Desktop version
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Good places to take your dogs on a walk

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this site and bush walking in general and was wondering if anyone has come across places that are dog friendly so i can go on a few walks with my 4 legged family as well.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jody and Glen

Re: Good places to take your dogs on a walk

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello there Jody and Glen. Welcome to the forum!

A quick bit of advice that may assist you in getting useful answers is what area in Queensland you are in.
Or what area specifically you are looking to take your dog with you to. Also, do you mean just day walks, or are you contemplating overnighters?

Enjoy the forum!
Adam.

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the advice. We live on the Sunshine Coast. We've only been in QLD for a couple of month and have moved from Vic so any advice is appreciated. We're happy to travel a couple of hours north or south and are mostly looking for day walks.

Thanks for your help.

Jody and Glen

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 11:35 am

There are a number of forum members from Queensland, though the ones I know of are a bit further south than you. They will likely find this topic and respond if they have some ideas.
You could try having a talk to the local council too, sometimes they are actually helpful! :D And the local Parks office...

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:50 pm

I think I came across a place which meet your requirement, and if I remember correctly, it stated "the only place where you can take your pet" in the DERM website, try looking through around Brisbane park and forest.
I don't have time to look through it again now, but maybe later. If you have the time and luck, please let us know~~

Thu 29 Jul, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks ahmondjai,

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/bunyaville/about.html - Bunyaville Conservation Park allows dogs - they only have short walks - but that's better than nothing.
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/daisy-hill/about.html - Daisy hill Conservation Park - they have a couple of descent walks

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/daguilar/about.html - D'Aguilar national Park - i'm not sure if they allow dogs but i'll give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Thu 29 Jul, 2010 7:25 pm

You are welcome, Jody.
I'm a newcomer myself on this forum, and appriciate many helpful suggestions on here as well.
sorry I couldn't locate them for you, too lazy and busy on preparing for my own trip, hunting gears, etc.
but good to see you've found it~
just a bit of advise for Daisy Hill, they are mountain bikers around, 2 usual entry point from underwood road, near the buddist temple and the other one is near the Daisy Hill koala centre. And if you wanted to venture deeper, it's quite a large area with lots of tracks, so, print and bring the map with you~
enjoy~~

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Jodyglen2010

If you happen to see this, there is a good place for a full day family walk with dogs, and some great waterholes for swimming in summer too. Probably shouldn't let you in on the semi-secret, but it is hard to find places for dog folk.

Check out 'Gheerulla Creek'. You access the start of the walk about 2/3 of the way on the road to Kenilworth from the Bruce Highway. Is is part of the 'Sunshine Coast Great Walks' series, but allows dogs. The start of the walk is also near an entrance to a motorbike riding area, but the two diverge quickly and it is very rare that you hear any noise on the walk. The track is well made and follows the creek up to some water falls (about 8km one way from memory). If you are feeling energetic, you can go in a circuit, veering to the right and climbing the ridgeline to the West, for some nice views, until you get to the waterfall and then follow the creek back down (total walk about 16-20km I recall). It links up to a longer multi-day walk coming from Mapleton (Montville?) as well. Happy walking!

Sat 14 Aug, 2010 6:05 pm

As a reply to Jodyglen's previous reference to dogs in D'Aguilar National Park the following is a quote from a 2007 Qld Parks & Wildlife media release:
'Dogs not welcome on national parks
Dog owners be warned - people taking dogs to national parks could face a fine of up to $1500.
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) is investigating several reports of dogs being brought into Daintree National Park and the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area.
QPWS Senior Ranger Tina Alderson said it was illegal to have dogs, except guide dogs, in national parks and the majority of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area.
"A maximum penalty of $1500 applies to anyone found with a dog in the national park," she said.'

Tom

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 6:00 pm

You can't take dogs into National parks and the Brisbane forest park , but you can in State forests - that's Mt Mee, Beerburrum and Benarkin, for example, and around Ipswich as well. Karawatha forest on the south... just check on the DERM site beforehand, sometimes there are small protected areas.

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:39 am

Not Mt. Mee - it's now part of D'Aguilar National Park. State Forests continue to be re-classified, often as national parks, so it's best to check with the DERM website.
Post a reply