Sunshine Coast full day walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sunshine Coast full day walk

Postby straw » Thu 07 Apr, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has done a good full day sunshine coast region walk lately? A circuit would be great but not necessary but it is just me so i won't be able to do a car shuffle. A 20km or so walk would be ideal. I'm not sure what roads/walks are closed due to recent rainfalls but im sure it would also be a lovely time of year with waterfalls, streams etc.

Thanks again for wonderful advice and info!
straw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Sunshine Coast full day walk

Postby melot » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 9:13 pm

Maybe consider the circuit section of Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk. My son has my map for this walk at present,so you would need to double check these directions as I'm relying on my memory here! You could walk in either direction but leaving your car at Delicia Rd near the gate across the old forestry road down to Geeruhla Falls should mean the last section to regain your car in the afternoon would be downhill. If you visit Geeruhla Falls first, then you would continue on the great walk track along Geeruhla creek where there are some good swimming holes after decent rain (keep an eye out for some red track marking tape on the creek side of the track -there's a deep waterhole nearby. There's a 4wd campground at Geeruhla (which could be an alternative start/finish point if you have a 4WD)... then a bit of a hot slug in summer up the hot side of the hill in the afternoon towards Thilba Thalba Great Walk Campsite. There's an unofficial rocky lookout on the "summit" before Thilba Thalba and another between Thilba Thalba & your car back on Delicia RD... But Thilba Thalba has a great "sunset drinkies" platform with very comfortable views down into the valley. The last part of the walk home to the car is a bit nondescript but then its not far to drive to Mapleton Pub. This would be about 20kms I think. My son walked from Ubagee Campsite down to the falls and along the route I've described then back up to Ubagee for the night as a day walk - but please, double check these directions on the Great Walk map.
melot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland