Wallaman Falls

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wallaman Falls

Postby BerryBoy » Sat 13 May, 2017 1:27 pm

Has anyone seen the elusive Platypus at Wallaman Falls and where specifically was it spotted? I recently stayed overnight in the campground and quietly ventured along the Banggurru walk on both dusk and dawn hoping to spot one, but failed. Some more specific detail on where other people have viewed these creatures would be useful for when I visit again.
BerryBoy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Wallaman Falls

Postby nq111 » Mon 15 May, 2017 7:51 pm

I've seen quite a few platypus in a range of places but never when I am looking for them (other than in Tassie - can't miss the big suckers in Lake Pedder :)).

They're around in most of the upland streams - Hidden Valley is known for them and I have seen them above Blencoe Falls too. Time near the water counts most me thinks.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Wallaman Falls

Postby Scinap » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 7:50 pm

I was up there last week and saw two, very easily. We were lucky, but it was a perfect day for it. First one was a hundred metres so from the car park. There is a gap in the trees that allows you to see down to the creek. The platypus disappeared on the far side of the bank under a few overhanging trees. The second was just on the way down from the car park to the trail, as soon as the paved surface ends, you can see a bit of a path beaten through the weeds. There are a few spots down there where you can scramble down to the bank.

Hope this helps, but it's the first time I've seen them there myself. Good luck.
Scinap
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Queensland