Scenic Rim Trail – Thornton to Spicers

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Scenic Rim Trail – Thornton to Spicers

Postby dkselw » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 12:15 pm

Scenic Rim Trail – Thornton Trailhead to Spicers Canopy Nature Refuge Development Proposal and Environmental Management Plan

Has anyone been following this?
You can see the proposal at this website http://epbcnotices.environment.gov.au/referralslist/ and enter the referal number 2016/7847

The latest entry 20/12/2018 says "Final recommendation report completed", but no further details that I can find.
Last edited by dkselw on Tue 25 Dec, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkselw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Scenic Rim Trail – Thornton to Spicers

Postby Aardvark » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 5:50 pm

I did a search on the Spicers Canopy Nature Refuge Development proposal and there is a 115 page report.
It is a project of the Turner family of Gainsdale P/L
Eye opening to say the least. I regularly undertake walking all along there. It does concern me to have graded track between Sylvesters L/o and Bare Rock. It should concern all those people in my past who have so vehemently resisted suggestions for a constructed trail along the Scenic Rim. If this happens it will only be a matter of time before southern Main Range is in the firing line.
It's a sign of the times. Population ever increasing. More push for 'Great Walks'. I really doubt there is the economic value in these great walks. This seems to be about making it suitable for the Spicers retreat (that very expensive gastronomic experience appx $1500 a night, just west of West Spicers Pk ) to add to their guests experiences. No doubt they will benefit most. They would also likely think no one much travels between Sylvesters L/o and Bare Rock. It is one of only a few areas in SEQ to get an elevated off track rainforest wilderness experience.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Scenic Rim Trail – Thornton to Spicers

Postby dkselw » Tue 25 Dec, 2018 10:16 pm

You can see some maps here https://spicersretreats.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2016-7847-EPBC-Response-Sep-2017-03-Annex-2-part-1_OPT.pdf
The full development proposal here https://spicersretreats.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/003-2016-7847-Referral-Attach2-DPEMP.pdf
The rest of the proposal documents are available at the link I gave in the first post. I however can't find any details of what "Final recommendation report completed" means, there are no attachments for that entry.
dkselw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland