Desktop version
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Current water situation on Barney

Thu 03 Oct, 2019 3:30 pm

I was wondering is anyone has been recently up at rum jungle and noticed if the creek is running or I should take up extra water for an overnighter.
Thanks.

Re: Current water situation on Barney

Wed 09 Oct, 2019 10:57 pm

Dry as a dust bowl. Not sure about the rum jungle but personally I would take as much as can.

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 7:56 pm

Agreed. I was mooching around on the SER today (though I didn't get as far as RJ) and the whole place is scarily, tinder dry. The Logan River crossing at the start of that track is absolutely empty; no water at all. There was a single puddle at the entrance to the carpark but that was it. Even six months ago it was an ankle deep wade but that's all petered out. :cry:

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 8:40 pm

Might change, at least temporarily, after the rain forecast for this weekend. But then again, smallish falls will run away and soak in too quickly to leave water lying around I suppose.

I was going to go for a wander in the Green Mountains section given the closures and dryness around, but might postpone to a drier weekend. Queensland ups and downs :?

Thu 10 Oct, 2019 9:13 pm

I was up there last week and it was nice; glad I made the trip. It rained a little bit but the tree cover kept enough of it off that I didn't need the raincoat.
Queensland ups and downs

For sure. The West Canungra Creek Cct is open for a change so you could always do that before the next cyclone closes it for another 5 years... :roll:

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 8:19 am

The falls on West Canungra/Toolona are still flowing however they are getting less. The rainforest feels dry and tired, it needs a water boost!

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 8:14 pm

dalehikes wrote:The falls on West Canungra/Toolona are still flowing however they are getting less. The rainforest feels dry and tired, it needs a water boost!

Not wanting to take the thread further down this tangent, but I went and did West Canungra last weekend after the rain on Saturday, dalehikes. Still flowing as you say, and the bit of rain had freshened things up a little in the forest. Lovely track, might go back and do Stairway Falls this weekend. :D

Thu 17 Oct, 2019 7:15 am

coimon wrote:Still flowing as you say, and the bit of rain had freshened things up a little in the forest. Lovely track, might go back and do Stairway Falls this weekend. :D

Ah thats good to hear, Lamington has had some decent rain in the last week.
Theres a good chance ill be around Stairway Falls and beyond on Sunday, I might see you about!
Post a reply