Mezzanine ridge

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mezzanine ridge

Postby gbagua » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:11 pm

I'll be heading to this Barney route soon and was wondering if there is any landmark to look for in order to locate the exact starting point because it's my first ascent to this ridge. Is it pretty close to SE?

Cheers!
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Mezzanine ridge

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi gbagua,

Haven't done Mezzanine ridge before, but I believe it shoots off the South Ridge track as it crosses the ridge into rainforest not too long after leaving the Cronan Creek area. Technically the South Ridge climb starts on Mezzanine Ridge.

I'm assuming you've done a few ascents of Barney already? It's meant to be a fair bit hairier than SE, so you should be pretty competent scrambler.

Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 6:54 pm

Champion_Munch wrote: I believe it shoots off the South Ridge track...

Hey, yes I have done several ridges there.

But from where exactly!? :)
gbagua

Postby tomh » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 7:53 am

There is no easy to describe landmark. After the Cronan Creek turnoff South Ridge track climbs and at one point, just before reaching South Ridge proper, the track levels out and contours between two small gullies. Mezzanine is the ridge between those gullies so climb up from the track there and stay on the top of the ridge. It is a real razor ridge in parts and at one point you need to lay-back across a one meter ^ section. Further up you have to climb down steeply from the ridge into a wooded gully. At the top of mezzanine there is a mixture of vegetation-filled gullies and ridges running in all directions and although not technical the route across to East peak is not obvious (unless a footpad has developed since I was there). Wikiloc has two entries for the route with useful photos.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks! I think I got it, head to the Tourist's Ridge :D, and when it starts turning (it becomes South R.) keep going because one is actually on Mezzanine. I'll be coming down Logan's for a bit of added fun. ;)
gbagua

Return to Queensland