Desktop version
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Long Leaning Ridge

Tue 04 Sep, 2018 1:42 pm

I read somewhere online that this ridge can be done without abseiling Leaning Peak. But what happens is that instead of joining Short Leaning Ridge at the saddle one must veer off westwards and start a descend into Barney Gorge. Currently BG is in a mess due to a large landslide in the upper section. Anyway has anyone done this variation of Long Leaning?

Re: Long Leaning Ridge

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 4:59 pm

I have done both SLR and BG recently and dropping down the gorge from the chockstone it would be a 200/250m very steep descent in extreme heavy scrub and you would bypass the nasty landslide at the gorge dogleg (further dowstream). I personally think is doable if you are keen and experienced on that sort of terrain, but would be very slow to get back to the car, assuming you are doing this as a day bushwalk. A rope may be still needed to get to the gorge if you accidentally come down one of the many cliff sections. I personally think abseiling the spicy sections of SLR could be the fastest way back to Barney creek.

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:59 pm

Maybe you can get a bit of a visual from these.
DSCN9993.jpgcopy_1024.jpg

DSCN9989.jpgcopy_1024.jpg
Midget ridge to Leaning Pk

DSCN9981_1024.JPG
From Midget ridge, just below Bippo Pk

Here's a link to a bigger version of the photo
https://flic.kr/p/MHcVj8
Last edited by Aardvark on Fri 21 Dec, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 9:13 pm

Looking at the pictures, I would think that rope/harness/belay device/prusik cord/helmet are mandatory for a safe descent to the gorge. Too many near vertical slabby sections.

Mon 24 Dec, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks. LLR is the only hard ridge I got left to do. I won't try the escape route. It looks like a bush-bash from hell on steep terrain. :) Probably something that would leave your legs with free 'tattoos.' :twisted:

Fri 28 Dec, 2018 9:03 am

I haven't done LLR. I hope you would post here a trip report if you can.

Mon 31 Dec, 2018 12:09 pm

Indeed! ;)

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 7:15 am

Any details about the difficulty of a Rum Jungle descent via Barney Gorge given the landslide. I’ve not done Barney Gorge before and it’s a route I was planning to do in a few weeks. Up Logan’s down the Gorge. But I’ve read a couple of comments online of a significant landslide in the Gorge in early 2018 as has been mentioned in this thread. Any comments appreciated.

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 8:50 am

Any details about the difficulty of a Rum Jungle descent via Barney Gorge given the landslide. I’ve not done Barney Gorge before and it’s a route I was planning to do in a few weeks. Up Logan’s down the Gorge. But I’ve read a couple of comments online of a significant landslide in the Gorge in early 2018 as has been mentioned in this thread. Any comments appreciated.

Hard and scary. The steep slabs are scattered with precarious boulders the size of fridges, just waiting to come down. If you are comfortable rockclimbing, the eastern part of the gorge offers cleaner and more protected going but you'll need to negotiate the dogleg of the gorge and that is basically scrambling up the landslide dirt, trying to avoid dislodging boulders. That was last year so things may have stabilized now, but I found this section the hardest to climb on any Barney routes so far, given the landslide. But the rest of the route is pleasant and very scenic. If you're looking for an alternative, I suggest Rocky creek from East-North peak saddle.

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks CBee,
we won’t take the Gorge then. Up Logan’s, East Peak, Rum Jungle, West Peak now looking for an interesting descent that doesn’t require ropes.
Open to suggestions and happy to do a good 12 hour day.

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 11:09 am

Rocky creek is similar to Barney Gorge but way shorter. No ropes required as long is not wet. Then at the end you can cross right and rejoin Logan's ridge trail to Yellowpinch. For a longer day you can descend West peak via Savages. But looks like lower down, scrub and lantana are nasty. Hopefully with time, the gorge will be stabilized and restored again.

Fri 11 Jan, 2019 5:52 pm

Savages ridge is good all the way. It's off track, but the lantanna is not an issue if you're on the right route. The descent is marginally more difficult than the ascent. The chimney just below West Pk is easier with a rope if not so confident. Can still be done without it. You need to take the right path a short way down from Savages Peak. There is a slight turn to the left (east). You should have no difficulty doing Logans and Savages within 12 hrs.

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 2:44 pm

Not a problem at all going up Barney gorge. I know several people who just hiked the gorge (in the past 3 months) and zero issues. They were not climbers, purely hikers.

I was going to head up alone today but it is still too humid for my liking. Will wait a little bit for drier conditions.

Sun 24 Mar, 2019 4:19 pm

When around in May 2002 there was a double anchor off several *trees left that seemed very solid. 50 m of rope was enough to abseil down to North Peak. In May 2014 I was here again and found that the belay points are now bolted and a 60m rope is required as the anchor is further back than the tree belay point used to be. (https://sites.google.com/site/halwalks/ ... barney#slr)

To the author if he happens to read the following comment:

Fortunately climbers/the ACAQ have setup the correct anchor point because rappelling is in fact a dangerous activity, WHICH CAN OBJECTIVELY BE ADDRESSED BY:

So, how do we avoid screwing up the system?

1. Checklists and inspections.

2.You need a standard procedure that you do in full every single time you rappel.

3. If this checklist encompasses best modern practices, there is no reason the system should ever be messed up.

How Dangerous Is Rappelling?

[b]What was in place before the proper installation of two bolts with rap rings was an utter and dangerous mess. The various anchors used were not *trees but exposed bush roots to which a tangled mess of webbing was attached. Further reading:

Is It Safe To Rappel Off A Tree?

Lucklly no one got hurt!

Please refer to the following resources:

1. Rappel Anchors: A few thoughts
2. Jive-Ass Anchors (the author demonstrates with visual examples the 'Da Hood' type of mentality that still is so prevalent today in building climbing/rappel anchors.

Thu 06 Jun, 2019 1:21 pm

Done. Love this ridge and the short version.

The razorback is by far the hardest piece of hike-climb in the entire State and Australia too. Very tricky and exposed. One slip and say goodbye.

You can find the log on Wikiloc.

Have fun! ;)
Post a reply