Lost hikers on The Steamers.

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lost hikers on The Steamers.

Postby Benny_Boy83 » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi hope this is in the right spot.

Myself and a group of mates Hiked up superb yesterday. We got back to our car by 6pm and proceeded to head off. I was diving and should have taken a moment to pause before crossing a muddy patch in the road and subsequently my car (X -Trail) bottom out. After trying unsuccessfully to get upboigged, two of our team walked the 9 km to a local farm house clad found someone who was able to give us a hand. I've never been so thankful to see a complete stranger when he arrived with his use and tow chain. The mud was uber sticky and i could feel it gripping the car as the tyres spun in the slush. Thankfully he got us unstuck and we drove on unhindered.

Until a police car waived us down.
His first question was "are you the guys that got stuck?" "We got stuck in the road, Yes"
I'm a bit surprised at this as we had no reception to even let anyone know what had happened.
He then asks where we just came from.
"Mt Superbus" we replied
"Did you see anyone else?" the officer asked We got a report that two men are stuck around the steamers. We said we had see two men, but they were kitted out for overnight camping and were headed north of Superbus summit. We had talked with the other hikers and quickly concluded that these were not the men the officer was looking for. We were able to confirm the location of a ute pulled over to the side of the road with no one near by. It wasn't near any of the know entrances to the Steamers. So we assumed that the two must be connected.

It was 8pm by the time we finished the conversation and the temperature was already down to 9 degrees.

The reason i post the story is because I found this report today.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and ... 2c7d17.htm

Very thankful they found them alive.
Benny_Boy83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lost hikers on The Steamers.

Postby findbuddha » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 7:23 am

Myself and a mate were up there Sunday/Monday, camping at Lizard Point South. We heard the rescue chopper flying around for quite a while on Monday, and jokingly wondered if we'd accidentally set off our beacon! Good to hear the missing hikers were found safely.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 11:25 am

So how did Google Map misguide them? Couldn't work out.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rowdy79 » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 1:23 pm

Very lucky, it must have been so cold up there.
My mates and I were coming back from Lizard point on saturday, the temperature dropped so fast once the sun went down
rowdy79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 05 Jul, 2017 2:52 pm

GPSGuided wrote:So how did Google Map misguide them? Couldn't work out.

I've found Google Maps pretty good so long as I remember to cache the map but I have had my phone battery drain out a few times. Thinking I might start taking a hard copy map and a compass even on a day walk, unless I know the area well.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland