Sunshine Coast Great Walk vs Conondale Great Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sunshine Coast Great Walk vs Conondale Great Walk

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 9:27 am

Hi all,

I have 4 days off in early May and intend to do either the Sunshine Coast GW or the Conondale GW. There are plenty of threads here with people discussing the merits of either, but I was hoping someone who has completed both walks could weigh in and say which of the two they would recommend?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Sunshine Coast Great Walk vs Conondale Great Walk

Postby hunsta » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 5:42 pm

Gday Munch. Ive done both. And both are equally good as each other. However the one winning factor for the Conondale Range walk, is that it is a loop. Starting at the Brooloumba day use area it returns to the same spot. There is a loop section on the SGW, but is only a 22km section depending on which end you start. There should be good water in all the walkers camps. And the water at the Artist cascade and Peters creek is very clean. Having done Conondale on many occasions it would be my pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJDHiEg9PE&t=23s
Cheers
Craig
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks Craig! We have been leaning towards Conondale, good to hear some advice from someone who's done them both a few times.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 2:13 pm

Can anyone comment on water availability on both hikes? I know all campsites have tank water, but how easy is it to collect water on the track?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lseries92 » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 6:36 pm

I did the Conondale walk at the end of September last year during a hot dry spell. If you walk in a clockwise direction there are opportunities for water at the Artist Cascades and Boloumba Falls on day 1 but day 2 you are walking up to a high point so there is nothing until you reach the walkers camp at Tallowwood. The tank was running low when I was there but Peter's Falls is less than a couple of clicks away past the walkers camp where you can top up. On day three on the way to Summer Falls, you pass the turn off to Peter's Falls (we stopped again to top up here) and you do get down to the creek a few times closer to Summer Falls but it was mostly a series of pools so water was collected at Summer Falls (both from above the falls and the tank at the walkers camp). I can not recall many places to collect water along the way on the last day from Summer Falls back to the entrance but I was carrying 3L (in over 30 degree temps) and I had plenty to spare even though we diverted up to the firetower on the way.

For the Sunshine Coast walk, I did this a couple of weeks ago. There are a number of opportunities to collect water as you regularly pass near/through walkers camps as well as creeks and waterfalls (mainly as you walk up Gheerulla Creek/Falls, at Baxter Creek Falls etc). There is even the opportunity to drop into a coffee shop just before the road entrance to Kondalilla Falls if that takes your fancy. There is a bit of road walking involved which is never appealing but you also get to walk past some of the houses that sell local produce along the way (there was the opportunity to buy some tamarinds which was nice after a couple of days walking).
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hunsta » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm

Yep everything that Iseries92 said. Id still go with Conondale.. There should be plenty of water in all the creeks. And even though I have drank the creek water without filtering. I always carry my Sawyer Squeeze just in case. Have a great walk.
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland