good dirt road when the sealed road stops. At the top you can climb on the rocks to get a better view, just be careful about it as it's a sheer drop down. It's pretty unforgiving straight up/straight down track in places ... did it in about 1h45m return, it's suggested 4hrs.

Also in the Biggenden area is the Coalstoun Lakes national park -- I didn't do the walk (4.4km, grade 4) there when I was out there, but it was always on my list. You could easily stay in that general area a weekend walking.

20776369_10154878795315665_2719968778488546791_o.jpg

Thanks for the info, I'll check these spots out next time I'm up there :D
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland