Camping & short hikes (with toddler) Daintree - ideas?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping & short hikes (with toddler) Daintree - ideas?

Postby emma_melbourne » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 9:01 am

I am wanting some local knowledge and ideas for camping and short walks around Cairns / Port Douglas / Daintree Rain Forest area.

I have a toddler who is currently 18 months old, and weighs about 11 kg.

I have got organized so that we have a really good suitcase set-up, with a strong geodesic tent which fits her portacot and my sleeping mat, compressible down quilts - incl lightweight / 10 degree for warm weather, Mont batwing tarp and poles, plus all our gear incl nappies, insect repellant, sunscreen, first aid, wet weather gear etc. I've got an infant carrier with 36 L capacity to take some day hike items.

It'll just be the two of us. My plan was to hire a rental car from Cairns airport and drive up.

What I would love is to get some advice as to where might be a good place to camp, and go for walks. I'd also enjoy to spend some time close to ammenities including a local cafe, so I don't have to cook all the meals - we are on holiday after all, so it would be nice to unburden myself of some Mumma duties.

Both of us are fair skinned, so I prefer to stay in areas which are not too exposed to the sun. (I have got a UV protectant tent, and tarp etc.)

The other thing I'm slightly concerned about is all the fun creatures you have up there. (I'm a kiwi and we don't have really anything too dangerous in NZ.) Such as...snakes, crocs, deadly spiders, biting ants...anything I should be on the lookout for.

So local advice would be much appreciated!

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Camping & short hikes (with toddler) Daintree - ideas?

Postby digbyg » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:29 am

Your best bet is probably Cape Trib Camping, it is on the beach near Cape Tribulation. Waterhole in creek next to Masons shop/cafe about 500m south of the campground. Dubiji picnic area with 1 km walking track about 1 km north of campground. They have a website for more info.
There's no-where to free camp north of the Daintree river, but there are a few other commercial campgrounds.
See also http://www.destinationdaintree.com/ for other options.
Crocs are the main concern on or near beaches, especially with a toddler. Stay near other people as their ambush style doesn't work as well.
Rainforest has very few other dangerous beasties, just be aware that there are large spiders and snakes, but most are harmless.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Camping & short hikes (with toddler) Daintree - ideas?

Postby ricrunner » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:38 am

My wife and I camped at Cape Tribulation in 1984 and we stayed for a month in July. It was awesome. It was very warm, but the rainforest cover was reasonably thick, which was good for my wife as she has fair skin. The walks were enjoyable, and we were getting water at many of the clean and clear( at that time) creeks that crossed the local road in. You have to be wary of crocs when filling up water containers, ie: one filling and one keeping an eye out. It may not be a problem now as I believe you can buy water and supplies at the many cafes that are there now. The only thing I would be wary of really (crocs) is swimming on the beaches, we kept to shallow and clear water, and if you go in the spring and summer months, the stingers are extremely bad. For camping in the camping areas we had problems with bush rats, I don't know if that is a problem now, but it was a problem for us. Just check out these possible problems with QLD National Parks Service before you go. Cheers and have a great holiday.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland