Lizard Point

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lizard Point

Postby Drazah » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm planning on heading out to southern main range next weekend with a plan to hike to lizard point from teviot gap. As I've never been up this side of the range I'm just wondering what to expect. Is there a foot pad running the whole way or will there be substantial off track walking. I assume there is a pretty well worn pad up to Superbus at least. If there is a fair bit of off track walking with no foot pad what is the navigation like. It sounds like it's rainforest up there which will make navigation using landmarks quite difficult.
Thanks
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lizard Point

Postby tomh » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 7:22 am

You are correct to say it's rainforest up there making navigation using landmarks quite difficult - I would add impossible most of the time. It is too easy to select the wrong ridge when heading to Superbus after the initial climb up from Teviot as the top area gradients are small and indistinct. Any pad is often difficult to find as the rampant waist-high vegetation keeps it hidden. You need to be experienced and competent in hand-held navigation as there will be plenty of times when that is all you can use.

Edit 1pm Sun 4th - have been told Brisbane Bushwalkers (BBW) have a walk to Lincoln bomber wreck (Superbus) from the Teviot side next Sat 10th
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drazah » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks Tom,
So I take it from your post not to expect any foot pad either up to superbus shoulder or to lizard point?
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tomh » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 12:15 pm

There is a foot pad but it can be difficult to see or find in places due to vegetation. Sometimes the surrounding ground under the vegetation has the same appearance as a foot pad. The climb from Teviot to the saddle is straight up and the route easy to see; at the saddle the vegetation increases - Superbus is to the left and Lizard to the right. The pad to Lizard is easier to follow, you come out of the rainforest earlier. For Superbus you stay in the rainforest and use your navigation tools. At all times false foot pads (due to mistakes made by others) can lead to errors so keep a check on your navigation.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi Drazah,

I was up that way about a year ago and thought the "footpad" was actually fairly distinct, as far as off-track walks go. Really depends on your experience to say whether you will find it easy to stay on track or not, as tomh suggests. All in rainforest so there are no landmarks you can use as a guide for where to go, compass is definitely needed.

It can be tricky to stay on the ridge from Teviot Brook up to the Superbus shoulder, as the ridge is very broad in this area. I found and lost the footpad from time to time but you just need to keep heading in the same direction. At the shoulder the track to Superbus summit is slightly less distinct, and there are a couple of 'goat tracks' close to the actual summit. From Superbus shoulder to Lizard Point the footpad is quite obvious (it was tagged with pink ribbons most of the way up Mt Roberts a year ago) and it's easier to keep on top of the ridge. From Mt Roberts to Lizard Point you are basically hugging the escarpment.

Some pictures from the trip: http://sirkingchampionmunch.blogspot.co ... point.html

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drazah » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks for the info and pictures Munch. The track conditions sound about what I was expecting.
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland